It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If intelligent design is taught in schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Why can't we teach all origin myths? Given the fact that intelligent design is creationism designed to sound scientific Why can't we teach everything? As an 'alternate to evolution'?

Why can't we teach the Greek Origin myth Of how the giant cosmic egg hatched and out came Gaea and Uranus?

Why can't we teach Norse mythology where a void existed and then all the lands started to form?

Why can't we teach any outer Origin theory that relates to were life came from As to not offend anyone and 'Teach the controversy?

Hell why can't We teach my theory of how There is no evolution just a list of creatures that the grate Chuck Norris has allowed to live? That's a grate alternative to evolution!

The point of this Is that If Intelligent design is taught in schools it will get to the point were we have to teach every single story that relates to how life came about
edit on 27-5-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Do you know how many origin myths there are?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

exactly, that would be the deterrent from teaching the creationism myths as there are just too many of them,
better just stick with the one right answer that is open to change which science gives us.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
the powers that be run the american education system. and you know they have your children's best interests at heart.

so if they say man came from a monkey and that is the only view, their view, allowed to be taught, then you know the complete opposite is true.

the theory of evolution doesn't explain the sun, the earth, oxygen, water, rocks, lava etc. the list is endless.

the theory of evolution is worthless and is most likely illuminati propaganda.
edit on 27-5-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Giving equal time to evolution and intelligent design would be like teaching alchemy after chemistry, astrology after astronomy and mythology after history. The only one that deserves time is evolution, leave intelligent design out of it until it is proven to be true.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninjas4321
Why can't we teach all origin myths?

Don't have to. I just found god.

Officials in the Indian state of Orissa have filed a case against a priest for illegally keeping a rare turtle under the belief that it is a god.

Mystery solved.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
They dont even teach cursive or what canadians call handwriting anymore in school.

They are teaching your kids to lose your imagination. Think only what you are taught. Consume, believe, obey.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Good point. So rather than having to teach ALL of that stuff, teach NONE of it and let people decide for themselves what to believe in the privacy of their own homes and minds. Ya know, separation of church and state and all that.

Therefore - drop evolution from the curriculum.

"Oh, but evolution is science." Evolution is science as much as UFOlogy is science. Lots of speculating going on.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCelestialHuman
Giving equal time to evolution and intelligent design would be like teaching alchemy after chemistry, astrology after astronomy and mythology after history. The only one that deserves time is evolution, leave intelligent design out of it until it is proven to be true.

Another good point. Teach evolution when IT has been proven to be true. Until then - off the curriculum.

Just to expand a little.. just because evolutionists use "sciency" things like fossils and carbon dating (unreliable), it doesn't make it "science". You may as well call ghost hunting "science" just because they use magnetometers and all that other measuring equipment.

edit on 27-5-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

What makes you think TPTB believe in evolution? Most politicians claim Christianity..

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Evolution has been proven true.. Now as far as humans coming from monkeys, there is still speculation, but evolution is true and present all around you.. viruses for example, mutate and evolve. Humans not needing an appendix is another example.. the list goes on and on.. Even Pope John Paul II believed so much in evolution, he considered making it dogma. Evolution is the best explanation we have for how we came to be, therefore, for the time being, it should be taught in school. At least until we have a better explanation, if there is a better explanation.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Evolution has been proven true.. Now as far as humans coming from monkeys, there is still speculation, but evolution is true and present all around you.. viruses for example, mutate and evolve. Humans not needing an appendix is another example.. the list goes on and on.. Even Pope John Paul II believed so much in evolution, he considered making it dogma. Evolution is the best explanation we have for how we came to be, therefore, for the time being, it should be taught in school. At least until we have a better explanation, if there is a better explanation.

Actually it hasn't been proven true. You've only been told it is true. You've been told a lot of things you believe to be true. Stop believing everything people tell you.

If you're thinking about using that last statement against me, please keep in mind that I do not believe religion should be taught in schools, either - so save your breath.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

I do.

I did a paper on it. It's surprisingly few, only about 200+.

I'd have to go back to my paper to recount them and give you a definite number (it was years ago).

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Actually it hasn't been proven true. You've only been told it is true. You've been told a lot of things you believe to be true. Stop believing everything people tell you.

If you're thinking about using that last statement against me, please keep in mind that I do not believe religion should be taught in schools, either - so save your breath.

Although I believe that Evolution should be classed as a belief rather than a fact, I do not think that withholding information is a good way to educate.

Even though these things are contentious, they need to be spoken about. Perhaps even the reason why these are contentious beliefs, should be under study.

Each belief has detractors and supporters, each belief must be presented factually and dispassionately so the student can decide and also that the student can also appreciate others whose beliefs and viewpoints are different.

Part of education is to enable good interactions with others. If you have some sort of "all beliefs but mine are garbage" attitude, then you are less likely to integrate well socially.

edit on 27/5/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I actually agree with you more than you might think. The problem I have with evolution is that it is taught as fact, when it is has not and can not been proven as fact.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

1. I assume you mean public schools because private schools can replace their entire science class with intelligent design class.

2. Intelligent design isn't the same as creationism. Intelligent design is more epistemological, while creationism is more metaphysical i.e. one deals with structure through time while the other deals with origin of time.

3. They teach intelligent design in public school already, it's called math class.

But in general, I agree. One creation myth shouldn't be prejudiced, which is an argument for leaving it out of public education science classes for simplicity's sake, or better yet, abolish public education so each parent can send their children to whichever school they wish, free of compulsion.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

If evolution is a belief than is gravity a belief also. The concept of evolution being a belief or a hypothesis just illustrates that one has not really been exposed to the concept enough to understand. Actually calling it a belief represents an ignorance of the scientific method.

When we quit teaching science Anything is possible.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninjas4321
Why can't we teach all origin myths? Given the fact that intelligent design is creationism designed to sound scientific Why can't we teach everything? As an 'alternate to evolution'?

Because creationism (also referred to as intelligent design) cannot be scientifically proven. On a personal level I believe in God, I believe evolution is just part of his very creation, but this is based on my personal faith.

Why can't we teach the Greek Origin

Why can't we teach Norse mythology

I learned about Greek mythology back in high school in one of my elective classes. What's the matter? What, you want religious beliefs to be taught in science class as well??

The point of this Is that If Intelligent design is taught in schools it will get to the point were we have to teach every single story that relates to how life came about

So I suppose that any Joe off the street with a personal belief on the origin of life must have his or her theory taught in science classes?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That all sounds like a huge waste of time. Why not just teach math english and science leave the rest to the parents

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Schools are supposed to be for learning, not story time.

Teaching kids myths, is doing them a disservice. Now granted evolution as much as there is evidence for it, there are still disputes and theories that are pending real world verification.

However there's far more evidence and scientific study into evolution than any creation myth out there.

So in short, leave fairy tales to the church and science to the schools.

I for one would be quite upset that my tax dollars are being used to fund nonsense in the classroom.

~Tenth
edit on 5/28/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join