It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show us your bow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I thought I make this thread because my wife and me think about getting two bows.
She´s much more smaller then me so we inevitable need two individual bows. I read through some german websites about compounds already and its a wide theme.
We have plenty of room in our garden and I can set up ranges up to 100m if I want to.
Probably its gonna 70+m because I don´t want to cut down that bushes just for that.

So we´re going to test some bows from our local bow sports club tomorrow and I hope there will be some compound bows present because that would be my choice. My wife tends more to the classic design, maybe a long bow.

So if you have a picture of your bow, setup and maybe some words about why you choose this setup, it would be very cool

Edit: Not for hunting. Its unefficient and illegal in germany, too.
edit on 27-5-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Unfortunately I do not own any bows. (I'm a gun guy not a bow guy) but I do hope you get some good responses here. The bow is an amazing piece of technology, especially modern compound bows, I'd love to hear about what you've learned about them so far if you want to tell us.

Also even though your wife is a fan of the classic bow if you intend to use this for something other than sport I'd highly recommend going with a compound for her. Quite simply compound bows let you do much more with much less upper body strength.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Unfortunately atm. I don't have a normal bow. I still have a cobra system pistol crossbow thought. 80lbs and quick to load. I'd imagine that would be quite handy in a zombie scenario

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

My children make bows all the time, they are easy and they are efficient. They do not hurt animals but know that if they ever do need to hunt they can do it without any trouble. Edit to say that their favorites are made from local timber and bamboo.
edit on 27-5-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yes I said the same thing to her, because I don´t think she can handle 30lbs from the start. Longbows are not adjustable so she wouldn´t be happy.

I recommend a Compound, too. They make it easier to aim and hold the target I read, although I have experience in bow shooting since childhood so its nothing new to me.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I´ve made various bows since childhood. I´ve teachid it to my kids, too. We normaly use hazelnut wood. You can form it and you can make arrows from the smaller ones. In our woods, you can find them everywhere. You can make good slings out of hazelnut too.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If you really want to get into archery I suggest going traditional, not compound.
Why don't you take a look at my thread and watch the video's, you might learn something.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27-5-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My bow is a 1953 Fred Bear ''Brown Bear'' Recurve.. Tis the only bow I use. I can even use a boot string as a bowstring, just in case you break a string in an emergency you could improvise and unlace one boot and still eat! lol
img19.imageshack.us...
img444.imageshack.us...
img716.imageshack.us...
I re-painted it from the original matte brown, but put a piece of tape around the original logo to protect it... take a look.

edit on 27-5-2012 by Tanulis because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-5-2012 by Tanulis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I love archery. Been doing it for a few years now. It's one of those things that I feel is very.. satisfying. Veyr fullfilling. Sort of like, if the S hit the fan and society crumbled, knowing how to use a bow would no doubt be very, very handy.

I have spent some money on really nice kit. However i have found myself wanting to "go back to basics" and get a plain, wooden recurve bow - no sights, no carbon, no metal, no dampener, etc - just a hand made wooden bow.

But I'm not sure how/where to shop for a good one. I'm in the UK, btw.

Any experienced archers out there can suggest something along those lines?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I suggest checking the medieval societies. In UK they must have tons of sources for their longbow clubs etc.

new topics

top topics

join