It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS threads used by the government.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
There's not going to be any link, or quoted text to initiate this discussion. I just wanted individuals to be aware that when certain threads are started on sites such as these, new topics can be/are started in order to garner/gather public opinions about particular situations or tests. (whether popular stories or even general military theories)

This isn't an old tactic. Whenever an item in the news or even speculative is brought into the public's eye (such as these conspiracy forums here), they can and/or will be used an very fast, effective means as to what a society's gauged reaction will be.

Economy, racial tension, religious ferver, as well as introduction of new techs introduced are tested this way (among others in the public). Multiple agencies use this approach. Ranging from media motivation to propaganda itself. Conspiracy sites haven't been shut down just yet because they are so explicitly perfect for running these type of public opinion "surveys."

Simply a "reader be aware" situation. What's said here is not only monitored, it's useful. Sites such as ATS have their uses. All the scares preposing that it might be shut down for various law reasons, do not take this into account.

Just repeating myself here, but again, google, youtube, and sites like ATS introduce ways to exploit public opinion regarding current events and how to use opinion in order to achieve particular gains. That's as much as I'll say.

Best wishes to you all.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

That's as much as I'll say.

So, you know more than you can say?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
why? why would 'they' waste their time?
you should look at the viewer statistics for this website.
its a popular website relativly, but you could also say it is a piss in the ocean.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
If were the government, Id use facebook.....

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Alright, friend. There are a number of topics regarding popular terms used that initiate government response/interest. If you don't want to take what I've posted into consideration, it's no issue. Just a public awareness issue. No conspiracy, no lies, no sensationalism. It is what it is and I've let you know. What continues from here on is fair game.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVisions
There's not going to be any link, or quoted text to initiate this discussion. I just wanted individuals to be aware that when certain threads are started on sites such as these, new topics can be/are started in order to garner/gather public opinions about particular situations or tests. (whether popular stories or even general military theories)

This shouldn't be surprising. Any government that wants to be on top of things would do this in some shape or form.

If I were the head of a government, I would make sure we have our hooks in some kind of social media. The internet is powerful.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
you're right. an nsa agent has as much right to start threads here as anyone else. as long as they don't violate the t&c.

it is also possible that they start threads for the purpose of entrapment or finding potential terrorists.

if they do find a potential target, they may u2u them to "clandestine" meetings and try to actually get them to commit a crime.

it is proven tactic of the fbi to do these reverse stings.

edit on 27-5-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

I think your'e thinking of a datamine, I agree.
This thread will most probably be on it's way to the 404 ATS file, we'll see.
Good thing, there are many roads to Rome!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Would not be surprised in the least at what you postulate. Furthermore, it could be an extremely effective means on a couple different fronts.In peacetime or war it's important to know your enemy. Now the question is, who does the U.S. government consider their real enemy? Who do they consider the biggest threat? If I were in big governments shoes, it wouldn't be cave dwelling arabs.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Pretty sure the US government is dead set on getting to the bottom of those sun blobs, faces on mars, obelisks on the moon, nibiru (and it's secret other twin, nobeeru) and while they're at it, finding out who realyl knows all about chemtrails, haarp, LHC turkey sandwiches, time travel using blue lasers, perpetual energy using magnets (Don't knock magnets man, any juggallo knows whats up with that!), mole people, and just where they think that we think that they keep those FEMA camps that by now must be overflowing with political dissidents.

Wait, or is it Freemasons?

oO

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Oh man... you just rattled off a bunch of terms that will get you in trouble.

If you hear a knock on your door, do NOT open it!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

You make it sound funny by ridicule, I think this is one of the steps to the path of disinformation.
I don't think the Gumment is too worried about ufo's or bigfoot.
But if I was to look for some info, I'd ask about ideas to hide my stash, or what my focus thought about a war in a foreign country.
You could get a fair guage for what the public feels as not everyone on this site is crazy.
Or is everyone on this site crazy?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

My door only gets opened after I've peeped out the side window and can recognise it's someone I want to see. Otherwise, it's like SPAM... all and sundry think they can mosey on over.

And the phone... since I rearranged the cables around here, I broke the one to the answering machine. So it's horrible when someone just wont hang up. if someone's not answered by almost a minute later, they do not want to talk to you!!!!!!

that's what *10# is for

^^ this is a true story too, whilst the preceding story was meant to lament how dreary it would be if some agency was tasked with reading threads here. Ahh but you never know, we do know police read here. So it's a given there are like minded folk in the alphabet agencies here, but I very much doubt in any official capacity.

I'd even hazard a guess that if they did read something that set their alarm bells off, as soon as they run to the boss with a printout of the thread, boss would pat them on the head tell them what a good job they have done and give them 2 weeks paid leave...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I could care less if the government monitors ATS for public opinion... I'm fairly certain they do. However, I do not want them using taxpayer dollars to do so.

Imagine getting paid to read post on ATS all day

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Everyone is crazy everywhere. Just because they sit in an office and pontificate about how secret they are, doesn't mean they're not crazy too.

Just look at the world, it can only be this way due to mad people.

I just honestly do not think it would be cost productive for any government agency to specifically read ATS, 99% of the threads here are very low on real world content, in my opinion. -- my opinion though.

Perhaps the survival threads, where some people do offer signs that they would be someone to keep an eye on, but apart from perhaps a casual observation in a non-official capacity I really don't think they're going to keep tabs on people here.

Over all the years, I've only read 1 known case of someone who was a member going bezerko. And then there is one possible one. Who went bezerko.

Both didn't say much here.

But one guy on AlbinoBlackSheep I think it was, made a flash cartoon of him shooting up his school and then himself. Didn't say anything here.

The other guy may or may not have been just someone being full of wind around the time of Charlie Sheen, and posting rambling nonsense.... his youtube account however, stated things more clearly.

Unless they want to keep tabs on Robbie Williams - but I don't think he visits here anymore.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Lol, I could do it... but then no one would be getting their moneys worth.. haha

But you see that's my point. I cannot see how they could justify paying someone out of tax payers money to do this. All they'd get are threads about the things I posted. Perhaps they may see something occasionally, but nothing to justify an ongoing covert presence. As I said, the whackos make it known in more mainstream arenas before they go on the loopy train.

Or they don't say a thing...

ATS is just a forum... full of people from all beliefs. As mad as a bag of bunnies, but drawn not by our unified belief in everything, but because it's the only place we can talk about things where it's accepted.

We're a nut farm.. but not the nut house. That's the rest of the world.

edit on 27-5-2012 by mainidh because: subvert is not covert. ouch sunday at it's finest !

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

This might have been the case if the internet existed in the 60's but the Fringe Groups have made some of my associates jobs VERY EASY.

There is no gain in calling attention to the Agency by shutting down or having an expert in disinformation debate an issue to be able to create doubt of that Topics veracity when these Fringe groups do the job better that they ever could.

An example of this is the Gigantic in proportion numbers of people who have stated they have been abducted by Aliens. When the reality is the number is tiny. Yet people post topics that not only claim they have been abducted but in some cases...they declare these abductions were not of a Physical Nature but rather a Mental or Psychic Rape.

As far as UFO's...a video or a picture is JUST THAT! And this has very little in the way of actual proof to be presented. I KNOW E.T.to be a REALITY yet with all this Fantasy being created...there is little for any person related to disinformation to do.

Split Infinity

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

But you see that's my point. I cannot see how they could justify paying someone out of tax payers money to do this. All they'd get are threads about the things I posted. Perhaps they may see something occasionally, but nothing to justify an ongoing covert presence. As I said, the whackos make it known in more mainstream arenas before they go on the loopy train.

So they have to justify paying someone to observe a site/sites? You don't think they could datamine to find out how many people post on this site and others from region to region, state to state. Use statisticians and think tanks to determine what areas might cause the most resistance if an armed conflict were to occur between the government and it's people. Sites like ATS and GLP are perfect because it's a large concentration of for the most part like minded people, unlike facebook where there are so many accounts it becomes a lot of datamining to find out where the larger amount of resistors would be.I don't claim to know what government thinks, but if it were me that would be really great information to have. I'd want to know where large amounts of resistance would be so I could eradicate it as quickly as possible. Any time you have revolt, it needs to be severely punished as quickly as possible to let your citizens know it's not tolerated. That's how you control a population. Please understand that I'm not calling you out and claiming that you're wrong. I'm just saying that it's not out of the realm of possibility. If you're datamining, you may not be looking for one topic or another. You may just want a generalized idea of whats going on in your population and where.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

They can datamine a random number generator and get as many zeros out of the thousands they would have to sift through.

Yes, I say they would not find it cost effective. This place is not the den of seething rebellious citizens as everyone seems to think it is.

Most of us here, are apathetic whingers. It's a forum. Not a political rallying ground. And in fact that very concept is not allowed here.

They have better things to do than see if joe teatowell is going to go protest at an OCCUPY protest on the third saturday of october. At 4pm.. wearing a guy fawkes mask...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Or looking for an individual. Someone who may be the key, to the code and the lost symbol. This person may feel they are stuck with where they would go to in order to disclose their findings. Not necceserilly the whole code but a fair slice, in relation to everything.
Where would someone share or go to in order to bring this to someones attention.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join