It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibility of Sumerian being a precursor to Hungarian language?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

originally posted by: Marduk
Firstly the OP claims this truth has been suppressed since the 18th Century, when in fact, Sumerian wasn't even first translated until 35 years into the 19th Century. So there goes the conspiracy theory

Secondly all languages have hundreds of similar sounding words. For instance Scots Gaelic and Akkadian have over 600 similar words and there is no connection between them. Most languages have over 250,000 words. English has over 1,000,000. So what you're actually talking about here is statistics. Not facts.

Two current/modern cultures both speaking Spanish share many words. The word cabronesis a perfect example. You can't even get 5 Spanish speaking people to form a consensus on what this word means. In addition to the below it also means friend, buddy. I hope ATS

cabrón, el ~ (m) (hijo de putacanalla)
scoundrel, the ~ Noun
#, the ~ Noun
scamp, the ~ Noun
bastard, the ~ Noun
cad, the ~ Noun
cabrón, el ~ (m) (bribónmal bichomala bestiatunante)
sly dog, the ~ Noun
stinker, the ~ Noun
scoundrel, the ~ Noun
skunk, the ~ Noun
screw, the ~ Noun
rascal, the ~ Noun
cur, the ~ Noun
cabrón, el ~ (m) (hijo de putagilipollaspollabuchesacobrutogilipuertaspichagranujaimbéciltronerapatán)
asshole, the ~ Noun
#head, the ~ Noun
jerk, the ~ Noun
bastard, the ~ Noun
cabrón, el ~ (m) (apestosograciosopícarocochinodiablillochocarreropayasoasquerosomofetapuercobromistabufónbribónguasónmala bestiacerdocanallamal bicho)
rogue, the ~ Noun
‐ a deceitful and unreliable scoundrel
rascal, the ~ Noun
‐ a deceitful and unreliable scoundrel
cabrón, el ~ (m) (sodomitahijo de putabuchetronerapollagilipollassacobrutopichagranujaimbécilpatángilipuertas)
#head, the ~ Noun
jerk, the ~ Noun

m.interglot.com...

Nonetheless, still an interesting thread.

Excuse me, but all those translations can be considered synonyms.

Not seeing how you "can't can't even get 5 Spanish speaking people to form a consensus on what this word means" when all your translations have the same meaning.

Harte

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Beware google geniuses, particularly where languages are concerned.

edit on 22-7-2015 by Jonjonj because: language

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I don't think you read my post beyond the quote. Aside from what is listed it also means friend, brother. Typically in Mexico it's considered a term of endearment whereas Puerto Rico it's considered the biggest insult. And technically it means none of those, it means a male goat or son of a male goat.

ETA: Oh, looking back at the post I see half my paragraph was cut out.
edit on 23-7-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Beware google geniuses, particularly where languages are concerned.

Hahahahahaha

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Yes but the popular meaning of words changes over time.

Take 'gay' as an example not very long ago it was used to mean happy and care free now it is synonymous with homosexual.

So why would different cultures/tribes etc not over 100/1000's of years evolve new meanings for lots of words that could be traced back to Sumer or wherever?

Also 'new' words are incorporated all the time - helicopter is the same in many languages as are many new inventions so if Sumer was dominant and introduced the word 'chariot' for instance then other tribes would learn of this new thing as a 'chariot' and as now many of them would just use that word, rather than inventing a new word based on their own linguistics.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
Yes but the popular meaning of words changes over time.

So why would different cultures/tribes etc not over 100/1000's of years evolve new meanings for lots of words that could be traced back to Sumer or wherever?

Because the original word becomes the word for the item in the new language, so doesn't need to be re translated, but the word can be reapplied to new items which are similar to the original
for instance, 2000 years ago,
Karros - "two-wheeled Celtic war chariot,"
to todays
Car - "a road vehicle, typically with four wheels"

A loanword (or loan word or loan-word) is a word borrowed from a donor language and incorporated into a recipient language without translation. It is distinguished from a calque, or loan translation, where a meaning or idiom from another language is translated into existing words or roots of the host language

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 23-7-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Mardukyes, I agree all you have written makes sense. I gave example of other loan words into Hungarian Lang. Indo Iranian and the borrowings is one of possible explanation for both Sumerian and Sanskrit similarities. Many borrowed words into Hungarian are clearly pointing to nomadic character of Hungarian ancestors and the transformation of sumers to nomadic tribe is hardly likely.

edit on 23-7-2015 by TomZe because: bugs

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiateno, stats are helpful but in this case it is reasonable to focus to basic words of everyday life, which transformed slower than less frequent/less essential words. For many reasons. Such words were also more probably borrowed when one culture less developed in one way met other more developed culture. From this sight Hungarians borrowed many basic words from e.g. Slavic and very likely from other cultures along the long way into carpatian basin. I personally know many Hungarians, and yes, they have still strong mythology they hear from childhood so are more open to "conspiracy" and it is harder live with some nomadic ancestors with simplier culture which is also very hard to track back what leaves blank space for such theories. Genetically they are maybe more Slavic than anything else so they came maybe in few numbers and build up their culture by taking control of more developed but less powerful culture. But could such fact make anyone with clear mind less proud to be Hungarian?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join