It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing video of 747 lifting in place in extreme wind conditions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Youtube Video Description:

This 747 is sitting in a boneyard in Mojave, CA awaiting scrapping. On May 23rd, 2012 the area experienced extreme winds of 70+ miles per hour due to a low pressure zone. Without the weight of its engines, the slightly tail heavy 747 tries to take to the skies one last time. The next day the plane was found to have also rotated about 45 degrees from its original position. The same wind storm damaged many rooftops, cut power and sent huge clouds of sand and dust billowing into the sky. Mojave will occasionally experience this type of wind storm due to geography.

Screen capture for those unable to view video (yes it is stationary)

Granted it doesn't have engines to weigh it down and it was heavy in the tail, but what a sight huh? One of the Youtube comments was rather fitting imo.

poor 747 wanted to fly again...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Poor jet, it doesn't wanna be scraped.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Free Willy!!! I would love to buy a fuselage to use as a house.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Hell yeah, i saw on travel channel, some guy made a house entirely out of old pan-am paraphernalia. Including an old pan-am fuselage.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

perfect. Exactly what i saw in my head

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
When I was a young apprentice mechanic some of the old hands used to tell tales of Tiger Moths and Vildebeast torpdoe bombers flying backwards in strong winds that were "faster" than their max airspeed!

With all its guts stripped out & engines missing that 747 would have a seriously lowered V1! lol

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Based on title, was disappointed. Just got to see a grounded empty jet adjusting to wind velocity.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Yeah, not my verbiage, was the Youtubers video title, just following T&C's. Admittedly not "amazing" for me either, but definitely not something you see everyday.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I just realised how dull my Sunday had become when i watched that video with excitement.

new topics

top topics

join