It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euro crisis: UK plans for rise in immigrants

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Euro crisis: UK plans for rise in immigrants

www.bbc.co.uk

The Home Office is drawing up contingency plans to cope with a possible big increase in immigration from Greece if the euro collapses.

EU nationals are largely entitled to work anywhere in the single market.

But Home Secretary Theresa May told the Daily Telegraph "work is ongoing" to restrict European immigration in the event of a financial collapse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Ok, I can go with that, but what's the bigger picture?

I think the twist is in the game of chess currently being played out before our eyes. Where it will take us only history will record..

It looks like we (the UK) is headed for a lock down on lots of things, in particular freedom of movement.

Let's look at this 'twist'
From the report posted above we see this;

Mrs May also told the Telegraph work is under way to deny illegal immigrants access to work, housing, services and even bank accounts.

"The aim is to create here in Britain a really hostile environment for illegal migration," she said.

So why has this work not been implemented before in order to stop the flow of illegal immigrants into the UK? Why suddenly now there is a 'master plan'?

Are we going to have a lock down of our borders and security checks on every street corner?
The reason I ask that is due to a bit of news that I posted about the other week.. How the police force is being reduced and private security firms seem to slipping into their place, or at least, efforts being made to have these firms patrol the streets.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Will we find ourselves having to carry identity papers at all times and be ready to show them at any time we are told to do so?

Another thing makes me think from the above report is the use of the word firewall..

Prime Minister David Cameron said last week the eurozone must decide soon whether it wants to stay together or break-up.

He told MPs: "If it wants to carry on as it is it has to build a proper firewall, it has to take steps to secure the weakest members or it has to work out it has to go in a different direction.

"It either has to make-up or it is looking at a potential break-up. That is the choice they have to make and it is a choice they can not long put off."

Does he mean 'fire sale' instead?
Is this a coded warning to others about what's going to happen?

Just how do they intend to stop Greeks coming to the UK when tptb can't even stop illegal immigrants coming here from Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and other places?
They've been trying to stop this for years yet seem to get nowhere

But now, there is some major plan, possibly supported by private security firms given police powers to stop and search anyone any place, any time.

I feel the dangers of a Eurozone finacial collapse are nothing in comparison to what could come from it..

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
A very scary game is being played. I feel for the Greeks and I feel for my fellow British too.

In fact, I feel for everyone who is suffering at the hands of the wealthy, greedy, global leaders at the moment.

We just need to stand strong, we need to fight against any implementation of draconian measures and we need to keep our heads cool whilst we're doing it.

-- Although tighter immigrant control is not always per se a bad thing. But the issues that scare me are the ones the OP mentioned - ID cards and such.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
TBH I think we should close our borders anyway..

We are already full without this..

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
TBH I think we should close our borders anyway..

We are already full without this..

I totally agree !
Can't even go to the supermarket without an immigrant ( illegal or not ) trying to wash my car.
Makes me sick, my son done three years at college and still can't get a job, and it's not through not looking.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is not about illegal immigration, its about how the EEC is set up.

It was meant to be about free trade within the EEC countries (didnt happen) and free movement of workers. Nothing free about being forced to leave your family to be able to earn a living.

Worse still is these migrant workers undercut the workers of the target hosts impoverishing the workforce of those hosts forcing down the average wage needed to be resident.

You hear constantly how these migrant workers are so much better than the british worker so I ask why are they always paid half the wage?

We need to stop thinking locally and support ALL workers within the EEC and beyond because unless we do we will ALL pay the price while the mega rich become super rich.

The fear being put forward around illegal immigration is small beer compared to the real problem. Dont let yourselves be sidetracked from the real issue here.

THE ECONOMICAL ENSLAVEMENT OF THE 99% TO FUND THE 1%
edit on 26-5-2012 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

To an extent I agree.
You have to consider those that come here legaly, either through marriage or are students or actually have some other form of added bonus that they can give to the UK whilst here.

The problem that exists is the amount of people who are already here illegaly that tptb want to get out of the country. To do so, you'd have to have a lock down and have everyones ID checked all the time.

No ID, you get arrested, DNA taken, cell phone data downloaded and stored, all until your ID is checked and confirmed.
Those that are here already that should not be, will be detained and, eventually, deported at tax payers eventual expense.
Then you got the issue of assylum. The majority detained try to claim some form of assylum and are held or allowed to roam free until their case comes to court or whatever they do.. Again at tax payers expense..

The Greeks could argue assylum from poverty, from the collapse of their banking/governmental system etc.. It's worth a try.. Where else do you go when there is no food in the shops, no work, no future etc..

Having a big time control of immigrants already in existence has not worked, is not working and fails along every road they take.. There are still way too many here in the UK.

Finding them is the big issue.

Private security forces given the power of stop and search is possibly the only option to dig out these people, but it will involve everyone.. everyone is on the wanted list..

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

The Greeks could argue assylum from poverty, from the collapse of their banking/governmental system etc.. It's worth a try.. Where else do you go when there is no food in the shops, no work, no future etc..
My understanding of the EEC agreement is that any Greek, Spaniard, Prortugues and in fact all people of the member countries have the right to come to the UK to work just as we have to work anywhere in the EEC.

The issue here is not immigration.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42

My understanding of the EEC agreement is that any Greek, Spaniard, Prortugues and in fact all people of the member countries have the right to come to the UK to work just as we have to work anywhere in the EEC.

The issue here is not immigration.

And is precisely the reason why we should leave the EU.. We are NOT the worlds refugee camp either.. We cant house every waif and stray that comes to these shores.. We are already struggling because of it..

Our teenagers cant even get work.. We need out of the EU..We need to plug the holes.. Close our borders.. Get rid of anyone who is not entitled to be here.. Spend the money that gets wasted on Brussels on our infrastructure and invest in our manufacturing base.. Create jobs and a future for OUR kids..

Then

When we have sorted ourselves out.. Then allow foreign workers.. But only skilled ones..

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BuggingWicked

There's some of those car washers in my local supermarket.

Just how have they managed to set up shop in these places? Which 'company' is behind them? Did these big supermarket chains really give permission for these guys to operate, or are the car parks privately owned and out of supermarket control..

If so, who is Mr. Big?

I have my doubts about these car washers being self employed, I suspect them to be employed by some string puller somewhere.. Staff turn over seems to be frequent..
Are these people moving from place to place via a chain of car washing establishments and avoiding detection..

With a Euro collapse, Greeks would find it hard to go anywhere else. I have personally had experience of trying to find work in France and Germany. France said I didn't speak the language well enough and Germany laughed at me and told me to go home.. So much for the ability to work anywhere in the Euro zone.

Seems they tend to look after themselves, forget everyone else and move on those who try to stay.. Only option is the soft touch UK..

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Things are looking REALLY bad for Greece if Greeks think the UK looks good by comparison.

I didn't realize things had gotten that bad.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

i'd be very interested to know what kind of oath these private services would be operating under. would they up hold common law? and would they be the crown's service or something else? This could be very bad.
I feel this may link into the governments desire to rewrite human rights law and the social contract, as it protects certain freedoms.
for me the bottom line is if sombody goes to the trouble of living illegally in britain (which isn't easy i'm sure) they probably have a very good reason for it, most illegal immigrants aren't simply economic migrants. why isn't this side of the argument in the public arena? it's just as relevant as the economic argument.
immigration only damages the economy because we have a housing crisis (or rather a crisis of land ownership). huge areas of the UK are owned by archaic institutions like the crown corporation and the 'Oxbridge' universities, not mention what's left of our aristocracy. The other problem is our obsession with home ownership (bunch of homowners) and the lack of social housing. If we sort these issues, our country will be in a much better position to except immigrants, to who we owe respect as fellow citizens of earth. Not that that is the only reason we should do it...
times are changing, this is all being dreamt up bay a party with no majority in parliament aswel...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Surely if Greece pulls out of the Euro they will be kicked from the Common Market (EU) as well?

This will negate the "free travel between EU members" theory. Greeks will NOT be able to travel freely around the EU if they are no longer a member state.

Also, who in Greece will have any money left to be able to afford to emigrate?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

FYI I have never been in favour of being part of the EEC but if you think we can get out before another wave of dispossessed workers come our way I think you may be mistaken.

You can wave the flag all you like we are where we are. The answer is not clamping down on immigration legal or otherwise. The problem is migrant workers.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Surely if Greece pulls out of the Euro they will be kicked from the Common Market (EU) as well?

This will negate the "free travel between EU members" theory. Greeks will NOT be able to travel freely around the EU if they are no longer a member state.

Also, who in Greece will have any money left to be able to afford to emigrate?

"free travel" is the word of the day..
If people fromAfghansitan and others can manage to get across Europe and into the UK undetected, then it's not going too much effort fro those from Greece.

The ones who will try will be the singletons, the teens, those whose families understand that they must go in order to find work to feed a family..
Many will not be able to move at all, like the elderly, unfit etc. and those who do not wish to leave their families, you'll also get a balance out of all of these listed where some will see less people in places and be able to find some form of work.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42
reply to post by EvanB

FYI I have never been in favour of being part of the EEC but if you think we can get out before another wave of dispossessed workers come our way I think you may be mistaken.

You can wave the flag all you like we are where we are. The answer is not clamping down on immigration legal or otherwise. The problem is migrant workers.

Re-read my post... You will see we agree

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It would seem that Greece may be doing almost the exact same thing.
Closing their own borders.. !!!
Greece May Deploy Military And Close Borders

What are they going to do? Stop people from leaving the sinking ship?
Is their a secret pact with other governments not to allow the Greeks anywhere near other countries?

Something is deffinitely going on behind the scenes..

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

why hasnt it been introduced before?

Because immigrants for the most part came over for work, better life and an enjoyable society.

They didn’t come over out of necessity (not all of them anyway) and the numbers coming over were relatively manageable.

Compared to if the EURO nosedived and mass amounts of people lost everything, I think you'd have an exodus of people trying to get into the UK.

Bringing in a system where its not a utopia in the UK compared to the EU for these economic refugees is smart, more of them will try and focus on fixing life at home and finding a living there..

smart thinking!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Are you suggesting we poison our well to deter others drinking from it? If you are your madder than cameron.

Ah missed the last line. Irony.

edit on 26-5-2012 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

how is it poisoning your own well, when your making rules and regulations on foreign people entering your country?
Is restricting them from housing, banking and all that going to make your life harder ?

I mean, if you have 1 million people enter a small time, take the jobs, fill up the streets, the welfare.. it will make life crap for the original inhabitants.

If you bring in rules saying foreign people coming in cant have these jobs, cant use these facilities.. then they would be less inclined to come right? and the rules apply to new, foreign people not the original inhabitants.

edit on 26-5-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join