It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptop just shuts down on it's own!? Help?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Processors get hot. So they use a heatsink and fan to pull the heat away from the cpu and out of the case. To make this more efficient, thermal compound, either a paste, or a pad, is placed between the cpu and heatsink. It has to be done just right, too much makes a mess and becomes less efficient, not enough or uneven, makes it less efficient, which makes the cpu get heat spikes.

I believe this is probably the most likely issue. My laptop does seem to give up a lot of heat when I place my hand next to the vent where the fan is. It pretty much feels like putting your hand near the heater inside a house sometimes. By sometimes, I mean without my fan speeding up because once it speeds up it actually starts to feel cool.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Yep agree with the last few replies. Take the battery out of the equation for now. See if it happens when used with the ac adapter. If so check the ac connecter isn't faulty buy lightly wiggling the connector in the socket.

Have you timed the shut down or does it vary?

As heat is normally a big enemy of laptops you might want to try underclocking the processor within the bios. Drop the cpu frequency/ multiplier as much as possible then the volts at different stages. Keep an eye on the temperatures until you get a substantial deviation 20 degrees or more. Then see if the same problem arises.

You might have to remove the cpu and re-administer heat paste.

Unfortunatley it could also be heat expansion breaking a connection somewhere within the motherboard.

Good luck.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Could be many things, battery, power supply, cpu, fan not working or obscured (dont put on bed covers), intermittent motherboard issue, ram failing, or a software problem.

Try one thing at a time, computer fixing is all about process of elimination.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

I still say it is temperature since your system now got a chipped fan..
It is probably the laptop itself that shuts down and not your cpu monitoring software.
I would get a new fan if i were you or at least try with a laptop cooling pad and see if that helps.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark

Originally posted by BinarySamurai
You do realize that if the fan was damaged there could of been damage to the cpu before you got it. Shutting down randomly is a very hard thing to track down the cause of. You could have a failing hard drive, unseated or bad memory, blown capacitors, and so on.

Hmm there was damage to the fan. Just a peice of it broken off. Think of a flower with pedels, just take one of those off and that's basically how I can explain that. That peice was cracked, and clogged the fan and stopped it from spinning. I just removed it, that's all. The fan is working now.

A failing hard drive? I think my hard drive is pretty darn good, runs smooth, error free, I really don't have any problems at all with it. Apart from that shut down problem. But blown capacitors? Although, I'm not excatly sure what symtoms that a blown capacitors would present; nor have I ever dealt with that kind of thing before but if you thought of it, I don't know maybe it's likely to be the problem.

But with one less fan blade it is nowhere near as capable at cooling the cpu/gpu.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Most likely a damaged motherboard. I've dealth with it many times as a technician. Especially with HP Pavillions. The way their heatsinks are designed inside pulls heat directly from the CPU over the top of the GPU before it's pushed out by the fan.

While you may not have a heating issue at the moment, prior overheating can cause ongoing problems with with the hardware. When solder points for the GPU and CPU are heated and cooled and heated and cooled, they expand and contract, and it begins to crack and lose contact over time. I've had to replace several motherboards on laptops due to this.

So I would suggest replacing the motherboard. You can always find one for around $80-$100 refurbished online. Maybe Cheaper. They are a pretty simple swap.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is pretty simple.

My last 3 laptops have all done the same thing.

I would not trust CoreTemp to save your ass everytime.

After a while the fan outlet gets dusty, clogged and does not move air anymore. The Thermal Paste dries out and becomes in-effective.

What you must do is take the laptop apart until you get to heatsink and fan outlet. Take the heatsink off of your GPU and CPU, clean off old thermal paste thoroughly. Then clean the fan outlet of dust to ensure full airflow. Now apply your new thermal paste (always get the premium gray colored stuff) to your GPU/CPU, re-affix the heatsink to the motherboard and voila. It will be like a new laptop.

Again, this must be done from time to time regardless of how many programs you install to protect from overheating.

You will eventually have to do this again, depending on where you use your laptop it may be a year maybe 2.

I have done it 3 times in one year, but only because my shop gets dusty when I cut stuff on the CNC table.

edit on 28-5-2012 by godfather420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Mark, i didn't read the giant wall of text, im sorry.

but what your saying sounds alot like a virus, or a prank.

someone or something might have set an annoying countdown timer on your computer, setting it to automatically shut down after a set/ or even random amount of time, causing you great inconvenience.

you need a professional to find that shut down timer and fix it.

it may or may not be linked to an icon on your desktop that you commonly click on.

think: does it ALWAYS happen after i click my internet browser? that's a common area for a prank.

good luck, i hope you fix your computer. peace.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by godfather420
This is pretty simple.

My last 3 laptops have all done the same thing.

I would not trust CoreTemp to save your ass everytime.

After a while the fan outlet gets dusty, clogged and does not move air anymore. The Thermal Paste dries out and becomes in-effective.

What you must do is take the laptop apart until you get to heatsink and fan outlet. Take the heatsink off of your GPU and CPU, clean off old thermal paste thoroughly. Then clean the fan outlet of dust to ensure full airflow. Now apply your new thermal paste (always get the premium gray colored stuff) to your GPU/CPU, re-affix the heatsink to the motherboard and voila. It will be like a new laptop.

Again, this must be done from time to time regardless of how many programs you install to protect from overheating.

You will eventually have to do this again, depending on where you use your laptop it may be a year maybe 2.

I have done it 3 times in one year, but only because my shop gets dusty when I cut stuff on the CNC table.

edit on 28-5-2012 by godfather420 because: (no reason given)

I already cleaned the dust out of the fan a couple of months ago when I got the laptop. I had to take apart every single part just to get to the fan. The motherboard, and all the connecting wieres attatched to the motherboard and I had to make note of where the coords go just to put everything back together correctly. All this, just to reach the fan and the heatsink. I'm suprised my laptop even worked after putting it back together again, and I believe I rather just deal with the shutdowns instead of having to take the whole thing apart again because it was extremly fustrating.

God I wish they would have made it easier to reach the fan like my other laptop. Yes, I've got two laptops but I like this one a lot better due to it having a 222 GB Hard drive. I wouldn't even take this laptop apart just to clean the fan out. I suppose I'll take my laptop into a technician in a few months instead so they can do the work instead of me. I rather pay and have someone take this stupid thing apart then have to do it again.

I appreciate all the replies everyone. I'm sure we narrowed it down quite well to what the problem could be. I'm 80% sure that it's the fan, heatsink, thermal paste situation that needs to be looked into it. And about 20%, of it being a RAM problem and apparently from the Memory Diagnostic test, I've got no errors. So yes, it's definitly a overheating problem that cannot be fixed by simply cleaning the fan of it's dust.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I'm having the same problem with my workstation computer. I had a virus and gave my computer that had XP to the IT department at work. They ghost an image of a newer computer that had windows 7. I later found out that the newer computers drivers were not compatible with the older mother board on my computer. My computer will shut down all by itself, but it will show this error screen saying it has a "Bad Pool Caller?" I have to send it back to IT to get it straightened out. You may have the same problem.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

Mark, i didn't read the giant wall of text, im sorry.

but what your saying sounds alot like a virus, or a prank.

someone or something might have set an annoying countdown timer on your computer, setting it to automatically shut down after a set/ or even random amount of time, causing you great inconvenience.

you need a professional to find that shut down timer and fix it.

it may or may not be linked to an icon on your desktop that you commonly click on.

think: does it ALWAYS happen after i click my internet browser? that's a common area for a prank.

good luck, i hope you fix your computer. peace.

Did you read? This is after a fresh install of windows 7.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I recently had a similar issue to what you are describing. It turned out to be an over-heating issue.

Laptops are designed to be able to handle higher temps than a desktop due to their smaller design where everything is packed in real tight. What happened with mine is the heatsyncs on the main processor got all gunked up with dust so it wasnt able to properly circulate air.

A good way to test is to note what you are doing when it shuts down. If you are using a program that is more cpu intensive, like a game, or even a website that uses a lot of java or silverlight, it will cause your CPU to heat up faster.

Also, does it seem like your laptop is warmer than usual? Is it uncomfortable to have on your lap?

What i had to do to fix mine is take it completely apart and carefully clean out the heat sync. After cleaning it runs like a champ again, and i only had 4 left over screws! lol

If you don't want to take it apart yourself there are lots of computer repair shops around that could give it a once over for a fair price. If you are brave enough to do it yourself there are lots of good videos on youtube with steps by steps on how to disassemble and re-assemble almost any make/model of laptop.

DC

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Overheating. The number one cause of what I deem as "insta-shutdown".

There are safeties built into modern electronics, and sensors, and once a part of the machine over heats, it simply cuts the power to the main board to prevent damage to circuits.

The main cause of overheating is dust build-up on the heatsink and cooling fan. Newer cpus and gpus run at amazing speeds, and the result is excess heat, and therefore they are more sensitive to temperature than older slower computers of generations gone by. Even a slight build-up of dust on a cooling fan reduces air flow by 30%.

I recommend everyone cleaning their cooling fans once every six months just to avoid any issues. Three months if you live in a dusty environment, and if you also leave your computer on 24/7, like I do.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Well you should restore your system again and also update your BIOS settings finally scan your system with updated antivirus if issued not fix then take Technical Support by expert which gives you proper solution regarding this issue.

Technical Support

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join