It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Holy To Non-Religious People?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I ran across this video, and I must say, it's a refreshing take on the beauty of life from a non-religious perspective.

Is it god's will that shapes our world or is it the beauty of mathmatical equations that govern our perception of reality? No one can say for sure, but those who do not believe in a omnipresent being can experience "holiness" in their own unique way.

edit on 27-5-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Personally, I regard Sunday as my "Holy Day". After a week of working, drinking, socializing etc, I take Sunday to just relax and chill out. I set it aside to spend time to myself and no-one else. So to me, I regard it as Holy.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The term 'holy' is completely redundant to someone who doesn't believe in a god.

But to answer the question (as a person who believes 'god' to be a primitive term for the mechanic of our reality, essentially we are all one, thus being god per se) - Everything is holy, because nothing can exist without everything.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Holy

1. Specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.

2. Dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.

3.Saintly; Godly; Pious; Devout: A holy life.

4. Having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.

5. Entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.

Based on the definition of Holy, I would say that the majority of Atheists fall under numbers 3 and 4. I guess those are self-explanatory, as they are not specifically referring to a religion whom base their tenant on the belief in God or Gods.

That, and the materialistic pleasures.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

"Holy" is an adjective that directly signifies positive religious significance.

Sure, one could use the word in a a different way, and use it to describe things that are held in high regard, or anything else. However, it'd be arguable whether or not that's proper usage of the word.

~
Lets just remove the word Holy, and the answer becomes apparent.

Can some things have religious significance to non-religious people? Not really.

Can some things be held in high regard, respected, or thought to be good by non-religious people? Definitely.

The best solution for equivocation always is just to remove the problem word and just state things how they are. No matter how you define Holy, that's the way it is.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

While "holy" is not a word I normally use to describe anything in my particular life, I certainly agree with the premise that the word can be used by non-religious people to describe something precious or particularly meaningful to them. I use the word "sin" to describe certain behaviors. I don't mean a sin against a god, but more like a sin against myself or against man. I think what we're doing to this planet is a sin against man. Not keeping my word is a sin against myself. It's my own personal moral code and I don't hold anyone else to it. I also use the word "sacred", having nothing to do with a god or religion.

The word "holy" does not belong to anyone, any group, or any situation, just like the word "religion", "marriage", or "Christmas". Everyone can use those words and be in line with the various meanings.

reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

"Holy" is an adjective that directly signifies positive religious significance.

That's ONE meaning of the word.

However, it'd be arguable whether or not that's proper usage of the word.

Here's the etymology of the word:

The English word "holy" dates back to at least the 11th Century with the Old English word hālig, an adjective derived from hāl meaning "whole" and used to mean "uninjured, sound, healthy, entire, complete".

Modern religion uses the word to mean something specific, but they didn't make it up and it can have various significance to non-religious people.

The best solution for equivocation always is just to remove the problem word and just state things how they are. No matter how you define Holy, that's the way it is.

I disagree. As with all the other words that religion is trying to keep for themselves (I mentioned some above), I think the best solution is for you to use it as you see fit, and I will use it as I see fit. And we can all accept that.
If anyone has an issue understanding the meaning, I will be happy to explain.

edit on 5/28/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

You are sacred to me. And, puppies and kittens and the planet and the sun... We are all going through this life at the same time. Without all of these wonderful things (fun things, confusing things, frustrating things) my life would be utterly meaningless, boring, and unstimulating to the point where I would be better off just laying down and dying.

I love you, man! And I mean that in a totally not gay way.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well, I feel I just can't stop worshipping those peanut-butter and coco-nut sandwiches of mine.
Seriously:
I think we atheist kind of worship stars or our favourite marvel items or whatever. Take a look to this TV Big Bang Theory series. Quite self-explanatory.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I don't feel like I "worship" anything. I would definitely say that I honor certain people and ideals, but to worship? As I understand the word, it's not something I do.

Those sandwiches sound interesting and must be pretty special.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Those sandwiches sound interesting and must be pretty special.

Yeah! I like tuna fish sandwiches (with just mayo) and a huge bowl of applesauce. People say ewww, but it's really refreshing.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

reply to post by swan001

I don't feel like I "worship" anything. I would definitely say that I honor certain people and ideals, but to worship? As I understand the word, it's not something I do.

Maybe we don't know what we worship till it's gone. COFFEEEEEE!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't know. After passing gas my underwear can get pretty holy sometimes.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Here's the etymology of the word:

The English word "holy" dates back to at least the 11th Century with the Old English word hālig, an adjective derived from hāl meaning "whole" and used to mean "uninjured, sound, healthy, entire, complete".

Modern religion uses the word to mean something specific, but they didn't make it up and it can have various significance to non-religious people.

Where I come from, that's "Wholly" not "Holy". I was not speaking about it's origin though, but it's modern use. Again, the real point I was making was that things can be "Holy" in a non-religious sense, and instead good or held in high regard, by non-religious people, but not of a nature of religious significance. Take the word out, there's no problem. Keep the word, and problems can arise from interpretation.

new topics

top topics

join