It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Networks Say You're Breaking The Law When You Skip Commercials

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'd like to see them chase this. There is absolutely no law, or precedence, that makes it a crime to skip commercials. Thats along the lines of saying it is illegal to get up and go take a leak during commercial breaks.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Here are some tips to make your ads more enjoyable or take away your mind from the brute force spoon fed propaganda.

1.Look for illuminati/masonic/satanic/whatever symbols
2.Think reverse of what said and suggested on the ads - I do this a lot.
3.Time how long a picture shown - I bet its less than 2 seconds
4.Count how many actors involved
5.Think how the camera angled, positioned, how many takes, movie production stuff etc
6.Play game with your kids/friends/whoever, betting what stupid commercial that will come up next
7.Guess whats on next channel, ads or movie or news etc etc
8.Think how to create the advertised item DIY way.
9.Think how hard to create the graphics yourself in photoshop/flash
10.Count how many ads shown - Cmonnn 1 more commercials, please, I wanna win the bet.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NullVoid

7.Guess whats on next channel, ads or movie or news etc etc

Always go with commercial - the odds are in your favor...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
"we just provide the technology, we don't actually break the law" is the oldest excuse in the book.

Ranks right up there with "it's not the gun that pulls the trigger, it's the owner"

When somebody drives their car into a group of people, do you blame the car? Of course not.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I was just thinking about commercials today. I rarely watch tv, but I watched a tv movie today. Every couple minutes, I had to sit through several commercials. I started muting them and looking away until the movie came back on, because I refused to be subjected to all these advertisements trying to get me to buy things. When I saw that Pepsi commercial with Nicki Minaj trying to make Pepsi look "cool" and fun, it kindof hit that breaking point and I realized I'm never in my life going to pay for tv. I'd rather never watch tv again than pay for a bunch of companies to try to brainwash me into thinking my life depends on having this product or that item.

I will take that back the day that Drinking a can of soda instantaneously fills my surroundings with a mob of people in ecstatic joy at the superstar pop singer throwing a surprise concert just for my own personal amusement.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
ATS basically does the same thing by forbidding ad-blockers on this site.

Think about it.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Why pay $80-120+ a month when you can just pay $25 for internet and watch everything free instantly streaming with commercials edited out.

And wasn't it the cable company's that decided to offer DVR surely they most know that people have been fast forwarding over commercials for years. And even years before that with VHS.

This is just them trying to stop a trend. Unfortunately for them unless they learn how to adapt they will lose out in the long run,

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I don't watch TV, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

What commercials?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

See what I did there? If you have a decent marketing team, people will do you job for you, and if some skip placed programming, they might actually go looking for yours.

Get better at your jobs people!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
how about we just have state monitored TV time, you can choose for me what I watch Big Brother!

that way I know i'm always doing the right thing!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Right, you hit on my line of thought. I'm paying my monthly bill to watch my sat tv, who in turn pays the networks. So how can I or my sat company be breaking the law when we're paying for that station programing?
Another question, how do networks know people are skiping commercials? (actually that does make me really curious, how could they know?)
So, will it also be against the law when I change channels when a commercial comes on?
edit on 26-5-2012 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
how completely idiotic. talk about a complete waste of time. (not your thread just that it's an issue)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
how about we just have state monitored TV time, you can choose for me what I watch Big Brother!

that way I know i'm always doing the right thing!
yes indeed! that would make our lives so much better wouldn't it? big brother makes me feel safe and secure in what i watch!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

People, just go down to your local thrift store and buy a few VCR machines (one to use, a couple for backup). There is nothing like an old VCR to tape a show and skip the commercials. Many machines come with slots for VCR and DVD's.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't remember the last time I've watched, or heard a commercial.

I do not watch them. Ever. I have Ad-block Plus installed and I use it on *everything*.

I am about as ad-free as it can possibly get.

I also enjoy my favorite television and movies without ads, period. I'm not inclined to say how I do, but I do.

And before anyone yells at me for "pirating"(bahahaha) I'd like them to know anyone who makes something worth my money will get it. Specifically why I will be buying the entire collection of the Fringe seasons once it is released.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Another instance of big business trying to force the consumer to conform to they way it always has been, instead of adjusting to needs and the wants of the consumer in the modern day.

If people don't want to sit through commercials when they watch a show, and the technology is there to allow the people to skip unwanted commercials, who are the television companies to say you have to watch them? It is up to the companies to conform to the consumer, not the other way around.

The more they try to force people into the same old tired box, the more people are going to quit watching live television all together. There is already a mass exodus from cable and satellite providers in favor of services like Netflix and Hulu. Not to mention the free services on the internet, and of course piracy.

This is the same issue i have with the music industry and their bogus legal battles, if people don't wanna buy your stuff as it is, then maybe its time to look and what your selling, and how you're selling it and make your product something that people actually want to buy.

Try and stop this river!

DC

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have timed it. On average for every 7 minutes of show there 5 minutes of commercials. That works out to a 60 minute show being 35 minutes of show and 25 minutes of commercials. I did my timinng while watching NCSI on night. Do you one timing test.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

What's the answer? There would be no TV without ads. Yet, the ads started taking up so much time that I stopped watching television three years ago. I want to say to TV stations: Start charging more for ads so they can survive with just showing 3 minutes of commercials per half hour, but I'm sure that would somehow spiral out of control.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm behind the networks on this

simple economics

if they can't charge advertisers for commercials, then we will have to pay per view or some other system

so we'll be footing the bill one way of the other, or getting local access quality programming

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm behind the networks on this

simple economics

if they can't charge advertisers for commercials, then we will have to pay per view or some other system

so we'll be footing the bill one way of the other, or getting local access quality programming

I disagree. I actually applaud the move, because for too long there have been too many channels broadcasting crap. When the owners of these channels admit they have failed, perhaps (hopefully) they'll disapear. Less channels with better content... it's a win win as far as I'm concerned.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join