It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Language Is Our Operating System.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I've been trying to decide what I should write a book about.
(and if enough people find this interesting I may write a fully researched book on this subject)

One thing I can say with certainty is that all conspiracies, and pretty much anything we can discuss or observe is linked to language.

I haven't prepared anything or pre-written this so it might be all over the place but please bare/bear (in both senses of the word) with me.

One thing that sets us apart from the other sentient creatures on this planet is written language.

Through my research on various theories and concepts I was lead to hypnosis and neuro-linguistic programming. This opened my mind to the true power of language and made me realize that hypnosis is far older than most people realize.

I'm not going to complicate the thread with sophisticated language patterns or explanations on how powerful language is; I'd rather maybe pique you and your interest in this subject.

Advertising/Marketing, Politics and Religion are probably the most prime examples of how language is used to influence people and one thing most people misunderstand is what exactly hypnosis is. It isn't the zombie arm in the air passive experience most people expect it to be on the contrary all communication is hypnotic in nature.

This is the reason for rituals, incantations, speeches, symbolism and symbology especially within secret societies.

Most people don't use language with purpose, or have a good grasp on their native language; poor vocabulary, can't define a verb from an adverb or a noun/pronoun etc..

I believe this is done on purpose, for the distinct purpose of manipulation in the worst sense of the word.
If people are interested in this type of stuff, when I write my book I'll find easily identifiable examples of this type of manipulation where people are knowingly manipulating people.

Social Engineering is accomplished through a sophisticated use of language.

This is why there is so much division among common native speakers (in other words, people who share the same native language will argue over meaning and definition as well as intention and proliferation) but what exactly is it that is growing? My answer would be "chaos" or confusion.

Which reminds me of the story from the bible of the tower of babel which most people brush over quickly without understanding what that story is attempting to make you aware of. Why would "God" or "Satan" depending on your interpretation of the biblical texts come to cause confusion?

Jesus himself said something about knowing at which entrance the robbers come... Language is that doorway.

Language is so pervasive in our life that most times we don't think about it.

All babies babble on using the same intonation patterns until they reduce the set and develop their native language.

Another thing I find interesting about the bible (dealing with language) is the story of Adam & Eve and the tree.

What is language? it helps us make distinctions as children we make bodily distinctions; this is my hand, this is my foot, these are my toes.. etc.. and language helps us determine what is right and what is wrong.

Which if I remember correctly is what Adam & Eve gained from "eating" the fruit. The knowledge of what is good and what is evil.

Which to me indicates they gained language, or at least a more sophisticated language then they'd previously had, which is why they realized they were naked (figuratively or not) I find the story interesting. Food for thought

As far as conspiracies go, I think language is numero uno, it completely flies under the radar of most people.

Our entire school system is predicated on the teaching of language starting with grammar school which was historically the place to learn classical languages. My question etymologically speaking is who determined how we learn language? Do you even know how you understand what I'm typing right now? or how you understand what someone is saying to you? it's an unconscious activity, it isn't something you do consciously.

I find this all very interesting when you notice the issues in the world... language is the root of it all, language is what recruits armies, elects politicians, can make what is right, wrong and can make what is wrong, right, it orders missile launches and other horrifying human activities, it is the most powerful tool humans ever developed and the most crudely used and understood.

In closing (because I ran out of thoughts for now) I'd like to say.

Freedom is Everything & Love is All The Rest.
edit on 5/27/2012 by PuRe EnErGy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Very cool thread and very true.

Definitely reminds me of They Live.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Very cool thread and very true.

Definitely reminds me of They Live.

Thanks man, I hope more people get interested in this so we can explore the subject further.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

Well, yea, In the beginning was the word.and the Word was with God, and the Word was God And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm not interested:

ii. Symbolism:

1. The most basic of definitions for the idea of a symbol, or symbolisms is denoting something as

expressing or communicating a message, idea, or entity. In the form of a drawing, or carving, there are many ways to depict a symbol as to bringing different levels and strengths of expression.

Besides the ability of recording vocal communications, as well as being present for a discussion, information needed to be communicated has little to no avenues as to means of effectively passing such information along other than through symbolic references. Even the characters of a given alphabet carry meaning, pictograms especially for they are symbolic of image used in describing a word in the earliest forms of writing.

iii. Petroglyph (2)

1. Petroglyphs are composed of both logogram images, and pictograms that are carved or engraved into rock using various methods. These are to be considered the second form of communication through symbolic references. Unlike that of phonograms, which communicate sounds and require an understanding of a particular spoken language, Logograms are less demanding in regards to limited requirements necessary for comprehending the information. Generally the images found in Petroglyphs are to resemble a physical object that then gives meaning, although this is only partially the case, for the meanings and definitions to be drawn are of one word. A single image is not to carry the weight of an entire definition, but to represent a single word.

2. Often the information carried in this style of communication act as historical accounts for they often contain denoting of regions, distances, and astronomical time markers. Just as is the case with the history and dating of Cave Paintings, there is date known as to the origins of this practice. Claims ranging from 25,000 up to 40,000 year old carvings have

been found. The means of providing an accurate time period through various scientific dating methods fall short for the only material to be tested is the rock itself. Dependent on many factors, the preservation or deterioration of these carvings can be difficult to model. The methods in which the carvings were made does however shed some light as to the date a given Petroglyph originated.

iv. Ideograms(4)

1. The introduction of symbols being used to communicate complex ideas, concepts(birthing conceptual metaphors). More than just a resemblance of form, these images carried with them the characteristics. This brought with it descriptive communication and further developing of abstract thought... all of which helped further the push towards further understanding reality as we know it for we now had references to compare and contrast interactions and influences of all the possible relationships perceivable and increasingly imaginable.

2. There are multiple Ideograms found all around the world, throughout various cultures that share the same or similar attributes and meanings behind symbols. A majority of which are observed features that is not necessarily dependent on region. These being bodies in the cosmos or the heavens, animals such as snakes and birds, as well as plants such as flowers and trees, much of which were associated with time and applied to actual individuals or archetypes.

v.

vi. Pictograms(3)

1. The next step in the evolution of communication and means of conveying information belongs to the development of Pictograms. Closely connected to the characteristics of Petroglyphs, Pictograms communicate times, regions, distances, and events. The difference is found upon the

reading of Pictograms for they seemingly convey a 'story'. Unlike that of Petroglyphs, that provide a 'snap shot' of sorts in portraying an event. In many cases, these images will contain time markers as to provide a chronological order, rather than a symbol that represents the period of time that the entire event took place.

2. The accuracy in dating the first use of Pictograms follows suit with the previous forms of communication, as to the difficulties. Although this is not always the case because of the denoting of time and progression of stories that present a chronological order. Used by cultures from all around the world, the common consensus is that Pictograms emerged some time around 9,000 years ago. Due to the effectiveness in conveying greater detail in regards to concepts and various relationships, especially those of time and chronological order, the use of this form of communication gained popularity during the 6th millennium BC.

3. This approach to communication is the very basis for the development of cuneiform, hieroglyphs, and writing systems that are logographic. The Sumerian approach in taking this even one step further, was not only to develop a cuneiform written language

vii. Cave Paintings(1)

1. Mans use of symbols as a means of communicating dates back to around 30,000 years ago. Examples of this can be found in cave paintings... tbc

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...
Deaf Sign Language Users Pick Up Faster On Body Language

Bilingualism No Big Deal for Brain, Researcher Finds
www.sciencedaily.com...

Interaction Is Critical for the Evolution of the Language
www.sciencedaily.com...

Early Experience Found Critical for Language Development
www.sciencedaily.com...

Predicting Children's Language Development
www.sciencedaily.com...

Babies Track Word Patterns Long Before Word-Learning Starts
www.sciencedaily.com...

25. Behavioral Psychology - Technology - World Events - Social Psychology

a. How Thinking About Death Can Lead to a Good Life

i. www.sciencedaily.com...

b. The Bright Side of Death: Awareness of Mortality Can Result in Positive Behaviors

c. Mutltitasking Hurts Performance but Makes You Feel Better

d. Behaviorism

i. en.wikipedia.org...

e. Relational frame theory

i. en.wikipedia.org...

f. Verbal Behavior

i. en.wikipedia.org...(book)

g. Behavioral Psychology Basics: Understanding Behavioral Psychology in 10 Easy Steps

i. psychology.about.com...

h. Introduction to Classical Conditioning

i. psychology.about.com...

i.

j.

k.

l. Even Positive Stereotypes Can Hinder Performance, Researchers Report

m. Dopamine Impacts Your Willingness to Work

n. How Social Interaction and Teamwork Led to Human Intelligence

o.

p. Self-Worth Needs to Go Beyond Appearance, Experts Say

q.

r. Emotion Can Shut Down High-Level Mental Processes Without Our Knowledge, in Our Native Language

s. Smart Phones Are Changing Real World Privacy Settings

just thought I'd throw you some interesting links that will help give you a more developed understanding about the role of language, human interaction, and the 'Operating System'

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
oh yeah,.... I got more.

a. Evolution of Consciousness

i. The History of Communication (Time Line)

1. inventors.about.com...

ii. Evolution of Communication and Language Using Signals, Symbols, and Words

1. cogprints.org...

iii.

iv. Modeling the evolution of communication: From stimulus associations to grounded symbolic associations

1. cogprints.org...

v. The Evolution of Communication: Information and Manipulation R. Haven Wiley

1. www.unc.edu...

vi. History of communication

1. en.wikipedia.org...

Some wiki links, weak I know... but it can be a great source for finding sources..

still not interested.

This is very little compared to the literature source list, as well as the links for more information online... If you'd like I can private message a list.

From everything that I've read about it, and how we've used language and how communication works.... it all can be summed up as a message from the stars. It's a hard one to explain, but it's all about creation, it's all attraction, and influence. Our language doesn't escape this, it's corny... but it's all fractal self similarity.
edit on 27-5-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional comment

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If you need a test subject for your book Here I am!!

I find written/spoken language very difficult, I have a miniscule vocabulary that refuses to grow. Put a new word in and one falls out the other end.
I'm fully capable of realising how POWERFULL langauge is, I envy people such as you yourself, but my brain behaves like its only got about 2k of ram for the use of langauge. Strangely I love programing, find it quite easy, love electronics and mechanics so I know I'm not retarded.

Messagefromthestars. Thanks for all those links. I'll read them as soon as.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
If you need a test subject for your book Here I am!!

I find written/spoken language very difficult, I have a miniscule vocabulary that refuses to grow. Put a new word in and one falls out the other end.
I'm fully capable of realising how POWERFULL langauge is, I envy people such as you yourself, but my brain behaves like its only got about 2k of ram for the use of langauge. Strangely I love programing, find it quite easy, love electronics and mechanics so I know I'm not retarded.

Messagefromthestars. Thanks for all those links. I'll read them as soon as.

I suggest reading.... as much as possible. Anything Sir Francis Bacon or ancient philosophers, greek in particular. This is the gateway for increasing vocabulary.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Try reading "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson. Or just check the wiki page for it. He beat you to it. Great idea though. It's a great book.

new topics

top topics

join