It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House to examine plan for United Nations to regulate the Internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

House to examine plan for United Nations to regulate the Internet

thehill.com

House lawmakers will consider an international proposal next week to give the United Nations more control over the Internet.

The proposal is backed by China, Russia, Brazil, India and other UN members, and would give the UN’s International Telecommunication Union (ITU) more control over the governance of the Internet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This idea is not popular with the legislature or the Obama administration says the source.

Like it or not this proposal come could up for debate at the UN conference this December in Dubai.

If this comes to fruition the internet will lose it's “multi-stakeholder” approach that gives control to a multitude of non-profits and turn it over to the governments for regulation. Not only will creativity and productivity become bogged down with governmental regulations and controls, I foresee additional news suppression, especially information sharing among individuals that has connected us planet-wide like never before in history.

If the internet loses it's freedom to openly communicate I believe we will drift closer to a one world government. There is nothing good to come of this.

I can envision the most massive "red tape" regulations that will render the internet unworthy of our time.

thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

The freedom of information has always been bogged down. I am surprised it took so long for them to move in on the net in all honestly. I doubt they thought it would get so big and widespread. I remember back in the day when the net was mostly BBS

I never imagined it would grow like it did. Start familiarizing yourselves with TOR, I2P and Freenet. Seriously. Better safe than sorry.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
where are nearly all the nameservers for the internet located?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MatungaMassala

What's in a nameserver?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You can have my internet when you pry it from my cold dead (and hairy) palms! Regulating the net is like regulating conversation or social interactions. Yeah, some ne'er do wells commit crimes. The majority just communicate. Also, screw the UN. A good idea gone bad.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

The U.N. wants the internet! I can see more days of protest in the net's future. Where is Boxxy when you need her to lead the fight?
edit on 26-5-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It is impossible to regulate the net. Never gonna happen. Too many business and services run on the net:

Education
Online shopping
Banking
Email
Social media

Too many things to name. It is now a basic utility like electricity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Why do they feel they have a right to our internet? I say screw them they can make their own

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Boxxy lmao. Now that is something I haven't heard in a long while.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If the lawmakers have shown us anything, it's that they will pass whatever they want. No matter what sort of popular outrage might/should happen. NDAA
Sure SOPA was stopped, but that was small fries.

I suspect putting the internet in the hands of government is a terrible idea.
But control freaks have to be involved in everything, so it's no big surprise.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Tell that to China and Iran.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Control the flow of information and you can control the world the face of the NWO where there is a will there is a way people say it can't be regulated?

The can and will do everything in their power to make it happen China can control the internet for over 1 billion people what makes people think they can't control it for 7?

Never take anything at face value I would say watch behind the scenes where the real power lays.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Keep in mind, before everyone jumps to conclusions, the House subcommittee is examining the implications of such a plan, not actually planning to put it into effect. There's also legislation proposed to block any such turn over of control (see below).

A key U.S. House subcommittee plans on examining the implications of the U.S. ceding control of key aspects of the global Internet infrastructure next Thursday.

The House Energy and Commerce's subcommittee on Communications and Technology announced Wednesday that it's going to hold a hearing on proposals at the United Nations' International Telecommunication Union to afford more control over Internet governance to countries other than the United States.

Several U.S. officials, as well as Google Chairman Eric Schmidt, have suggested that proposed changes — championed by China, India and Russia — could change the fundamentally open nature of the Internet, cause chaos and undermine Internet freedom. (source - techpresident.com)

So far the US officials including Obama are not in favor of the proposal. Two congressmen have introduced legislation to prevent any such turn over of control.

McCaul, Langevin Lead Bipartisan Effort to Prevent International Internet Regulations
(congressionalcybersecuritycaucus.langevin.house.gov)

Congressmen Michael McCaul (R-TX) and Jim Langevin (D-RI), Co-Chairs of the House Cybersecurity Caucus, introduced legislation today urging the United States Permanent Representative to the United Nations to oppose any resolution that would allow regulation of the Internet.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
A few other articles on the subject:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.forbes.com...

ITU's website:

www.itu.int...
edit on 26-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Keep in mind, before everyone jumps to conclusions, the House subcommittee is examining the implications of such a plan, not actually planning to put it into effect. There's also legislation proposed to block any such turn over of control (see below).

A key U.S. House subcommittee plans on examining the implications of the U.S. ceding control of key aspects of the global Internet infrastructure next Thursday.

The House Energy and Commerce's subcommittee on Communications and Technology announced Wednesday that it's going to hold a hearing on proposals at the United Nations' International Telecommunication Union to afford more control over Internet governance to countries other than the United States.

Several U.S. officials, as well as Google Chairman Eric Schmidt, have suggested that proposed changes — championed by China, India and Russia — could change the fundamentally open nature of the Internet, cause chaos and undermine Internet freedom. (source - techpresident.com)

So far the US officials including Obama are not in favor of the proposal. Two congressmen have introduced legislation to prevent any such turn over of control.

McCaul, Langevin Lead Bipartisan Effort to Prevent International Internet Regulations
(congressionalcybersecuritycaucus.langevin.house.gov)

Congressmen Michael McCaul (R-TX) and Jim Langevin (D-RI), Co-Chairs of the House Cybersecurity Caucus, introduced legislation today urging the United States Permanent Representative to the United Nations to oppose any resolution that would allow regulation of the Internet.

What if the U.S. vetoes a resolution to give the U.N. authority to regulate the Internet and gets over-ruled by a majority vote that supports it? It's a worst case scenario, but the congressional legislation you mention would not stop this from happening. Please tell me I'm wrong.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

The proposal is backed by China, Russia, Brazil, India

That's all I needed to read before palming myself in the face.

QUICK! LAUNCH THE BAT SIGNAL!!!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Who gives a crap? Let them, we'll just create another internet. What are they gonna do, come to each of our houses and confiscate laptops, etc, when we do?

This is the first internet, there'll be way better versions if we do our own thing. Stuff the lot of them, their time is coming to a close.

Originally posted by MeesterB
If the lawmakers have shown us anything, it's that they will pass whatever they want.

And that's why soon, we'll DO whatever we want. None of them rule us, they can only have the illusion of doing so, and that is rapidly crumbling away.
edit on 27-5-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by robhines
Who gives a crap? Let them, we'll just create another internet. What are they gonna do, come to each of our houses and confiscate laptops, etc, when we do?

"we" will? And how will we 'create another internet'

Specifics, please.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Big groups of independent ISP's will band together I guess? I don't know specifics, but I do know there's many people out there with the brains to do it.

Actually there's an old link I have that I think would help, will post back if I can find it.
edit on 27-5-2012 by robhines because: added

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join