It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more. I'm done.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

This is just a personal thought I had while reading your OP, take it for what you will.

If all those on ATS surrender to these people that have nothing better to do than insult others, then yes, this place will go into the crapper. But if ya'll stand firm, and just ignore an insulting post, then intelligent discussions will return because the "troll" or whatever heck it's called won't be fed.
I've been blasted too, though probably more reasonably than you (I had my facepalm posts, threads, etc.). But, anyways, once I read a post that opens up "You stupid this or that, you don't know blip", I'm done. I skip it and move on to the next one. If the person actually had something to offer, they'd open with it, not insults.

When we let the insulters win, we all lose (quality people).

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Im on and off here at ATS,,,I only read the common scense type post and most dont know ATS has many different forums.
ATS attracts alot of idiots who play games here,trolls,and just idiots and the far lefter's that are so far left I'll spare the insults..
Even the sick killer shooter who shot that congress woman was a member here....
Go figure..

I voice my opinion,,,dont argue and make a reply maybe,,,,if they dont like it to bad,,,they can go back being a rightous politician/cleric/nut-case or what ever behind their keyboard...

Your one post calling them out and make a voice on your opinion hurts them,,,they always have a following also,,,,(a proxy clan who cant live with themselves after all the US or who ever has done type saga???

AS for atrocity!
Try 8500 acid attacts on women in pakistan!(2011)
How about 1 in 3 men in south africa rape!!!
By 2030 20% of Africa will need the Aids drug!!!
Many die there with out it as of now...

VOICE your input and opinion!!!!

No need to insult others,,,If Islamic,,,show them facts,,,they dont care either way....

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
NOOOOOOOOOO you're one of the voices of sanity here!!

PC makes a very good point here SG... I hope that you will think about it: the "voices of sanity" are VERY rare on ATS. This is why your post grabbed my heart even though I do not know you. There is so little TRUTH here.
Rat poison in a nutshell. This is why we are trying to hold on to you. This is a critical time in history and the TRUTH needs to prevail over LIES! "Pointless trash" from people like 12out3r is what is destroying ATS and the entire world. We HAVE to take a stand against the hate, LIES, and the deception! What this particular person said is a LIE and he knows it! SG you have a PURPOSE! Don't loose focus on that purpose! Do like I do, scroll past the liars post's without even reading them. (I look for the avatars)

edit on 28-5-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think this is a good opportunity to not only reply to SG's OP, but also give an assessment of the nature of the ATS community, and how it relates to other forums.First and foremost, I think SG is a quality member of the ATS community. her posts are usually pretty insightful, and well balanced for the most part. I would agree with some other posters on the thin skinned comments. This is not a personal attack on her character, some people on forums sometimes have a hard time dealing with trolls or whatever you may like to call them. Some posters have a hard time dealing with others who may disagree with them.I know the number of posts I have comes across as I may be inexperienced, on the contrary I've dealt with message boards for quite some time now. If you think it's rough on ATS, you'll get eaten alive on sports forums, where there is very little regulation and monitoring. I think the MODS on ATS do a pretty good job at regulating the conversation to keep it civilized for the most part (if you're paying attention quite a few posts end up being edited by MODS). The advise I would give SG would be, at the end of the day ATS is still a message board. You're always going to have @$$holes slip through the cracks, it's just the nature of the beast. Even if the poster is a quality poster and you disagree, sometimes the best rout is to agree to disagree. You'll see it a lot in the way I post. I'll make my point, and then drop off of a conversation. I will read what other posters have to say but won't respond. It'll just end up in a never ending circle of argument. It's just something I learned from other message board communities. I can argue all day, but why bother. I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that. Don't get pushed out of a good community by a couple of rotten apples.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
yea i don't like commenting much on here, people act like they care about sheet but all they do is argue on here with people, i find you tube a better place for knowledge now.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hiphoprevolution

That makes me really sad to hear you say that, Ats is full of information and a large quantity of that is very insightful if you can take the time to find it.

Like i said we as a membership need to take it upon ourselves to help moderate this forum. Through logical steps, step 1. notify when needed
step 2. ignore as needed
step 3. do not engage in name calling and mud slinging
step 4. be prepared for the likely hood of rude comments and be prepared to not take them to heart.
step 5. treat others as you would like to be treated, and keep an open mind when dealing with people with differing opinions then yourself.

just my thoughts

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I "left ATS forever" in December and put out a thread about it that got a lot of attention. A big part of the reason I didn't return for so long after was that I felt I'd look stupid coming back after a thread where I said I was leaving. The truth is nobody cares and my friends here are just happy I'm back it seems. So if you want to come back even after writing this thread, OP, you should just do so and don't hesitate because we need good people!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If foolish words on a TV screen, put there by even bigger foolish people bother you that much, how do you survive in everyday life in the real world ? Over the years I've been shot, stabbed, blown up and shot down. Some how I just can't relate to thread responses buy stupid people, being that harmful. Maybe it just me.

Buck

" Are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed "

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by flatbush71
If foolish words on a TV screen, put there by even bigger foolish people bother you that much, how do you survive in everyday life in the real world ? Over the years I've been shot, stabbed, blown up and shot down. Some how I just can't relate to thread responses buy stupid people, being that harmful. Maybe it just me.

Buck

But dude, you've only made 8 posts, she's made over 2000. You just haven't had the bad experiences...which is a good thing.

The worst ones usually attack on something really, really stupid. Instead of addressing the post or the thread, they'll attack a typo and try to make it sound like you are the most uneducated idiot that ever walked upright in order to goad you into an argument, then they fuss and scream for two hours (or two days or weeks) just to be buttholes.
As far as those guys are concerned, I'm not a cactus expert, but I know a prick when I see one.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

His points are valid no matter how many posts he has.That's the thing...it's the goddamn internet.You can't let what people say get under your skin.I see your point too,they do attack you for stupid things,as I found out where someone put me in their signature because they took my post out of context.And didn't get exactly what I meant.I laughed it off and didn't make a thread saying I'm leaving though.It's all about being thick skinned.I don't care what a bunch of strangers on a message board think about me.They don't know me.There's no need to get upset about it.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Now I spend most of my time in the survival threads away from 'out there' threads, seems they only get burned up, attract the more negative type of people who do contribute of course, but this leads to a mental war of 'smarty pants' and there's basically no healthy discussion, which puts people off contributing to the thread with their thoughts of fear of being put down.

This snip from the top of the Aliens and UFO's threads.

ts. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of the existence of extraterrestrials and the related conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of our tradition of supporting the examination of the extraterrestrial phenomenon on the related conspiracy theories, cover-ups, and scandals. Replies that make fun or otherwise ridicule and demean those posting honest experiences and/or questions will be removed. Members who post such responses repeatedly will be banned.

So my question is why do these threads attract more "Impossible" type discussions than "Maybe" discussions ?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Some days we wake up with a thinner skin than others or just get up on the wrong side of the bed, ack we are only human after all.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I thought the motto of ATS was to deny ignorance. Apparently we should change it to ridicule those who disagree.

I figured it out!!

some people got confused. Instead of thinking of it as "Deny Ignorance: don't allow lack of knowledge continue", they saw it as "Deny Ignorance: tell people we're not dumb as a box of rock even though we are". They were just trying to live up to their misunderstanding of the motto!! Yeah, they're ignorant, but they deny that they are.
We just have to help them understand the real motto meaning so they can see the difference!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Some days we wake up with a thinner skin than others or just get up on the wrong side of the bed, ack we are only human after all.

Yeah, what she said!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Just another reason to take ANYTHING posted here with a fine grain of Salt. You are correct ATS is NOT like it was back in the day.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I have only read your opening post on this thread.
If you are being insulted on a regular basis these could be the reasons...
1.Another member can only express themselves by using negative speech.
2.Something you posted made another member angry.
3.Your opinions and posts could be motivating another member to find whatever
it takes to push your buttons.Therefor,baiting you to respond in a negative way.
4.Other members could simply be jealous and want you off the board.
Bottomline...If you believe in everything you post and standby what you post,
never let anyone else steer you away from your beliefs and convictions.
Never allow yourself to lower your own standards and feed their negative attitudes.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by flatbush71

Buck

What ever in the world are you doing that's put you in so much danger? Are you a police officer, in the armed forces, or a movie stunt man? I find this fascinating, and if you wouldn't mind sharing sometime, I'd love to hear more about your experiences.

You and everyone else on this thread are correct. Its absurd to let someone's comments throw me for such a loop. In my defense I will say it had been a very bad day and that was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Sometimes that happens.

Since then I've had a chance to compose myself, read the wonderful replies and advice from my ATS family, and I've decided I won't let idiocy run me off. I obviously need to work on the thick skin thing, because I am "soft-hearted;" its just part of who I am .

Love your last quote. Reminds me of my favorite from Stephen King's Shawshank Redemption:

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

Thanks for the wise words Buck.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Why announce you;re leaving smyleegirl?.... just leave quietly.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DamusFucious

Why announce you;re leaving smyleegirl?.... just leave quietly.

Sometimes griping about it makes you feel better. This is the rant forum, after all. But I've decided not to take things so personally, so another try is in order.

Happy Tuesday!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hey everyone - look at the outcome of this thread.

Step one:

OP full of woe and angst. Threatening to leave.

Step two:

Gains attention that the OP sorely desires.

Finally step three:

OP: "Hey guys!! OK I decided I'm here to stay afterall!! Thanks everyone!!"

GIMMIE A BREAK, WE ALL SEEN THIS COMING. YAWN. I'd feel embarrassed if I created a thread such as this.

OK, now I'm REALLY unsubscribing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join