It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Movie Predicts Future: Idiocracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Unfortunately for us, that movie is Mike Judge's epic tale - Idiocracy.

I'm sure many of you have seen the film, for those who are not familiar (do yourself a favor and see it) Idiocracy is about an average Joe who volunteers for a military experiment which sends Joe to the future, where he finds evolution is hard at work, and all the humans of the future have become... idiots.

without further adieu, I give you...

The show is America's Got Talent, unless you live under a rock, or your country hates TV, you probably have heard of this or a variant.

The act? Getting hit in the balls, which got voted on to the next round (seriously).

The prediction? An idiotic human of the future is watching a television show, which is nothing but people getting hit in the balls, over and over....

Oh boy.

Source
edit on 26-5-2012 by Lighterside because: source added

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

That movie will be looked at, in hind-sight, like we look at The Power Elite by Mills. It is a sad prophetic movie and I see us moving towards that reality everyday.

Wake me up when Star Bucks starts giving happy endings. That's about the only good thing in that future.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I must agree, I seen this movie about a month ago, and all i could think about was todays day in age. Scary stuff, when a B grade movie hits it on the head.

Not a bad movie, It's a B grade Comedy, but with a serious note and storyline. Check it out, you won't be let down.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yep. I saw the movie shortly after it came out and was very spooked. It seemed to describe the decay of civilization I was witnessing around me at the time. I'm certainly not okay with this, but have accepted the reality that the stupid outbreed the intelligent, and this trend will likely continue on unless someone decides to take actions to counteract it.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip. Have not seen the movie and will have to rent it.

As far as the concept. Well as Carlos Mencia said, " If you dont think God has a sense of humor then just go to Wal-Mart and look around." The industry I work in is one based on people comming into it and working their way up, learning a trade from the bottom and progressing as their skills progress. All I can say is in about ten years I would be afraid to be any any new building sight.

Then you read the studies done on what kids know about the history and geography of this country. Its a scary world we move into now.
edit on 26-5-2012 by David134 because: (no reason given)

Ps: In my day ( and even today ) I always really tried to avoid getting hit in the balls. Never really thought of it as a talent.
edit on 26-5-2012 by David134 because: after thought

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Nice work Lighterside, You earned this flag.

What a sad state we are in. Idiocracy is set in the distant future, whereas the parts of the story, the important messages, are being lived out right now,

Monsanto is destroying our ability to use the land. Fracking, drilling and the destruction of the oceans is self evidently true even to a child.
Younger and younger people are having kids, their by no means dumb or stupid, but they lack life experiences and the certain vital knowledge that comes with time. Also having kids young means a lot of doors are closed to them, maybe the next Einstein or Newton is 17 with two kids and cant spend the majority of his/her day testing the scientific frontier. (Of course I am not saying having children is a chain around ones neck, it obviously can mean the exact opposite)
Our elected officials are not looking out for you or me, which means problem after problem after problem for us and the bountiful earth.

There are many more comparisons from the film (which I enjoyed) that are eerily true today.
Maybe another time TPTWERE used the propaganda machine to shape our subconscious mind.

I wish there was a lighter side to this but.........................................

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by InspirationEverywhere

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that people have been progressively waiting longer to have their first child, on average...for at least the last few generations.

The news might tell you differently, but I'm not sure statistics confirms this.

According to this link , the average age of the mother of her first born has risen from 21.4 - 25 from 1970 - 2006.
edit on 26-5-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Are you jealous because the man in the OP can get hit in the groin and walk away ok because he is a balless eunuch? You can have your balls removed too, it's a relatively simple procedure. People have been doing it for thousands of years. The modern term is called being neutered, like what you do to an over aggressive dog.

Snip, snip.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I love this movie, and as far as I know it was not screened in its entirety in the US. They withdrew some funds when it turned out that the movie is not ending in an optimistic mood.
I feel recently it is the much maligned logical-left brain capabilities are rapidly eroding in modern consumer society, it is fast becoming an attention-deficit society with very little logic and issues.
The misuse of technology is clearly at fault, cell phones and TV and a society built around cars and shopping malls. Yet, what gives me hope is that more and more people are disillusioned and are searching for alternatives, and organizing over the Internet.
The reason why I think a world war is looming is precisely this attention-deficit general stupidity, including the ghosts of the past ruling people's minds - ghosts we thought once we had defeated, such as dogmatic religion, racism and a general lack of thinking over economic and environmental issues.
Control of attention is the key to survival, and I also think if you want your family to survive the children need some discipline and respect - not anything harsh and Prussian style, neither Confucian, but some sort of ancient order like the one observed in tribes as well.

We have truly arrived at the level of Idiocracy in 2012.
It may be an anti-utopia but if you look at the level of political propaganda is such that most people thirty or forty years ago would have never accepted such blatant mindlessness.

In a way, this film reminds me of Kubrick's dystopia Clockwork Orange as well as Harrison Bergeron - another great dystopia where the general population is dumbed down by artificial means.

Harrison Bergeron

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The future is now.

Oh, how grand to live in such an age !

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lighterside
Unfortunately for us, that movie is Mike Judge's epic tale - Idiocracy.

I'm sure many of you have seen the film, for those who are not familiar (do yourself a favor and see it) Idiocracy is about an average Joe who volunteers for a military experiment which sends Joe to the future, where he finds evolution is hard at work, and all the humans of the future have become... idiots.

without further adieu, I give you...

EDIT BY pics removed - because enough is enough...

The show is America's Got Talent, unless you live under a rock, or your country hates TV, you probably have heard of this or a variant.

The act? Getting hit in the balls, which got voted on to the next round (seriously).

The prediction? An idiotic human of the future is watching a television show, which is nothing but people getting hit in the balls, over and over....

Oh boy.

I was considering what was the worst -
that anyone could come up with this as entertainment,
that the crowd went nuts (sorry couldn't resist it)
that two of the judges gave a standing ovation
or
that it was three loud and clear yes'es

America truly is into a mental freefall

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

After now viewing the movie, I have to concur 100%

Bloody funny movie too, thanks for letting me know about it. haha, bit rough in places, but well done.

We are indeed on that track. Oh how that pains me to think.. just glad I wont be alive in 500 years

lol

top topics

join