It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacifism is cowardice!

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I think its the word "pacifist" that's causing a lot of the problems. 90% of the time you hear the word 'pacifist' is when a white yuppie naive (etc) young person is bragging about how non-violent they are.

"One time, I didn't punch this guy."

"Oh yeah?! You think that's impressive?! Well one time, I didn't punch two guys!"

I try to live for me, not for a persona. As the Buddha said "You'll be punished by your anger, not for your anger."

And no, I actually had to google "Sarek" to see what you meant. I use it because it's the name of Spock's dad in Star Trek.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
It's interesting to see selfproclaimed pacifists saying that Violence is ignorant / unnatural. Or that it only leads to more violence. The latter may be true it certain circumstances, but the former is ignorant in itself.

Show me one species on the planet that does not, at some time, enact violence, and I will show you a liar. Violence in it's self is neither good nor evil. And most certainly it is natural. To say otherwise is to deny and ignore the genetics, sociology, psychology, evolution, and history of every species.

In fact, one may posit that violence has led to some of the the worlds largest scientific advancements. However, that is another discussion for another time.

On the subject of samurai; some would say that our species has advanced beyond needing such things. That in modern society there is no place for people like the samurai.

To those people Bushido is antiquated and mundane. Apearently today we should admire people like Snooki and Kim Kardashian, and cherish materialism.

Deny Ignorance!
edit on 31-5-2012 by TruthAboveIgnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthAboveIgnorance
It's interesting to see selfproclaimed pacifists saying that Violence is ignorant / unnatural. Or that it only leads to more violence. The latter may be true it certain circumstances, but the former is ignorant in itself.

Show me one species on the planet that does not, at some time, enact violence, and I will show you a liar. Violence in it's self is neither good nor evil. And most certainly it is natural. To say otherwise is to deny and ignore the genetics, sociology, psychology, evolution, and history of every species.

In fact, one may posit that violence has led to some of the the worlds largest scientific advancements. However, that is another discussion for another time.

On the subject of samurai; some would say that our species has advanced beyond needing such things. That in modern society there is no place for people like the samurai.

To those people Bushido is antiquated and mundane. Apearently today we should admire people like Snooki and Kim Kardashian, and cherish materialism.

Deny Ignorance!
edit on 31-5-2012 by TruthAboveIgnorance because: (no reason given)

I hear ya, dude. Especially on the samurai part. I'll worship Hijikata Toshizo (personal idol) over Kim Kardashian any day. The first is worthy of worship. The second, whoever the hell she is, is not. And this world would be a lot better if people instilled some chivalry or bushido in their kids.
edit on 31-5-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Violence should always be an absolute last resort IMO. Sadly it's very often a first resort these days, and diplomatic ties are often severed early to ensure that conflict can be the only way forward. It's becoming pretty clear it's all part of a larger agenda, and to be opposed to that doesn't make you a pacifist it just makes you a sane human being.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I already KNOCKED MYSELF OUT!!!!
Thats why I'm KICKIN @$#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I completely agree with your main post Gauss, I have met too many hipsters who are pacifists.

Dont get me wrong, I abhore violence, and think it quite devolved, but you need to be able to step up if someone is trying to kill you or rape your woman.

This generally brings a notion of reality to pacifists.

Action reaction.

Fight or flight.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
"what if" every person was a pacifist towards every other person... what would the world be like..... in our civil society this is what is aimed towards in cooperative and productive manners,,, even having laws and jails for people who are violent towards others.....

"what if" every person was a (whatever the opposite of a pacifist is,, a throwingfist?) to every other person,, what would the world be like?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
""“Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”"" - Herman Goering - Nazi party 1941.

Don't be led!

Nuff said.

Rosha

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
reply to post by AboveBoard

This scene from Babylon 5 fairly illustrates your point:

Hey, thanks Old American - great illustration! (Sometimes I don't know if anyone reads my posts...)
Most appreciated...

peace,
- AB

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthAboveIgnorance

Couldn't have said it better myself a scientific proof will show all pacifists without question wrong, Humans though are one of the few animals to show pacifism with effect. Why kill when you can negotiate? but that being said we cannot and will not forget our nature and if something/someone is wrong "so be it"

The problem is that ways of chivalry are well gone which in itself isn't bad, the thing that's bad is people these days have very little to look up on and think "well that's right and honorable" their too busy with the naughty vices of today

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
reply to post by TruthAboveIgnorance

Couldn't have said it better myself a scientific proof will show all pacifists without question wrong, Humans though are one of the few animals to show pacifism with effect. Why kill when you can negotiate? but that being said we cannot and will not forget our nature and if something/someone is wrong "so be it"

The problem is that ways of chivalry are well gone which in itself isn't bad, the thing that's bad is people these days have very little to look up on and think "well that's right and honorable" their too busy with the naughty vices of today

I agree and disagree with you on chivalry. I miss chivalry.
Well, I always preferred bushido, but you know what I mean. I'm starting to suspect that chivalry and bushido both had their own purposes in society, and without them, we have...this. (I'm gesturing at the world around me, but y'all can't see it.) I mean, there was crime and bandits during the Samurai and Knight eras too, but nowhere near this bad... I think humanity needs something like chivalry to keep us from going completely crazy.

Just a random thought.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
you all should study the art of fighting without fighting
might save you some dents

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Your right, I never studied that much about Bushido studied a lot about the knights of the templar.
We do need some form of honourable and honest people in our societies, back in the day you would either have a lot of respect for these people or you would fear the very sight of them knowing you were a wrong one and most likely about to lose your life.

Now these days you have Judges and Police to protect society of whom a lot of are corrupt, they'd rather throw rapists, murderers and thieves in jail and they usually end up coming out more skilled at their evil deeds than they went in.
Back in the day they feared the protectors of society and what they would do to them
but these days they get protected and looked after in a jail

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join