It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Fridge - The Danes have done it again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Scientists from the Danish Technical University have further perfected the magnetic refrigerator.

L Theil Kuhn, N Pryds, C R H Bahl and A Smith
Fuel Cells and Solid State Chemistry Division, Risø DTU, Technical University of Denmark,
DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark:

"Based on the magnetocaloric effect, magnetic refrigeration at room temperature has for the past decade been a promising, environmentally friendly new energy technology predicted to have a significantly higher efficiency than the present conventional methods. However, so far only a few prototype refrigeration machines have been presented worldwide and there are still many scientific and technological challenges to be overcome. We report here on the MagCool project, which spans all the way from basic materials studies to the construction of a prototype. Emphasis has been on ceramic magnetocaloric materials, their shaping and graded composition for technological use. Modelling the performance of a permanent magnet with optimum use of the flux and relatively low weight, and designing and constructing a prototype continuous magnetic refrigeration device have also been major tasks in the project."

We are now at room temperature.

Source
edit on 26-5-2012 by HolgerTheDane2 because: what can I say - my keyboard can't sbell

more]Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 26/5/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
My first thought was that this perfercted, coupled with our currant computer tech will increase it by many layers.

This could help dramatically for AI.

Cheers.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
And not only as refrigerator.

They explain to some degree that as well as cooling by having the fluid (which can be water) circulating one way through the internal cassettes the system can heat as well by having the fluid circulate the other way through the system.

If they find a good - relatively cheap - magnetocaloric material, this could indeed become a very significant invention.
I'm sure they could easily beat the Facebook Stock Adventure

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So, it's like a beer fridge, but for magnets?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
So, it's like a beer fridge, but for magnets?

Let me guess - - - - . . . . . hmmmmm
American?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane2

How'd you guess?

edit on 26-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "refrigerator magnet." Nice find!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So, can you still put refrigerator magnets on it or will they fly off every time it kicks on?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is very cool I've been following magnetic refrigeration for the last few years, and I sincerely hope they can come up with a workable cheap version of the system soon.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm sorry to be so stupid. However can someone please tell me in layman's terms of what this is and what it does?

I see energy generation in there?

Is it a much more efficient way of producing electricity through a magnetic force that in the past could only be deemed possible at less than room temperature?

Laymans terms please.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So, can you still put refrigerator magnets on it or will they fly off every time it kicks on?

depends on which side you stick to it!
j/k

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
I'm sorry to be so stupid. However can someone please tell me in layman's terms of what this is and what it does?

Is it a much more efficient way of producing electricity through a magnetic force that in the past could only be deemed possible at less than room temperature?

Laymans terms please.

A refridgerator that uses a magnetic field instead of freon or some other coolant and it gets a lot colder too. (very "loosely" described in layman's terms... so the vernacular-trolls don't attack)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Laymans terms please.

A rough translation from the Danish text::

Four steps are repeated cyclically up to ten times per second.

1) The magnetocaloric material is passed through a powerful magnetic field and will thus be heated.

2) The heat is removed by flowing coolant (e.g. water) over the material. The coolant absorbs the heat, and the material is now cold.

3) The material is transferred out of the magnetic field and becomes demagnetized. Because it is already cold, the temperature falls even more than in the starting point.

4) The hot coolant is now passed through the now cold material, and the liquid is cooled and can be re-introduced into the fridge.
The material in turn becomes heated, and is back to the same state as in the starting point.

The process can start again.

edit on 27-5-2012 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Awesome. thanks to you and Mr Chicken about the laymans terms.

Pretty cool. Thanks.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Very welcome dude

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Pretty cool. Thanks.

You're welcome. I'm really exited about this breakthrough and I've found this picture in the Danish on-line media (Videnskab.dk)

"Varme optagelse" is "heating up"
"Varme afgivelse" is "cooling down"

Top part is conventional compressor technology - lower part is Magnetocaloric cooling

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
So basically they are finding a way to replace freon?

I started off thinking they could keep food fresh by using magnetic currents rather than cold.

top topics

join