It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How an atheist became a Christian

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOpus
Interesting story---but sounds a good bit like trying to impress a gal or needing fellowship.

No, I was much too independent-minded for either of those options.
But of course you weren't there to hear the kind of fight I was putting up.
I never expected to be swept along in that direction.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by schuyler

The real driving-force was coming from what was being described two paragraphs before the one you quoted, ie the effect of reading the book. On the one hand, the self-criticism. On the other hand, the section describing the experience of Jesus on the cross, which was for me what the road-to-Damascus experience was for Paul, The paragraph you quote was the end-result of that driving-force, a matter of throwing over trust in myself and putting my trust in someone else.

OK. Still grappling with it. You read a book and it moved you. I've read a lot of books by Christians talking about their faith, C.S. Lewis, for example. I've read books discussing Christianity by priests, such as "A Marginal Jew" in 4 volumes, several books about the life of Jesus, and the Bible itself. I've got two shelves full of books on Christianity, some of which could be considered scholarly, but none of which could be construed as negative. At the risk of sounding too egotistical, I probably know more about the Christian religion than the majority of people who call themselves Christian. Yet I remain unmoved.

You see, I, too, decided at about age 7 that this stuff was nonsense. For a long time I was an anti-Christian atheist, but in my later years I have moved to be much more tolerant of religion--just not a believer. On a superficial level the only difference I see between us is that you were programmed at an early age, and I was not. I got the stories because they are in the culture, and we had Bibles at home, but I never went to church. I just can't envision reading a few words in a book and having a Damascus moment.

I've yet to hear an answer from anyone in this situation that resonates with any sense of understanding. To me, it is a mystery.

PS. I'm hoping I don't come across as antagonistic. Apologies if I do.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I just can't envision reading a few words in a book and having a Damascus moment.

I didn't envisage it either.
Yes, there's an element of mystery in the thing.
And where would this mystery come from? And how could a Creator God get involved and not bring in an element of mystery?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Interesting story---but sounds a good bit like trying to impress a gal or needing fellowship.

No, I was much too independent-minded for either of those options.
But of course you weren't there to hear the kind of fight I was putting up.
I never expected to be swept along in that direction.

I have these little debates on Christianty all the time. I generally win. But I get out the sciences and the ancient history and tie all the pieces together.

The Masons also teach much the same details.

But surely you have taken note that Revelation speaks to the organized churches views of jesus as being wrong, yet you jumped back on board?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I have these little debates on Christianty all the time. I generally win. But I get out the sciences and the ancient history and tie all the pieces together.

Your comment was about my motivation, and that's what I answered.

But surely you have taken note that Revelation speaks to the organized churches views of jesus as being wrong, yet you jumped back on board?

Last year I completed a systematic series of threads on Revelation, and all I noticed on this point is that Revelation identifies Jesus with the Creator God, which is in agreement with the organised churches.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hi OP, you were never really an Atheist, you just didn't like the christian faith u had when u were with ur family and you juts thought "its silly, i don't believe it.. guess i am an atheist now".

Atheist is more than just saying "wow this is just stupid, i don't want it, il be an atheist", most atheist, or at least the smart ones research each religion and find out how they are portrayed and compare upon them, they dont want to be part of it because they don't believe in any at all and look at them as just man made agendas.

If an Atheist turns religious, imo, they were never really an Atheist.

I myself claim to be a spiritual atheist... i interested in energy, chi, chakra, karma etc and i believe they exist(human latent abilities). Not Gods and such.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
If an Atheist turns religious, imo, they were never really an Atheist.

I wonder if you realise that this is precisely (mutatis mutandis) the stance taken by the strict Calvinist.
He will say "it is impossible for any of the Elect to fall away from the faith, so if someone falls away from the faith, that shows he was never one of the Elect".
How do you feel about having a viewpoint similar to strict Calvinism?

I don't accept that your narrow definition of atheism has any authority. Linguistically, "atheism" is the negation of "theism". "Theism" means belief in a THEOS, a god. Atheism is the conscious rejection of such a belief.

It's very ironic. At college, I had an agnostic room-mate who tried to tell me that I could not be an atheist because atheists did not exist. Since then, I have had Christians telling me that I could not have been an atheist because atheists did not exist. I think this is the first time I have had an atheist telling me that I was not an atheist. Don't start getting ecclesiastical about this- I'm satisfied that I was an atheist by any reasonable definition.

edit on 27-5-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I probably know more about the Christian religion than the majority of people who call themselves Christian. Yet I remain unmoved.

This is because you may think you "know" but you do not understand because you lack Christ's spirit in you. You have eyes but you do not see, you have ears but you do not hear. This is not to say that you cannot take anything away from his teachings, but you are going to miss the majority of what he is saying.

The hubris that caused you to make what i quoted is what hardens your heart and keeps you from hearing his voice. I was the same way, i went to college and thought i was King Sh*t of Turd Mountain. I found out a little over a year ago i didn't know as much as i thought a did and i couldn't stay agnostic anymore.

And if you know more than what most christians claim? If it doesn't reach your heart then it does you no good. If it doesn't change your spirit, then as you say you will remain unmoved.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Having been a Christian my whole life, it wasn't until a few years ago that I wanted to start reading and learning the Bible. I've always known that Jesus Christ is Lord, but was never interested in reading the Word.
Since I've been a member here DISRAELI has helped me out tremendously in my journey to understand the Word of God.

Thank you D for your patience, passion, and strong will to help us better understand the Bible.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Im not sure how you went from not believing to believing.. what does that make you? were you really an atheist? or were you just going thru a phase?

I don't think an Atheist would just turn religious if he originally admitted that religion/god was made up by man with no facts.

edit: I for one would not believe in god or turn religious unless a god comes down or a huge miracle happens that is not a coincidence or secret... idk, a loud voice says monkeys will fall and if it rains monkeys or something.

Because all these converting seems to me like thru some secret voice in head, or a "miracle" which is also secret or someone's opinion that seemed strong.
edit on 5/27/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by will615
Having been a Christian my whole life, it wasn't until a few years ago that I wanted to start reading and learning the Bible. I've always known that Jesus Christ is Lord, but was never interested in reading the Word.
Since I've been a member here DISRAELI has helped me out tremendously in my journey to understand the Word of God.

Thank you D for your patience, passion, and strong will to help us better understand the Bible.

Good to hear. Without reading the word it is hard to grow spiritually. In order to grow in the spirit you need the food. Since i became a christian about a year ago i have found a desire to know Christ more, and only one way to do that. At the same time i have become obsessed with him, looking for him in the old testament, studying prophecy and the jewish feasts and how christianity mirrors judaism.

Keep that fire for him, and maybe one day we will meet at the end of the road where he is waiting.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Im not sure how you went from not believing to believing.. what does that make you?

It makes me someone who changed my mind- what is so difficult about that idea?

It's like seeing something for the first time, like turning a corner and catching sight of a building. One moment you cannot see it. The next moment you can. That doesn't mean that you could "really" see it all along. It just means that something has changed.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
btw D,
Where is that girl today? Are you still in touch? If so, she would be proud of the change.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by will615

We are still in touch, and she has followed me into membership of ATS.
In fact I showed her this thread before posting it.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Your comment was about my motivation, and that's what I answered.

Last year I completed a systematic series of threads on Revelation, and all I noticed on this point is that Revelation identifies Jesus with the Creator God, which is in agreement with the organised churches.

My comment was on your techniques used to address the issues of Christianity. I use science, other books of history for those times, etc. Perhaps for a specific example---did you bring up the issue that the only place in the Biblical Narrative that Trinity is addressed was added or forged into John's and they didn't buy Trinity in the times of Jesus. Did you bring up that issue?

You say you have quite a defense, what were your defense arguements?

Well, since you have a "series of treads" on Revelation, then show everyone what you came up with and lets check the contexts and see if you are off into neverland with problems of either translations or metaphor. Toss out a few citations that show how you came to where you are now.

Then we can get a feel for if your knowledge base was corrupt or solid.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Thank you for that testimony, Disraeli! I was also an atheist for about ten years, under the influence of Ayn Rand. When I was 24, I began to pursue a career in medical technology. Well the career turned out to be just a series of jobs, and I'm lately retired from it, but it did get me in contact with a fellow student who invited me to a creation vs evolution debate, an instructor who told me about Old Testament history, and a co-worker who introduced me to a group of Christians whose religion made a difference in their lives. I've been a follower of Jesus since about 1977.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

So actually...I red your story and I'm failing to see what prompted you to "switch" beliefs. No burning bush, no heavenly voice from the sky. Just your own inability to understand inner workings of the mater around us, made you fall right back in to "security" of the holy father. Because, when you believe in "our" God...you need not understand anything. It is not a requirement. You simply pray and hope god is listening. Whatever is happening...God is responsible.

On the other hand...if you feel completed...that it is all that matters in your universe.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
"The real deciding factor had been personal preference; unbelief was a much more comfortable, less demanding, option, and that was my reason for choosing it."

"I finally came to the point of making a decision. Giving up the attempt to work things out on my own, I decided to put my trust in an action of faith, and I made the suggested prayer. I was expecting some kind of tangible spiritual change, but nothing seemed to be happening, so I went to bed."

Madness, absolute madness.... So, let me get this straight... you chose religion because it was easier not to question anything, because this girl gave you a book and you wanted to nail her.... and because you couldn't be bothered to try to work things out for yourself... you sir, are a disgrace to this community.... those 2 statements go against eveything ATS stands for..... I wish you luck in this Thread... you're going to need it...

I would argue vehemently that being an Atheist is a considerably harder life to lead... to believe that the universe is governed by chaos and random actions takes courage my friend... to know that after death there is nothing takes courage my friend... and to work things out for one's self takes patience and logic.

I really didn't understand your thought process in this process... your writing, although acomplished, lacks the detail with which to understand your decision....

The way you tell the story presently makes it seem like you just couldn't be bothered to think for yourself any longer.... and I'm sorry, but to say that one book changed your hole opinion is just ludicrous....

You go on to say that any question you could pose yourself could be answered with the phrase, "Well why not", I'll tell you why not.... because it's not scientifically provable, logical or just plain likely....

I should end this diatribe by telling you that I am not an Atheist.... neither am I religious... neither side has the answers I am looking for as far as I can see.... but to make the decisions you made, for the reasons you gave, sounds ridiculous to me...

PA.

edit on 28-5-2012 by PerfectAnomoly because: Spelling

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Thank you for that testimony, Disraeli! I was also an atheist for about ten years, under the influence of Ayn Rand. When I was 24, I began to pursue a career in medical technology. Well the career turned out to be just a series of jobs, and I'm lately retired from it, but it did get me in contact with a fellow student who invited me to a creation vs evolution debate, an instructor who told me about Old Testament history, and a co-worker who introduced me to a group of Christians whose religion made a difference in their lives. I've been a follower of Jesus since about 1977.

Lazrus... I for one would be very interested in what was presented at the "creation vs evolution debate" that made you decide the way you did? Must have been important information? Care to share?

Also, while I'm here, religion has a positive effect on nearly every single religious person I know.... but it also severely blunts their overall understanding of the universe and what we see around us.... I would find it very difficult to live a life with so much wonder and intrigue all aorund me, while simultaneously being told I am not worthy to understand it, let alone question it....

PA.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short

These days one has to define if you like Jesus, The Man, or Jesus, the god theme.

It makes a lot of difference in the world which version of Jesus.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join