It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House dismantled to free '700-pound' teenager

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

"Britain's heaviest teenager," who is believed to weigh more than 700 pounds (318kg), had to have part of her house demolished because she was too big to leave it. A 40-strong team of doctors, paramedics, fire crews, council workers and scaffolders worked Thursday to free 19-year-old Georgia Davis, who needed to go to the hospital after falling sick. It took experts eight hours to remove a wall, leaving a 10-foot (3m) by 10-foot (3m) hole in the top floor of the townhouse in Aberdare, South Wales. A bridge was built from the sidewalk to the gap in the wall to enable the emergency services to remove Davis, who was thought to have been conscious during the procedure. The Welsh Ambulance Service sent a specially reinforced vehicle for obese patients -- known as a "bariatric ambulance" -- to the property.

www.foxnews.com...

Now this is just getting out of hand if you go on to read the rest of the article it talks about how this teen went to fat camp and got down to 250 lbs. I mean what self respecting parents would not intervene on their childs inability to stop eating. They sent her away for nine months which was a good start because she was 400lbs at the time but then did nothing to keep her on the right track and now she is around 700lbs and needing to have her house carved up to get out. I mean who the f lets their children do this to themselves. She is 19 now but this has been a lifelong problem for this girl and it should not have escalated to this. Just plain sickening

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The only reason people get fat is because they eat low quality, processed foods.

Fix the food industry, solve fattening americans. You can't blame people for their ignorance when the true cause of their sickness comes not only from their poor choice of food, but the diminishing quality of food available as well.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

"Davis, who was thought to be conscious at the time..."

This is the part that gets me. They THOUGHT she was conscious, as in...didn't know for sure? Is this for real?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

It took experts eight hours to remove a wall, leaving a 10-foot (3m) by 10-foot (3m) hole in the top floor of the townhouse in Aberdare, South Wales
reply to post by dadank

Where in the Americas is that? The Americas is not the only continent with fat people. Nor are they the fattest any more.

Bigotry is so sexy

Any how- that's pretty disgusting that any body can get that fat, let alone a teenager.
edit on 26-5-2012 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hopefully this serves as a wake-up call to her and her family.The human heart wasnt designed to handle that kind of weight and early death would be inevitable.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dadank

Nah, you get fat by eating too much and exercising too little. A large portion of the nobility was fat before processed foods even existed.

But, if you get to 700 pounds, you have an eating disorder/mental problem at that point.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dadank

Your spot on mate, its what is in the food thats the problem.

An experiment for people to try.
Go out and buy something that contains fructose. Eat/drink it. You'll notice you stilll have an appetite and want more.

Fructose blocks the signals that the gut sends to the brain that should be telling you to stop eating.
edit on 26-5-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dadank

no its not the quality, it's the quantity.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Theres enough energy in one big mac to keep you mountain biking for many hours. Exercise is healthy, but does little to lose weight.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
reply to post by dadank

no its not the quality, it's the quantity.

I'd reckon a complete lack of physical activities goes in hand with this as well. I mean she obviously was being a "Jaba-the-esque-hermit". The fact the parents allowed it is, in my opinion such awful fail of parental duties that it would constitute it as child abuse.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I read about this in the paper and am totally disgusted at the lack of help and support this girl received from family, medical personal etc.

Having lived in this town, I can give some perspective on the girls back ground.

Aberdare was a mining town in the welsh valleys, until the mines were closed down. There is little work, I get the impression that anyone with any gumption left the town years ago, chasing jobs elsewhere. So a large percentage of the people who are left, are the families without any get up and go.

The town is only around 7 miles from Mertha, which I believe had the highest rate of benefit claimaints in the uk a couple of years back. Even when the sun is shining, the mood of the town is grey and depressed, totally deprived. There is so little available money that I met people who got valium from the doctor, then risked getting arrested and going to court, for selling their meds for ten pounds per month. That to me is pure stupidity.

This girl lives on a large council estate, just outside the town, its 2 miles to the nearest supermarket, clearly neither her nor her mother were fit enough to carry shopping this distance. The local shops are very expensive and sell mainly junk food. There is little for teenagers to do, the estate has lots of drug dealers, sporting expensive equipment, but dreadful homes. The gps are useless, the boys school was great, one of the last grammer schools, the girls school I understood to be awful.

To escape from the values and depression of a community can be very hard for children whos parents are intelligent and balanced with their parenting skills, for a child whos parents are at best average, (not commenting on the parent in this case, just in general) escaping from their heritage can be almost impossible.

If I had stayed in this town, my sons would not have thrived as they have since I left. Peer pressure is very persuaive.

This kid never had a chance, living in this town, with elderly old fashioned parents.

Please bear in mind, that our parents upbringing influences their parenting skills. This girls mother would have endured rationing and would have taken on the values of her parents, which were fat babies are healthy babies, food was used as a reward in those days.

I have experienced something similar, as my grandfather was born in 1893, my great grandfather in 1850.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by eccentriclady

Great post, nice to have some knowledgable input.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Thank you

I wasn't sure if my comments would be appreciated, as on the news sites most people just put the girl and her family down. Being large is dreadful, My mum had a gastric bypass three years back, so I have watched the distress of someone very large. Its horrid for them,

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
They could have dismantled the teenager and saved the house. After all the teenagers weight is self inflicted, the house did nothing wrong. There is no excuse for that sort of weight gain.... we'll they do offer excuses, but there is nothing but lack of self control that causes it.

I have plenty of Pacific Island friends who were overweight (they are mostly all overweight). But most of my friends have got slimmer and almost look normal now for one reason only......

.... they changed their thinking, their eating habits and their lifestyle. Don't tell me it can't be done, I've seen proof of mass slimming in overweight people who 'decided' enough was enough.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Someone that large who can't get up to leave the house has an enabler who has to go out and get the food

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
All I can really say is that it takes a balanced lifestyle to stay in shape. Quality and Quantity go hand in hand. If you pay attention to what you are eating and how much of it you are eating you can keep your body in check. Exercise and active lifestyle help keep the extra weight off too if you are like me. I do not eat anything near what is considered normal. that is to say I eat 2 meals a day and they are relatively small. I see skinny people eat more in one sitting than I eat in a day but for me I have to limit my quantity because otherwise I will get fat.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dadank
The only reason people get fat is because they eat low quality, processed foods.

Fix the food industry, solve fattening americans. You can't blame people for their ignorance when the true cause of their sickness comes not only from their poor choice of food, but the diminishing quality of food available as well.

You say that you can't blame people for your ignorance, but claim that fixing the food industry would solve fattening Americans, when this story was actually about an ENGLISH child.

Actually, fixing the food industry won't help, as Americans will simply find other ways to get their sugar, salt, and fat fixes. as will people in other countries in the Western World.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by eccentriclady

The system works well doesnt it, people are damaged by toxic food and instead of blaming those who manufacture it the sheeple blame the consumer. Just look at some of the posts in this thread.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

The energy in a big mac is called calories, if you eat over 3,500 of them and do not burn it off you will gain weight. Exercise will help you burn off the cals.

There were plenty of rich fat people before processed/unnatural chemical filled food came into existence.
edit on 26-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

That is crrrrrazy cool!
I imagine we can blame this persons handlers for it's ....problem.
After all, they could have said, "this is your portion, if you want more, you'll have to go get it."
As soon as it was small enough to get into the kitchen or just up,it might decide to lose some weight.
No sympathies here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join