It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Media (UK) preparing nasty suprise?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I have placed this in grey area, because I have no sources I am free to reveal on this issue. So take this as you wish.

On thursday morning 24th May 2012, something happened within Virgin Medias network, and a few websites became unreachable (including ATS, I'm posting via a VPN). By the 25th, those few websites had snowballed to become a large number.

On the 25th, Virgin Media finally acknowleged there was an issue. Their official line was "Routing issues". An ETA for a fix was set for 11pm that night. As 11pm approached, the ETA was pushed back to 11pm the 26th.

By the 26th, there were more unreachable websites, than there were reachable ones. The ETA was pushed back yet again to 11pm the 27th.

It doesn't take that long to resolve routing issues. This suggests that the fault was a bit more substantial.

It is interesting to note that all the unavailable websites, answer pings, and traceroutes. That fact alone suggests that there is no "routing issue", and the "routing issue" is just a facade. Also, using live http headers, you can see the initial handshake with the server is made successfully, and then... the content gets blocked.

I belive they were installing equipment for deep packet inspection(DPI) and the UK governments GCHQ taps into everyones internet as was widely publicised that the government was going to do, and something went drastically wrong.

Comments?
edit on 26/5/2012 by BMorris because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
No problems on my end.

While I'm at it...

Are you sure this wasn't just a fault at your end?
edit on 26/5/12 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

I'm on Virgin in the UK too and dont have the problem. The only site I know virgin blocked for sure is piratebay and that was due to a court order

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
err virgin media are doing upgrades giving everyone free double speed.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is not related to the double speed issue (which has its own issues, but not a topic for this thread).

Have a read of this, it is the official topic thread on Virgins own forums.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I like the insight but fear you maybe wrong on this one. I am a virgin media customer and the only site I can't get on is NHS direct.

ALS

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

See the link in my previous post. VM have acknowleged there is a serious and major issue. 25+ years in IT means I quickly rule out faults with my own equipment

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The OP clearly has forgotten to take their medication.
BTW its just a clever way of finding out which isp you use...suckers, you fell for it...doh.
edit on 26-5-2012 by MatungaMassala because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by BMorris

then its probably cookie related as new laws been passed so websites asks ur permission to use them on ur pc

link   
reply to post by BMorris

Fair enough.

I don't know, I've had zero faults with my internet and I use it 24/7 unless I'm sleeping

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatungaMassala
The OP clearly has forgotten to take their medication.

And you are disgusting.

ALS

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MatungaMassala

You're right. I did. Thanks for reminding me. However, I don't see what my insulin has to do with anything really.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

My memory is a bit dodgy nowdays but I seem to remember when PHORM was being discussed Virgin never actualy said NO. If I remember correctly they were on the fence.

I'd be changing ISP if I were you.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

you probably have brain fog.
Did you try switching everything off for 20 seconds then powering back on again?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

May I ask what good changing our ISP will do? They all basically fall under our goverments thumb, pointless if you ask me and they do provide the best server out of them all.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
do they only have one server?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I am a Virgin media customer and, as luck would have it, a telecoms engineer.

I did not experience any of the issues you have said you did over the time you have mentioned. Also, just because you can ping or traceroute somewhere, that doesn't mean there isn't an issue within their network. Did you ping using IP addresses or the domain name?

link   
reply to post by MatungaMassala

The hamsters took ill.

link   
reply to post by David291

Too long ago to remember details but when phorm was on the table there were isp's who said they would fight it, vm were not one of them. I'd prefer to be with an isp that at least tried to say no.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It is worth noting that your theory of them installing snooping devices (which is bollocks anyway) is blown out the water, seeing as Virgin themselves issued a statement advising on a workaround.

Why would they advise on a workaround if they were "installing" equipment for snooping? You actually show a limited understanding of how networks operate to think that such an installation would even be visible to the end user.

Virgin Media

top topics

<<   2 >>

join