It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant Experiment : what will happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have seen people grow vegetables in the ground and in buckets; i have chosen to try growing a tomato plant in a pipe. I have never seen anyone try this, if you have please enlighten me! The pipe is filled with dirt and goes about 6 inches into the ground. The plant has grown a little bit so far, once it gets big what will happen?

Will the roots have enough space to grow?

Will they eventually reach down into the ground and thrive?

Will it produce any tomatoes?

Will it die?

what do you think will happen?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
i think slugs will eat it

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

lets hope not

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
First drill holes in the sides of the tube for proper drainage, don't want root rot, Next buy a hormone root accelerater to encourage root growth, this will help make the roots grow down.

You may also want to try some sort of bottom up water system as roots grow toward water.

I have um experience with gardening in tight spaces and such... Might want to look into Aqua ponics, I could see the tube thing working with a variant of that system.
edit on 27-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

wouldn't the water just continue down the pipe into the ground?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm no botanist, but I really like how you took an idea and set up an experiment to test your hypothesis.

It's my understanding that the roots will want to spread out horizontally, so the plant won't get very big as it will take quite a long time to grow roots to the end of the pipe.
I suspect that the dirt in the pipe will dry out relatively faster than the soil around the pipe. Since there is limited soil and an excess of roots.
I don't think the plant will do so well in the long run since it has to pull water from such a long distance. Much like trying to drink from an extra long straw or something.

Regardless, good luck! I can't wait to see what happens.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by oneness86

If the soil is too absorbent it wont, it will stay at top, make sure the soil you use as ether perlite or something to thin it up to ensure good water flow, you want it to hold water but not so much that it rots.

I could see this working with a soiless solution, either a bubble ponics set up, ebb and flow, OR even just just hydroton (clay pallets) and water daily.

Im interested in your results so keep us posted.
edit on 27-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It should grow fine but you'll still need to support the plant, whether it's determinate or indeterminate (because of the way you've planted it).

I did this with some daisies in an old piece of terra cotta pipe. Looked nice!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the tips friends! I will definitely keep you all posted!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by oneness86

Interesting idea! I did 12 Global Buckets last year that I need to set up again soon. I'm new to growing, but it went relatively well and I learned some things. I was just looking at this Windowfarm setup which looks pretty awesome. I'm curious to see what happens with this little guy.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

..Someone is an indoor grower.

I second the root accelerator, or root hormone. I also second a good mix of perlite in your soil..although its probably to late since your plant is already in the pipe.

I've built aeroponic systems and cloning systems out of pvc. Never used it for soil though.

Plants branches usually only spread out as far as the rhyzosphere (root system) so there's a good chance that plant will be tall and spindley until the roots hit the earth. You may want to get some sort of trellace or support ready so the branches don't break off.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by becomingaware

Currently working on a aquaponics system, growing my own fish as a byproduct sounds way cool.

Best type of person you want in a SHTF scenario... and avid indoor or outdoor grower, we will give crop yeilds on standard food crops you wont believe...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
how did the plant go

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

you wouldn't believe how well she is growing, im very surprised. Ill make a follow up thread here in a couple weeks with a pic!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
how did she do did you get any tomatos off it

new topics

top topics

join