It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Networks Say You're Breaking The Law When You Skip Commercials

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm at work, so I don't care, soon as my shift ends so will my posts. The stupidity displayed here is running rampant.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Can someone enlighten me as to how anyone is going to be able to enforce a law that requires TV users to watch the adverts during playback of recorded programmes? Banning people from actually recording them in the first place is obviously a no-go scenario, because it isn't going to happen.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

Jeebus Crisps...

That isn't what this is about...for the 5th (6th?) time..

Read the thread..

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
Can someone enlighten me as to how anyone is going to be able to enforce a law that requires TV users to watch the adverts during playback of recorded programmes? Banning people from actually recording them in the first place is obviously a no-go scenario, because it isn't going to happen.

Simple, they will start making machines WITHOUT a fast-forward fuction. After a few years all the old machines will be dead and fast-forward will be a thing of the past.

From the looks of things they are already doing just that

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Originally posted by MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by Daedal

So, if I understand this correctly, they are ticked off because the companies that advertise and support the networks aren't able to reach the CONSUMERS through commercials.

If we are not forced to see all of the new trinkets and toys and products that we are supposed to BUY to make us happy and content....the big corporations could potentially be losing profits.

If my assumptions are wrong...someone please enlighten me.

Otherwise, what a crock!

edit on 27-5-2012 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

Spot on. And if the companies that advertise and support the networks aren't able to reach the consumers, why should they support the networks?

And if the networks have no support, and presumably aren't wiling to make programmes for free, we have no networks and no programmes.

Now, actually I have no problem with that. But do you also propose no more TV?

Well, I can live without it...that is for sure. I'm not a big t.v. watcher anyway so, if the networks are losing funding and go belly up then, so be it.

This whole thing is just disgusting!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by Daedal

So, if I understand this correctly, they are ticked off because the companies that advertise and support the networks aren't able to reach the CONSUMERS through commercials.

If we are not forced to see all of the new trinkets and toys and products that we are supposed to BUY to make us happy and content....the big corporations could potentially be losing profits.

If my assumptions are wrong...someone please enlighten me.

Otherwise, what a crock!

edit on 27-5-2012 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

No they are mad that DISH has a contract with them to show copyrighted material. DISH is then editing that copyrighted material and showing only a portion of it, which is breaking their contract and also a violation of federal copyright laws. It would be like me agreeing to give you something I created for you to display and make money off of, so long as you show some of my other work as well so I make some money ass well, and you taking it and displaying it and never showing any of my other work.

Okay....well, if that's the case then, it changes things a bit.

I'm off to read the supporting links again so, I know what the hell I'm talking about. Thanks for the breakdown of info. though.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

Originally posted by Mogget

Simple, they will start making machines WITHOUT a fast-forward fuction. After a few years all the old machines will be dead and fast-forward will be a thing of the past.

From the looks of things they are already doing just that

Do you lack even basic comprehension skills? Unless you have MR, in which case I apologize, but even most people I have known with MR could understand this better than you.

Hint: Fast forward is not the issue. Editing copyrighted material and illegally changing the agreed upon programming is the issue.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Nr of ways to SKIP/AVOID comersials...

#: Go to the bathroom
#: Get a fresh cup of coffe
#: Take the dogs out
#: Make out with gf/wife
#: Make that phonecall to mom that you missed out yesterday
#: Fix a sandwich

Or the final soulution:
Watch the add and laugh at the company and say,
"How stupid do they think i am, i wont buy that
anyway".....
And then FaceBook about it...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I took the article to mean the big networks want DISH to get rid of the Hopper box that has an automatic skip commercials feature. I didn't read anything about no more fast forwarding, or it being illegal to skip commercials. Unless you have this hopper thing, there's nothing to worry about. It might be illegal to sell advertising space and not deliver it as promised, being shown during the show it was intended to be shown in.

This is an issue with networks battling each other. Sounds like the sponsors paying for advertising said to CBS and others to sort this out or lose their business.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Ad's are so annoying on TV, thats why I watch very little live TV anymore, I just record it on my tivo box to watch later, fast forward through the ad's, excellent stuff.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join