It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacifism is cowardice!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I bet it really chaps you that Mitt Romney sat out Viet Nam in Paris as a Mormon missionary.

Now that you bring it up I wonder how that would work as the Commander in Chief. Conflict or not.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Now if someone breaks into my house to rob us and is confronted and intends to harm my family or I, I'll take them down because their actions had easily foreseeable consequences. They gave up their right to life when they threatened mine and my families right to life and invaded the privacy we value.

Certainly, we would be faltering before wicked people if we choose to be unarmed and unable to resist an assailant who might be threatening our life. It is a serious mistake to equate a civilized society with one in which the decent people are doormats for wicked people to trample on.

There's a maxim law, a Roman maxim that says “he who would be deceived be deceived” behind every argument is someones ignorance.

History shows us time and time again that If we don’t control ourselves and our environment somebody else will control us and our environment.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Great post, really got me reviewing my beliefs on the matter

I'm generally against war and violence but I realize that you cannot be a pacifist when something really bad is going on because the fact is, true evil will never falter in the face of pacifism.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Yin and Yang
Good Evil blah blah...

It took many years for me to strike a balance and I am against all wars.
But I know it's idiocy to deny that evil or violence is a part of everyone.

controlling and making it subordinate to good is the key.

b

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

I'm glad you found the thread thought provoking, dude. It wasn't my original intent, but a positive side effect is still a positive side effect.
Keep telling your students what you're telling them. In the end, I think most people will know when they have to resort to violence. By telling them never to do it, you ensure that they only do it in that moment when their or somebody else's life depends on it. Thanks for your post!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I am against war and violence. I will put down my gun to preach non violence. I will also pick it back up if my sermon fails. I will pay to send my only son and daughter to Canada before I offer them up as cannon fodder to the US Military Industrial Machine. I love my country but not the philosophy of my country's "leaders".
I will do great bodily harm to anyone who threatens the life and/or well being of me or my family. I will protect a stranger from harm at risk to my own well being.
I hate no human being. I love and respect all life. I am your friend even if you are not of my belief system.

Am I a Pacifist?
Because I'm trying my best to be one!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I consider myself a pacifist, not your ordinary one at all, mind you.

I understand what you mean, people hollering pacifism merely to escape a confrontation, but not all of them are like that, just as not all Christians are in league with the Westboro Baptist church.

I am a pacifist, in the sense that I refuse to fight a senseless battle. I hate fighting. I find it pretty pointless, usually. Most of the fights I see, most of the people I see "getting their hands dirty" aren't helping or protecting anyone. They're fighting for the sake of fighting. That's what most fighting is nowadays, sadly. If you're saying that I'm a coward because I have the ability to simply walk away when some pathetic angry loser picks a fight with me, sorry, you are dead f***ing wrong.

But, when I'm backed in a corner (which has happened to me before, when I was in middle school in a particularly bad neighborhood), I will fight my way out of it until I escape, somehow win by a stroke of luck, or get my ass beat.

And I'm not a pacifist because I'm a female, either. I see a lot of males who are a lot more spineless than I am.

I am a hardcore chick, blood red hair, spikes, chains, black make up, the works. I am a relatively angry person, I scare the hell out of everyone I see, and I love to collect and practice with weapons of all kinds. I consider myself a pretty damn bad ass

I ain't a coward.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

What pacifism really is,is us being told that we must live with dishonour

That is stupid, backwards and very immature.

I like that a samuria would remove your head for looking at him the wrong way.

That is stupid and insane, not to mention terrible for society.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat
reply to post by Gauss

Thus sayeth the coward. Only ppl that reject "deciding not to kill" are the great cowards among us. Destruction and horror are your contribution to Mankind. Give me a Gandhi, Martin Luther King, even Jesus over a sniveling little weasel like you.

I wouldn't call him a weasel or a coward. A brainwashed, jingoistic, testosterone poisoned grunt, perhaps, yes...but a coward or weasel, no.

I'm sorry...do you know me? I didn't think so. How about you stick to the issue instead of slinging around insults, yes? Or perhaps you have too much testestorone in your body to do that?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Fighter or a Lover - either is going to die with the mindset that they're a martyr for something.

But, dead men rule nothing.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Anything non pacifism should be a last resort.

Should always try to be done peacefully, but if some idiot forces your hand and needs force to be stopped, what choice do you have?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by derpest
Fighter or a Lover - either is going to die with the mindset that they're a martyr for something.

But, dead men rule nothing.

At least if you fight you have a chance at surviving. If you try to love the person that are trying to kill you, you're not going to survive for very long.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

The reality of the situation is that you have to train to recognize the proper characterization of the situation that you are in. There are times that you can attempt to talk someone down, there are times that attempting to do so will just get you killed and you must act without hesitation.

That is the reality of it. Survive or don't.

Jaden

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearMitochondria

That's just wrong... there are several situations where direct, violent action is absolutely called for as a first resort. If you think that it is always only a last resort, you need to get some training.

Jaden
edit on 28-5-2012 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Just because you are fighting someone does not mean you do not have to Love them. I do believe that. It just depends on the reasons with wht you are fighting.

Liek others, I agree fighting should be a last resort - noone likes being a doormat.

But, once a fighter, where does the line stop for what you are willing to fight for? Your life? Your loved ones? Your beliefs? The Status Quo? Because someone told you to?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The following sums up my beliefs perfectly. Verse 2 is the most relevant regarding the topic.
Yes I am ex-military and I abhor violence.
Am I a pacifist ?
Those who know me would say yes.
Am I a coward?
Those who know me would say no.

TaoDeChing - Lao Tze

Armies are tools of violence;
They cause men to hate and fear.
The sage will not join them.
His purpose is creation;
Their purpose is destruction.

Weapons are tools of violence,
Not of the sage;
He uses them only when there is no choice,
And then calmly, and with tact,
For he finds no beauty in them.

Whoever finds beauty in weapons
Delights in the slaughter of men;
And who delights in slaughter
Cannot content himself with peace.

So slaughters must be mourned
And conquest celebrated with a funeral.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Noncompatible

Brilliant. Star.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Noncompatible

Same here. Starred. Beautiful poem, dude.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by derpest
reply to post by Gauss

But, once a fighter, where does the line stop for what you are willing to fight for? Your life? Your loved ones? Your beliefs? The Status Quo? Because someone told you to?

I think that's something each person is going to have to ask themselves. But, fighting for what YOU think is right, and fighting for what is RIGHT, are two different things entirely. In the end, there's no clear cut line, but as long as fighting remains the last resort we can't go too wrong.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It is verse 31 of the Tao De Jing. Full translation here
www.chinapage.com...

I also recommend youmightbeataoist.com...

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join