It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there too many jobs asking for gratuities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I can understand giving waiters and waitresses gratuities, because they can make or break your dining experience. They're taking your order and serving you your food. The problem with the entire gratuity thing is, more and more occupations are expecting it, when that is the job they were hired to do.

I've had bad service in restaurants before, but even then, you still feel obligated to give them the maybe 15% tip instead of the common 20% tip.

-Why would a hairdresser or barber require a tip. That's a job they're being paid to do. They're not improving my hair cut experience just because their having a friendly conversation. My dental hygienist is very friendly but I don't tip her.

-If you go to those buffet places, I have to go up and get my own food and drink, yet they have these "bus people" coming around retrieving my finished plate and glasses. They're not serving me my food, so they shouldn't be getting a tip, but it's expected. (I was a bus boy in high school and I never received a tip for clearing anyone's table. (Although, I did accidentally sweep the waitresses tip into the garbage on a table I cleaned off). Lucky she found it in the trash.

-Bartenders are hired to mix your drinks and pour you beers. I still don't understand the idea of tipping the bartender or bar maid. The people behind a fast food counter dispense milkshakes and sodas, should they be tipped too?

-I've also been given dinner bills that have the gratuity already figured in! Now what if I didn't feel my service was deserving of the full 20 percent. That's totally ignoring the premises of gratuities.

-The young guys who wipe off your car after the car comes out of the car wash are expected to be tipped. Isn't that what they were hired to do? Are garbage collectors tipped for removing your heavy trash from the curb side?

-I called and ordered a couple of dinners a few weeks back from a local chain restaurant. When I place the order, they gave me the price and than said, "that doesn't include the gratuity." What? For taking my order and I have to drive their to pick it up? They sometimes will come out of the restaurant to bring the bagged food to the car. That's as much work as someone handing you food at a fast food restaurant. And on this day, my wife had to enter the restaurant to pick up the food.

-Hotel clerks who carry your bags. I understand if you ask them too carry your bags, give them a tip. But when you don't ask, and they do it anyways, no way! It's like forcing the customer to pay for something they never asked for.

-It just seems like businesses would rather the customer pay their employees their hourly rate. Hey we only pay measly X amount of dollars, but you keep any tip the customer gives you.

-There is only one occupation that I truly feel people are genuinely gratified after their experience. It's Nursing. I sometimes feel nurses deserve more money than doctors. They're always there to calm you when you're nervous or scared. They make your hospital stay as pleasant as possible. They're never mean and are always there to comfort you.

What do you think? Are there some jobs that take advantage of making extra money by asking customers to pay a gratuity? It just seems like customer's pockets are being picked for the most measly amount of service, or a person basic job duties come with the expectation of tips.

edit on 26-5-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is because our world is one of greed. Most companies are doing anything they can to find a way to pay the employee less than minimum wage and make more money for themselves. You see, if you pay $2 an hour but the employee has tips in total to equal out to whatever minimum wage for those hours would have been, you do not have to pay them any more money. This means that they can save an average of over $5 an hour per employee. I wish I've had your experience with nurses, I would feel fair in claiming that half of mine have actually been rather rude. I mean I can understand it, their job would have to suck but I'm just saying, not all nurses are that nice and caring and in my personal experiences only about half of them are. It could be based on where I live though... The south isn't as nice as they like to claim they are.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I never tip the towel boys at the car wash or bus boys in a restaurant. They generally get paid hourly whereas a waiters whole income is gratuity.

But if you ever don't feel like tipping someone then don't... It's not mandatory and restaurants usually only include it on the bill if you've got a huge party

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I tip where I feel I should, I DO NOT tip the jar at starbucks.

Black coffee thank you, and they want a tip?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Most restaurants I've worked at in the past require the waitress to tip out the bus boy/girl and the bartender. I even had to tip out the rotisserie guy at one place. Plus you have to give your taxes on the tips that night right then and there. I think in Illinois waitresses make 3.01 an hour now. It was like 2 something an hour when i was working...so very long ago.

I don't think the buffet places pay min/wage either...that's why the bus boys/girls need the tip.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

I can't believe the restaurant owners can't afford to give the bus boys and girls at least a pay of minimum wage. I worked in the food industry a couple times and til this day, I say it's one of the most labor intensive jobs. I find it amazing when restaurants could charge $14,00 for a pasts dinner and can't afford to pay their employees minimum wage. It's a shame people stand-by and allow businesses to take advantage of us.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I only tip if the waiter or waitress isnt up my ace the whole time Im trying to have a nice meal. I dont need someone checking in on me every 5 seconds at a restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to enjoy my meal and company. As for everyone other than waitresses I say screw em they dont need a tip to do what they do go beg ur boss for money not me

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

My son worked at Outback as a bus boy for his first job. He received a percentage of tips but only made $3.00 an hour. By the time he received a percentage of tips from the waitress he was making about $5.00 an hour. The waitress would have to split her tips among the bartender, bus boys/girls. If I was a waiter or waitress, that would be the last place I would work.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
-Why would a hairdresser or barber require a tip. That's a job they're being paid to do. They're not improving my hair cut experience just because their having a friendly conversation. My dental hygienist is very friendly but I don't tip her.

It's common curtosiy because they gave you a good hair cut. Skill deserves a lil somethin' somethin' to show you appericate their art. The counter is, it's just hair. Well, your apperance, weither you like it not, determains you success in this life more than a sheep skin does. The only trump to apperance is mouth piece.

-If you go to those buffet places, I have to go up and get my own food and drink, yet they have these "bus people" coming around retrieving my finished plate and glasses. They're not serving me my food, so they shouldn't be getting a tip, but it's expected. (I was a bus boy in high school and I never received a tip for clearing anyone's table. (Although, I did accidentally sweep the waitresses tip into the garbage on a table I cleaned off). Lucky she found it in the trash.

In a buffet, the bus boy is busting his hump to keep the place clean. You don't need to leave the kid a ten, but a few quarters or a buck is considerate. He's not a bus boy for the benefits, let the kid have a little extra cash. What's the harm?

-Bartenders are hired to mix your drinks and pour you beers. I still don't understand the idea of tipping the bartender or bar maid. The people behind a fast food counter dispense milkshakes and sodas, should they be tipped too?

Sure, if I get good fast food service, I'll leave em' a buck. That stuff is hard work. Also, making a good drink, or getting good service (bartenders and maids) deserves reward.

-I've also been given dinner bills that have the gratuity already figured in! Now what if I didn't feel my service was deserving of the full 20 percent. That's totally ignoring the premises of gratuities.

If they force me to pay gratuity, not only is that all they get, it's my last visit. I'll judge my service based on service. But, it's because people chose not to tip, that some places feel the need to implement such.

-The young guys who wipe off your car after the car comes out of the car wash are expected to be tipped. Isn't that what they were hired to do? Are garbage collectors tipped for removing your heavy trash from the curb side?

I wash my own car..so don't know anything of young boys drying it off...as for garbage collection, those guys make bank, but a gift around the holidays is always a nice reward to someone that serves you once a week year round (even if it's just a card that says thanks, buddy.)

-I called and ordered a couple of dinners a few weeks back from a local chain restaurant. When I place the order, they gave me the price and than said, "that doesn't include the gratuity." What? For taking my order and I have to drive their to pick it up? They sometimes will come out of the restaurant to bring the bagged food to the car. That's as much work as someone handing you food at a fast food restaurant. And on this day, my wife had to enter the restaurant to pick up the food.

If you don't feel you've been adiquectly served, you shouldn't tip.
I think this one is more for the food you received. After all, if you wanted delivery, you should've called a place that delivers.

-Hotel clerks who carry your bags. I understand if you ask them too carry your bags, give them a tip. But when you don't ask, and they do it anyways, no way! It's like forcing the customer to pay for something they never asked for.

Never had my bags seized. A polite "no thanks, I got it my man" to a bell hop won't make him happy, but will spare you a 10.

-It just seems like businesses would rather the customer pay their employees their hourly rate. Hey we only pay measly X amount of dollars, but you keep any tip the customer gives you.

Agreed, be nice to see waitresses not having to live off tips they have to lie about on amount because their boss isn't willing to pony up a few more dollars an hour for a job that is more difficult than most give it credit for.

Running out of characters, so a quick conclusion. While sometimes gratuities are nonsense, most are common courtesy that can make or break someone's day. If you can bring a smile to someone's face for a job well done for a buck or two, what's the harm in it? Just my two cents.
edit on 26-5-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: all my posts must be edited for spelling or grammar, this one was grammar. are was a...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I feel the same way sometimes.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The problem is websites like these:
**That supposedly TEACH you how/where/when to tip and call it "etiquette"**

www.etiquettescholar.com

www.tipguide.com

...and hundreds if not thousands more.

Bottom line...do what you feel is right, not what the supposed "etiquette" is

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I never got why waitresses never made minimum wage

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Because the government feels their tips should compenate their wage.

Not agreeing with it, infact, couldn't be further in disagreement of that idea. But they tax tips, so in the end, it's all about the money (isn't always), and most waitresses end up fudging the numbers. They have no choice in this.

It's either lie to the government, or starve. In this, I agree with other posters, that a waitress should make a real wage for real hard work.

There are alot of underappreciated jobs, obviously. Where you are paid little for alot of work. I think if anyone ever actually bussed a table, waitressed (or waitered, w/e), worked a drive thru or any of these other costumer interactive jobs, they'd realize that these people get paid nothing for alot of insult, grief, stress and hard work. All to be looked down upon by society.

Meanwhile, people with sheep skins refuse to even touch these jobs, because "they're too good" for them.

What a joke.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Anything that is a "personal service" requires a gratuity. They are rendering something very personal (body contact) and outside of the product which is the haircut or the golf game itself. You pay for the product and you tip on the fact that nobody wants to touch your head or carry your things. They will for the fee of a tip - give a haircut, caddy for you. This is a "personal" service. I am just using haircut and caddy as an example. Anything where someone touches you or carries your personal things. They are not exactly merchants but valets and hand maids and depend on your gratitude in addition to the fee. (which they may or may not get depending on the job)

edit on 26-5-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Excellent breakdown and well-thought out list, OP. All good responses to this post too. I think tips should be replaced by decent wages. But on the other hand, I tip generously because my single mother raised me as a waitress dependent on tips. I mostly tip younger people these days to cheer them up. Usually I ask if they're allowed to accept tips and they say "no". Then I tell them "Well, just pretend I accidentally left this here and it's yours."

Any job I have worked where I had to do grocery carry-out or move a heavy piece of furniture into someone's car.. I always refuse tips. I do this just because I'd still like to imagine a world where people earned their living from the people who employed them, not by unceremonious handouts.

All in all, it is a nice gesture for the people that don't rely on tips. And brightening someone's day, even if for a moment, is worth a buck or two in my opinion.

But until we can change this system, please tip the waitresses who have no other income. You might just be putting a cancer survivor through college.

edit on 27-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: fix

edit on 27-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: more fixing

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LrBc1275

This last one really bugs me.

Tip Jars Whether to put change into the jar is your choice. Workers at counter-service businesses normally receive sufficient base salaries.

So why put a jar out if you're salary is sufficient? To me, it's a shady way of getting more money out of the customer, period.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

There are alot of underappreciated jobs, obviously. Where you are paid little for alot of work. I think if anyone ever actually bussed a table, waitressed (or waitered, w/e), worked a drive thru or any of these other costumer interactive jobs, they'd realize that these people get paid nothing for alot of insult, grief, stress and hard work. All to be looked down upon by society.
reply to post by Lasr1oftheJedi

I can agree with you 100%. I experienced it earlier in life and I always said I would never work in the food service business again. I wouldn't even want to start a business in the food industry considering the amount of time you have to set aside in preparing the food. Not to mention food is a perishable, it only lasts so long. If you don't use it, you're losing money.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

So if there is personal contact the job should receive a gratuity? A hair stylist or barber CHOSE to go into that profession. They received training just like a plumber, electrician and carpenter. Do any of those tradesman get tips? Nurses have more personal contact than any other profession, do they get tips?

It just doesn't make logical sense. If these people didn't want to touch your hair, they shouldn't have gone into the profession. For people who pay to be trained in a skill, they shouldn't expect to get a tip for something they paid to learn how to do. Massage therapists fall into the same category.

This is exactly why unions came onto the scene. When workers are being ignored of a hard days work, and at the same time are not being paid a livable wage, they have a right to band together to demand a fair wage for a fair days work.

new topics

top topics

join