It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fart joke leads to college student being arrested and charged

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This is absolute madness! So, according to this logic, if I say I'm going to go to the bathroom and drop some bombs, I can be arrested for that. What a load of crap (pun intended)!

Nothing clears a room like a fart -- except, perhaps, a bomb scare. Harold Wayne Hadley, Jr., 19, was arrested at a Mississippi junior college after he allegedly wrote a note on a piece of toilet paper on Tuesday, containing the word 'bomb,' according to Weirdnews.net. The note prompted 11 emergency agencies to respond to the school, but there was no bomb.

Hadley and his family contend that he was only explaining the joy of flatulating in the library. "He was in the restroom doodling on some toilet paper ... we are from the country, and he calls passing gas, bombs," said Hadley's aunt, who wouldn't give her name to WDAM. "[He] put 'I passed a bomb in the library,' talking about passing gas, and somebody came in and found it, gave it to a teacher that recognized his hand writing and it blew all out of proportion."

Investigators wouldn't say exactly what Hadley wrote, but WDAM reports that it was no more explicit than "I passed a bomb in the library." Hadley was arrested and held on $20,000 bail. If convicted of threatening to blow up the school, he faces 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine, according to WAPT. His aunt says he earned straight A's at Jones County Junior College and was scheduled to graduate in May.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 27-5-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It's his own damn fault for using that term. Ok, he's from the country, possibly a bit slow and retarded but still should know what the word bomb means

And in todays world everyone should know that something like that can easily taken out of context, especially if people don't know that a word like "bomb" can have for some people different meanings than what it is supposed to mean.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Who writes on toilet paper?

He got what he deserved.

+17 more 
posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What do you expect from Nazi Germany?

ETA: My mistake, this is American.
edit on 27-5-2012 by theshepherd2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
It's his own damn fault for using that term. Ok, he's from the country, possibly a bit slow and retarded but still should know what the word bomb means

And in todays world everyone should know that something like that can easily taken out of context, especially if people don't know that a word like "bomb" can have for some people different meanings than what it is supposed to mean.

Straight A's and this guy must
be some country dumb ass
bumpkin?
you people kill me!!

WAIT don't take that literally.

Probably just a bad teacher with
a bomb up their butt and did not
like this guy, had it out for him,
and found a way to get him
for something stupid...

This is credulously ridiculous, I would never
convict this guy I was on the jury.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This story stinks.

Sucks for the student too. People shouldn't let the law to get out if hand like it has. What are we thinking?

+9 more 
posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Bin Laden stated he wanted to scare the # out of the U.S. Looks like he succeeded.

Stupid kid makes a fart joke, 11 emergency agencies respond to the school.

The home of the brave is the most scared nation on this planet IMO.
edit on 27-5-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Who writes on toilet paper?

He got what he deserved.

OOOOH i don't know SOMEONE
making a fart joke maybe?

Got what he deserved?
A prison sentence for his
freedom of speech.

That is what this boils down to.
Freedom of speech and how the government
is trying to erode that freedom.

+3 more 
posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Carseller Who writes on toilet paper?

He got what he deserved.
Yes as a stupid person, he deserves to be in prison. That after all is America’s answer to most social spending. You’re a good Nazi, the Fuhrer -DemoRep president, would be very proud of you. Now go and bomb some Muslims with White Phosphorus (but don’t joke about it!!!).

ShallowAngel85 And in todays world everyone should know that something like that can easily taken out of context, especially if people don't know that a word like "bomb" can have for some people different meanings than what it is supposed to mean.
Yes I agree, in America careless humour should get you jailed. The fact you think this is acceptable demonstrates how far the paranoia of terrorism has penetrated your mind. Just because something happens on TV doesn’t mean it’s likely to happen to you, or anyone else you know. But like most fascists (I mean that as a compliment) –enemies of freedom generally, it does not surprise me you embrace MSM paranoia, as ultimately most enemies of freedom are at heart cowards –just like the terrorists whose paranoia drives them towards extreme evil. At the end of the day your both opposite headed branches, but from same tree of paranoia & reality distortion, generally.
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
My knee jerk reaction was outrage, then I read the article again.

A college student writes he put a bomb in the library. What did he expect would happen?

If I'd found the paper with that message, I'd want to evacuate the library. Who takes chances, especially in the extremely sensitive climate in our country? After all, it could have been a precursor to another Virginia Tech incident. These things have to be taken seriously.

Does he deserve jail time? Heck no. My guess is he got the scare of his life and learned a lesson. Hopefully, if it goes to trial (and I doubt it will) then the jury will have the sense to know this was a poorly written joke.

This young man is in college. He should have known better. Now he does.
edit on 27-5-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Lions and tigers and terrorists oh my! Lions and tigers and terrorists oh my! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. If I only had a brain, if I only had a brain.

America sounds alot like the Wizard of Oz these days. That said, I sure as hell know who I would like the house to fall on. Shame on all of us for letting this happen.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Pathetic.

Distinct lack of that oh so rare commodity nowadays, common sense!

For this to have progressed to legal proceedings without someone putting a stop to it shows just how much in thrall to political correctness and paranoia we have become.

Farting is funny.
It has been a source of amusement since time immemorial. Classical writers like Aristophanes and Sicero wrote humorous texts about farting as did many noteables since, including Benjamin Franklin.

I seriously wonder at just how sad, boring and joyless some peoples lives are.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
reply to post by mossme89

Bin Laden stated he wanted to scare the # out of the U.S. Looks like he succeeded.

Stupid kid makes a fart joke, 11 emergency agencies respond to the school.

The home of the brave is the most scared nation on this planet IMO.
edit on 27-5-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

ColCurious, Youve hit the Bomb right on the trigger....I mean The Nail right on the Head!!!.

Yes indeed, I clearly remember in the 2000, interviews with various Middle East, and a particular Indian terrorist experts, that emphatically stated that the intent of terrorism is to... "Inflict as much fear as possible to the psychi of the public and government".
They dont need to drop nukes etc, all they have to do is blow up a few buildings, and the fear is in everyones mind.
And Yes indeed, the US govts. knee jerk reaction in bombing innocent civilians, as in Iraq and Afghanistan, has only made the whole situation worse.....now the Freedoms of ALL American citizens and other western countries, have been taken away by nothing more than FEAR.......The what if they...etc etc,,,, syndrome.

The Terrorists never needed to keep terrorising, they just have to pretend they are....sleeper cells, radical Imams, etc.......They never have to attack America again, because they have already destroyed it.
The loss of freedoms, Drones, camps, xray scanners.......Fear is the destructor.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

smyleegrl My knee jerk reaction was outrage, then I read the article again.

A college student writes he put a bomb in the library. What did he expect would happen?
This may come as a big shock to you, but I think he probably expected it to be flushed down the toilet. Why would anyone with so much as one brain cell expect a terrorist to write on toilet paper? Oh of course, not everyone has one ….

If I'd found the paper with that message, I'd want to evacuate the library.
Then (in a saner world) I think you should go to prison, for extreme attention seeking, wasting the authorities time. If it was written on ordinary paper then I could understand, if it was written outside the toilets then I would understand even more. As it was, neither of these things were the case.

Who takes chances, especially in the extremely sensitive climate in our country? After all, it could have been a precursor to another Virginia Tech incident.
I think it would have been s*** massacre.
PS: You are 4 times more likely to die in America from lightening, than terrorism in all its forms (both domestic & foreign)
reason.com... news-now.org...
news-now.org...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Yes indeed, I clearly remember in the 2000, interviews with various Middle East, and a particular Indian terrorist experts, that emphatically stated that the intent of terrorism is to... "Inflict as much fear as possible to the psychi of the public and government".
They dont need to drop nukes etc, all they have to do is blow up a few buildings, and the fear is in everyones mind.

Actually it appears all you have to do is write something on toilet paper.

Anyone thinking this guy deserves any kind of punishment, well YOU are the problem. the terrorists have already beaten you.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

God, so true. I only wonder who was the d-bag that thought he should be turned in for this. Hopefully it was no one under the age of 40.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
oh thats right , they dont teach personal accountability and responsibility for ones own actions in school.

A. "That would be a NO, Bob"

parents are bailing their kids out of trouble and making it go away, all the way down the line.

when I was a kid, it was understood that it there was trouble away, who ever caught ya beat your ass and when you got home you got your ass beat with a belt or a razor strap.....

true story made short.

I was 7, rock fight broke out in my yard and all the neighborhood kids were involved, we used trash can lids as shields, somehow the old mans rear windshield got busted out, wasnt my fault cause I was in back yard. I got the belt when he got home and not long after the there was a knock on the door.

The guy across the street got home, beat his kids ass, over it, back to the knock on the door. It was the guy and the kid. He apologized handed my dad the money to get it fixed and beat the kids ass with a razor strap right there in our front door entry way, and then bid us another apology and a good night.

That was how crap got taken care of in 1968

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

smyleegrl My knee jerk reaction was outrage, then I read the article again.

This may come as a big shock to you, but I think he probably expected it to be flushed down the toilet. Why would anyone with so much as one brain cell expect a terrorist to write on toilet paper? Oh of course, not everyone has one ….

He expected it to be flushed, and yet it wasn't. Who's fault is that?

If I'd found the paper with that message, I'd want to evacuate the library.
Then (in a saner world) I think you should go to prison, for extreme attention seeking, wasting the authorities time. If it was written on ordinary paper then I could understand, if it was written outside the toilets then I would understand even more. As it was, neither of these things were the case.

What would the reaction be if someone found that note, did nothing, and a bomb did explode? Everyone would be calling for the note finder's head. The only sane and responsible thing to do in a situation like this is to ensure student safety. It has to be reported.

Who takes chances, especially in the extremely sensitive climate in our country? After all, it could have been a precursor to another Virginia Tech incident.
I think it would have been s*** massacre.
PS: You are 4 times more likely to die in America from lightening, than terrorism in all its forms (both domestic & foreign)
reason.com... news-now.org...
news-now.org...

Great statistic, glad to know it.
But statistics are hindsight. You find a potential threat, do you console yourself with statistics, or do you take precautions?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Israel must be laughing at America right now.

Israel's had to deal with being rocketed for decades now.

I doubt they're this bad.

Still, this is a violation of that guy's constitutional rights. I hope he sues for false arrest and anything else.

What is this country coming to. There is no joy anymore.

Yep, the terrorists definately succeeded.

This is right out of that new Dictator movie.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

smyleegrl What would the reaction be if someone found that note, did nothing, and a bomb did explode? Everyone would be calling for the note finder's head. The only sane and responsible thing to do in a situation like this is to ensure student safety. It has to be reported.
No that’s the totally insane, paranoid thing to do!!! If a bomb had exploded, you’d be forgiven for not thinking the terrorist would have written it on toilet role i.e. you wouldn’t go to prison.
Furthermore: News of would help send the terrorists credibility of their cause down the loo!
I just hope this guy doesn’t get locked up without charge & trial. But hay if doesm, that’s US “freedom” for you –a reality brought about cowardice & fear.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join