It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists uncover deja vu mystery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Great, now if they could figure out why some deja vu is accompanied by premonitions of the future, then we might be getting somewhere.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

What does ATS have to say regarding this topic?

They are wrong...

Its a glitch in the Matrix

Someone had to say it

I thought of that too, but that moment where the black cat goes across the doorway is a perfect example of what was said here

In other words, not a true sense of what many experience.. the example given in the film seems to have been based on that 'description' I've linked to.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
How can someone say that because someone suffers from deja vu that their an imbecile I have suffered from this since I was a small child and let me inform the idiot who said that, I had and still have an IQ way above average so that's 1 point filed under B for bin

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

eh ah its a timeloop and they ;discovered the same thing again; as it was also reportted in the thread here too in that previous timeloop ..could be a memory shortage though

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
this is django

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I agree with the poster that said science wants to make people who have deja vu feel like imbeciles.I completely see that, they use every attempt to strip away the mysteries of us, to scientific robotic, no depth BS and that gets under my skin.I have deja vu quite often, I also have a memory like an elephant, some of us even remember being infants or dreams we had as toddlers.That shows some people have strong cognative abilities maybe people who do not have deja vu have weak memory skills. There always has to be something wrong with people who have unexplainable experiences in the eyes of science, that shows they have no intrest in doing their job just debunking with outrageous explanations. Sorry guys if you have deja vu, you have a peanut brain therefore anything you have amazing to share with us is a this point irrelavent.

Thanks OP......I let my anger out with this post lol.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

i will try to explain... the 'stimulus' to the brain for naturally occurring DeJa Vu is not the same as the 'coaxing out' of an DeJa Vu by scientists on test subjects which the story points out

the small brain structures might just mean those are individuals who are fined tuned to the phenomnema
where as the larger structered regions of the frontal lobe have too much input and the DeJaVu experience gets masked out

just what exactly was the stimulus to create a DeJaVu? chemicals, electric probes, harmonics
any of those might create an approximation of a DeJaVu ...
but the real thing is induced by a Quantum level connection with other Universes where that persons' living counterparts live and thrive & are independent of the other selves... except at the moment of transformation

The DeJaVu eureka moment is when the persons soul (which stretches throughout all the multi-verse realities) is suddenly in non-local contact with other 'selves' in other Universe's

i have a viewpoint that the DeJaVu happens when another Universe 'self ' dies and that particular persons Soul energy snaps into ones' body here in this Universe...

creating a pseudo DaJaVu is all the scientists are doing in this report
edit on 28-5-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I'd like to think that these "tiny structures" are a leftover artifact from human evolution, much like the appendix is. Perhaps during our early evolutionary years we needed a "premonitory" sense, and was something we developed to "sense" danger.

After civilization, we relied more upon others instead of our own skills, so without stimulation that area in our brain grew smaller and was used less. It could be a genetic trait.

Personally, I have deja vu all the time, so I find this thread to be interesting. However, I relate my sense of deja vu to dreams that I've had, that come true or "become real" at a latter point in time. I also use my brain a lot, solving crossword puzzles, reading, and meditating, just to name a few examples. I'm also above average intelligence, but I also feel that intelligence is earned, not given.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

If I translate what they're saying, it's ... only stupid people, with very little memory capacity and less brain complexity, have deja vu. The expected result of this is that, in future ... fewer people will report Deja Vu, as they don't wanna be called imbeciles.

With all due respect, i have Deja Vu regularly, not as much as i used to have mind you, and without blowing my own trumpet, i have an IQ of 151 on the Cattel III B scale and would like to think of myself as "not stupid". I don't think the article is actually saying that a smaller Hippocampus means you are stupid.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I live in a complex that has a "club house" or meeting hall. When I first saw it and for weeks after I couldn't get out of my head that I had been there before. I only zapped into the memory the day I saw the stickers on the windows.

35 years previously our scout troop met there periodically. BINGO.

That felt good. That I wasn't "crazy" and just had to push the memory envelope to open the memory location in my brain where that memory was stored. Other times I think I see something or think of something that may have happened before, like in dreams. But if I think hard enough (push it) then I realize all of a sudden, "Oh. That was from that movie I saw." Or my brain sorting the days activity in dream form, etc.

Then prescience is a different thing altogether. That something (unknown) is about to happen, for instance. These come from outside my self.

One time I was standing on the side of a road when a semi truck cut the turn and his back wheels were gonna squish me... I swear on my grave that I heard a distinct voice (in my head) say...,"run".
Just like you read it just now.

That wasn't me. That is that someone (thing) that has shadowed me all my life that steps in once and a while to deliver me. I don't pretend to understand it, just glad for it. It is not from me.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

I completely see that, they use every attempt to strip away the mysteries of us

I agree.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
My grandmother had Alzheimer's disease. She would also get frequent deja vu, in which instance she would forget things that she had forgotten before.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'd like to think that these "tiny structures" are a leftover artifact from human evolution, much like the appendix is. Perhaps during our early evolutionary years we needed a "premonitory" sense, and was something we developed to "sense" danger.

I like that too, it's all connected.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
My grandmother had Alzheimer's disease. She would also get frequent deja vu, in which instance she would forget things that she had forgotten before.

I do that often.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by akushla99

I, as many others, have actually experienced deja vu many times, and I swear blind to my grave that I had dreamt or experienced events way before they ever happened.. this is the part that science now needs to explain.

Do you keep a dream journal? Have you written of a dream and had it come true later?

I have had many instances of deja vu. While it occurs, I have a vivid recollection of a having dreamt the exact scenario I am currently experiencing. However, these events have never shown up in my dream journal.

I believe these dream memories are false, and are false memories created by the deja vu experience.
edit on 28-5-2012 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Nice find OP.

So the study shows that the "...brain's medial temporal lobes, in which memory and recollections originate, were considerably smaller in individuals with the occurrence of déjà vu than in individuals who have not experienced déjà vu." They arrived at this conclusion by comparing the sizes of different brain regions of healthy subjects who have and have not experienced deja vu. They were able to incite deja vu by exciting the hippocampus, and from this they were able to produce an accurate recounting of who could and could not experience deja vu. However, all they have shown is that there's a structural difference in the hippocampuses. This does not define the true origins of deja vu, as they explain here: "We think that it is probably a certain small "error in the system" caused by higher excitability of hippocampuses." Thinking and knowing are two different things.

I have experienced deja vu several times in my life. I'm 34. So from this I can say with some confidence that my medial temporal lobes are smaller than those who have not experience deja vu.

When I had it it felt like I had been there before. But as others have stated, it's probably some sort of lag in the brain that's not sourced so when you later recall it, you're not sure where it's from. So imagine you're looking at a lake and suddenly you have a few moments where you're seeing the lake but you're unable to measure temporal relations. In other words, you're unable to say WHEN you saw it. It only happens for an instant and then you see the lake and are able to detect WHEN. You recall the instant when this ability was absent and wonder WHEN the viewing of the lake occurred; in the past, the future, or what? Anyway, this is just me taking a stab at its dimensions.

Or perhaps a bit of memory is lost and the brain "re-creates" the rest of it based on past experience. For example, one time I had defja vu and thought "Everything will be ok." I thought this because the feeling was that the future would be ok. Perhaps this experience is created because a past memory is inserted into present memory and gives the experiencer the impression of psychic phenomena. Of course, none of my deja vu moments ever gave me a more solid "premonition". So I was unable to say whether the future correlated with my deja vu or not. I mostly just forgot about it anyway.

Damage to the media temporal lobes can lead to amnesia, as it says here:
en.wikipedia.org...

The medial temporal lobes (near the Sagittal plane that divides left and right cerebral hemispheres) are thought to be involved in episodic/declarative memory. Deep inside the medial temporal lobes lie the hippocampi, which are essential for memory function - particularly the transference from short to long term memory and control of spatial memory and behavior. Damage to this area typically results in anterograde amnesia.

Anterogrde Amnesia:
en.wikipedia.org...

Anterograde amnesia is a loss of the ability to create new memories after the event that caused the amnesia, leading to a partial or complete inability to recall the recent past, while long-term memories from before the event remain intact. This is in contrast to retrograde amnesia, where memories created prior to the event are lost. Both can occur together in the same patient. To a large degree, anterograde amnesia remains a mysterious ailment because the precise mechanism of storing memories is not yet well understood, although it is known that the regions involved are certain sites in the temporal cortex, especially in the hippocampus and nearby subcortical regions.

So your ability to create new memories would be compromised, possibly fully.

I find this particularly interesting:

As described above, patients with anterograde amnesia have a wide range of forgetfulness. Declarative memory can be further subdivided into episodic and semantic memory. Episodic memory is described as the recollection of autobiographical information with a temporal and/or spatial context, whereas semantic memory involves recall of factual information with no such association (language, history, geography, etc.) In a case study of a girl who developed anterograde amnesia during childhood, it was determined that the patient C.L. retained semantic memory while suffering an extreme impairment of episodic memory.

I wonder if portions of episodic or semantic memory can be impaired, rather than completely?
edit on 28-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Fair enough, they've found the bits of the brain that are connected to the experience of deja vu but, imo, this still leaves us with the question of why does deja vu occure and how is that one can experience something in the brain only for that event to actually happen days/weeks/years later?

Are these types of brain having premonitions? Is it a paranormal link? Are dreams part of the equation?

Some say that the deja vu event was something that they had once dreampt of, so what made the dream real?
Was the underlying message of the dream the key that made the person choose the exact path that led to the deja vu event?

Do people who claim to be mediums have similar brains? Are they really able to tune into something that reaches beyond, but on the same kind of frequency as deja vu?
In other words, a deja vu event is something that happens in the futre from a past dream/image/message whereas a medium experiences things from the past in the present (talking to/seeing long dead people/events)

I'm glad that we are one step closer to answering some of this, that there is actual physical evidence in our bodies. Now all we need to do is join the dots..

The human brain has a way of rewiring itself. So if one area is lacking, another is built up to compensate. I have profuse sensory issues, but I still function totally normal. No one would even know it. A doctor once noticed that I could feel a hand behind me even though it wasn't touching me. I could feel their hand nearly a foot away. I never even realized that I was doing this. In my case my psychic abilities compensate. So perhaps this really isn't even a disability and is in fact evolution!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anarchy2012

I am with you !!

My IQ is higher than our President's and I experience deja vu sometimes weekly...

splain dat!!!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
this whole thread is full of Lulz

1 teeny little study from the lofty heights of an ivory tower

AND SUDDENLY ALL IS EXPLAINED!!!

truly the height of ignorance is believing that everything can be explained away

by using a small fraction of a limited mode of consciousness

this is equivalent to sticking your head in the ground or up your but
and claiming you can see infinity and eternity

1 teeny little study from the lofty heights of an ivory tower
and the positivists suddenly are no different from the paredoliaists
that see nibiru in a lens flare

lol! Great post, I agree to the fullest.

Nothing has been "uncovered" here.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Further proof the enlightenment and stupidity go hand in hand.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join