It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost half of new vets seek disability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
medicalxpress.com...

(AP) -- America's newest veterans are filing for disability benefits at a historic rate, claiming to be the most medically and mentally troubled generation of former troops the nation has ever seen.

A staggering 45 percent of the 1.6 million veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are now seeking compensation for injuries they say are service-related. That is more than double the estimate of 21 percent who filed such claims after the Gulf War in the early 1990s, top government officials told The Associated Press.

What's more, these new veterans are claiming eight to nine ailments on average, and the most recent ones over the last year are claiming 11 to 14. By comparison, Vietnam veterans are currently receiving compensation for fewer than four, on average, and those from World War II and Korea, just two.

It's unclear how much worse off these new veterans are than their predecessors. Many factors are driving the dramatic increase in claims - the weak economy, more troops surviving wounds, and more awareness of problems such as concussions and PTSD. Almost one-third have been granted disability so far.

Bear in mind only a third of those seeking benefits have been approved. But still this trend is staggering and a study to provide a breakdown of the real reasons would be revealing.

Was there any military 'conditioning' using mind altering drugs or 'programming'?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Wonder how long it will be before people start saying that they just need to suck it up. Either that they are just faking to get a free ride. Of course most of the people screaming this are too much of a coward to go and fight in their place.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will be until people say enough of these wars with vague and unattainable aims and goals.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
With so many of these people serving 3 and 4, or more, tours in those countries, I don't doubt it a bit. Personally, I'd rather them be on disability than out in public and risking lives when so many of them probably have PTSD.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

I,d say that they deserve every penny they can get after putting their lives on the line, irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the Iraq. / Afghanistan conflicts. Money does,nt buy happiness, but it may help to give these people some security....

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
it all starts with the mixtures of vaccines the troopers take to be able to go overseas in the first place...

wonder what % of discharged vets opt to pull a stint as a 'security Personnel' for the black ops corporations and if they don't get accepted... then play the 'service connected disability' card

more power to the Vets...wish them well

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I wonder how long it will be until people say enough of these wars with vague and unattainable aims and goals.

There is too much profit in warfare.

And the scum making money off of it aren't in the line of fire so it won't end soon. Look for it to pick even more seeing how our people are going through hell for another country.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
My take may be unique to some.

Did they pay for my left leg?
Yes.
Did they pay for my right arm?
Sure.
Did they pay for the metal in my gut?
Yup.
Are they paying for some GWS issues I picked up in the sand?
Uh-huh.

As an officer, though, I set an example. I will not, have not applied for disability.

Why?

I'm not disabled. I'm crippled, I'm beaten, I hurt. Every god-damned day.

But I'm not disabled.

But!

I won't abuse anyone who seeks recompence for their actions.

To each their own.
edit on 27-5-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join