It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm Beryl a poot in the wind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm confused. This is just too surreal. I live in Riverside in Jacksonville. The eye wall has almost reached me. It has barely rained at all and we have had only a few gusts of wind. It is right on top of us. The people on the news are freaking out. The live footage of the reporters shows nothing at all happening, yet they are using verbaige to the contrary even though they are live and we are looking right at them. Not even as impessive as a regular thunder storm. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. Wth is going on? ~Hyp

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HypnoAsp
I'm confused. This is just too surreal. I live in Riverside in Jacksonville. The eye wall has almost reached me. It has barely rained at all and we have had only a few gusts of wind. It is right on top of us. The people on the news are freaking out. The live footage of the reporters shows nothing at all happening, yet they are using verbaige to the contrary even though they are live and we are looking right at them. Not even as impessive as a regular thunder storm. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. Wth is going on? ~Hyp

You should have SOMETHING... NOAA

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.2N 81.1W
ABOUT 35 MI...60 KM E OF JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA
ABOUT 75 MI...120 KM SSE OF BRUNSWICK GEORGIA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70 MPH...110 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 270 DEGREES AT 7 MPH...11 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...993 MB...29.32 INCHES

I was in SW FL for Charlie and Wilma, and we saw Ivan and Katrina and the others whizz by, I know it ain't fun.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by HypnoAsp

That's odd.My cousin is up that way and she said earlier they were getting nailed.I'm south of there but not in the target area.We've just had some wind and occasional rain.

But really it doesn't surprise me since the storm didn't really look all that organized.I don't see what the big deal is anyway,it's a tropical storm,not a hurricane.It really isn't all that strange.

ETA : The only thing I saw the news reporters hyping was the waves and rip currents and all that.They weren't hyping the storm itself.They've pretty much said it's not all that organized.I think YOU may have been expecting something worse...
edit on 28-5-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
www.wunderground.com...

Looking at that it looks like georgia and south carolina are getting it worse though.
edit on 28-5-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I live in Jacksonville also, we have barely got any rain, less than an inch.

Wind is no more severe as with any summer storm, and it comes in short bursts.

This storm was so weak, one of the news reporters said storm causing limbs to fall and 'pinestaw on the roads'

However, there are currently 26,000 without power, I've been sitting in power and AC all night myself.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

But really it doesn't surprise me since the storm didn't really look all that organized.I don't see what the big deal is anyway,it's a tropical storm,not a hurricane.It really isn't all that strange.

it strengthened considerably today very quickly, it started developing an inner wall as it hit land. We were maybe 1-2 hours away from it being a catagory 1. It was 992 millibars and very symmetrical.

The storm was as close as you can possibly get to a hurricane, without technically being one.
edit on 28/5/12 by xstealth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Per the news recently, many are without power and trees are down. Here in Fl power outages and falling trees are really normal during our thunder storms.The images on the news tonight we see often when there isn't any thing else to report. The news did also say the eye was breaking up without the over zealous hype as before. Lol I must be in some vortex as all I've had is a little wind and the kind of rain you really don't mind only walking briskly from your car to the office door & it has been on top of me for hours! The radar images above me sure do look bad. I guess I should have purchased a lotto ticket today. : p

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Every TS or Hurricane I've been through has ended up being no big deal so far. With some we barely even got rained on. However, the news makes a big deal out of them since, I believe, Hurricane Andrew. People were unprepared for the level of that storm, which quickly intensified at the last minute to a CAT 5. The news now treats all such events as an emergency, because they can change rapidly, and people fail to take them serious enough. The biggest danger with such storms is the surge, which can quickly cut off evacuation routes, and kill those who stayed behind. Because of this, the news makes a major deal out of all such storms because they want to emphasize the need for those who need to evacuate to do so in advance. No matter the storm, and no matter the level of news reporting, we always end up with some idiot who gets trapped because they failed to heed the warnings. People who stay behind put our emergency personnel in danger, because when they realize the gravity of their situation, they want others to put their lives at risk to come rescue them from it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yes, you are correct. I've lived here my whole life and have weathered extreme storms quite a few times. I know that drill well. This time there was no real warning until the last minute due to the unexpected rapid mph change. What I really find strange is watching local news reporters stating live that they are being blown around, when clearly they are not. We have had very little rain. I have just landscaped. I watch the radar regularly praying for a cloud. Last week a minuscule blip of a cloud caused Severe lightning, thunder and fallen trees. Today the radar looks like all the angels in heaven flushed their johns right on top of me and I only got a whiff of fart.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

Originally posted by nightstalker78

it strengthened considerably today very quickly, it started developing an inner wall as it hit land. We were maybe 1-2 hours away from it being a catagory 1. It was 992 millibars and very symmetrical.

The storm was as close as you can possibly get to a hurricane, without technically being one.
edit on 28/5/12 by xstealth because: (no reason given)

Yeah I saw just a bit ago that it had strengthened.I suppose where I'm at in Florida is just a bit to far to get the warnings.They've been running tropical storm warnings across my screen pretty much all day.I really don't see this as any different as any other Tropical storm though.No need to get all up in a tizzie.(no I don't mean you)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

The year we had the four in rapid succession there was a lot of discussion about this. The news over reported the first one, which did nothing, then under reported the next one, and so on. After the last one did significant damage down in Sarasota, I believe that the general consensus was it was better to over report them, and have people be prepared, rather then the alternative.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

The year we had the four in rapid succession there was a lot of discussion about this. The news over reported the first one, which did nothing, then under reported the next one, and so on. After the last one did significant damage down in Sarasota, I believe that the general consensus was it was better to over report them, and have people be prepared, rather then the alternative.

I'm assuming you mean 04? When I first moved down here people here were surprised it was big news back in PA.But to get a bit off topic,back north it was the same way with snowstorms.They would hype one and it would fail to be what they said...but when the next one came through they'd be scared to report on it.And that one was always worse than expected.I agree with you that it's better to over report so people atleast can prepare.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Absolutely. My local news & weather radar are reporting severe weather on top of me, a tropical storm. I am not experiencing severe, moderate or even uncomfortable weather. My landscaping requires more rain. My block must be in a bubble.

edit on 28-5-2012 by HypnoAsp because: Over sensitive iPad screen evilly working against me

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
what a weird storm. i saw a post from someone on facebook last night that was logging off because her power was flickering and the wind was picking up. that was late in the evening. she hasn't posted today.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This storm was a freaking joke. We need rain in SE GA and all this "storm" did was get everybody's hopes up. Tropical storm BS.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It has been raining all day here started last night but was sleeping. Hard at times but mostly just a good type rain. It has filled a 5 gallon bucket up half way and it`s sitting under a tree.
We needed the rain here and very happy for the cooler temp.

Actually nothing big to report on wind. Yes there is wind with some gust but nothing scary. I live near the center of North Florida.

That spinning center is just North west of me right now. I`m looking at more rain in my near future it seems.

www.intellicast.com...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
update
Beryl

Tornado from remnants of Beryl destroy homes in NC
Tornado spins off from Tropical Storm Beryl remnants on NC coast; 3 homes destroyed

www.consumerelectronicsnet.com...

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) ' The remnants of Tropical Storm Beryl spun off a tornado that destroyed three homes and damaged dozens of others near the North Carolina coast Wednesday as the system sped toward the Atlantic, authorities said.

Between 40 and 50 homes were damaged near Peletier in the western part of Carteret County, said county Emergency Services Director Jo Ann Smith. She said there were no reports of injuries.

Many homes suffered only minor damage, but three were destroyed when the winds came through shortly before noon, she said.

top topics

join