It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombshell: Half of U.S. Lives in Household Getting Benefits

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

When you're already spending for benefits you directly induced more demand by raising purchasing power.
The higher aggregate demand then creates new job opportunities.
Now you re-train your unemployed work-force to satisfy the higher demand and you get lower unemployment rates and you stimulated growth.
Re-educating isn't the whole trick, but yeah, that's how it should work / how it works here.
edit on 26-5-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Absolutely. Tax that Apple made in China by enslaved children ***t! Make it so expensive to produce overseas that they will have to bring the jobs home to even sell one or two.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Tell you what if people were told they had to pay back every cent of welfare they get a lot less would be using it after all why shouldn't they give someone else the same opportunity that had but alas hell it's "free" and the deserve it so nope not ever going to happen.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well, that's a whole thread full of R v D rhetoric.

I want my five minutes back.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Tell you what if people were told they had to pay back every cent of welfare they get a lot less would be using it after all why shouldn't they give someone else the same opportunity that had but alas hell it's "free" and the deserve it so nope not ever going to happen.

They would need a job to be able to pay it back.

Catch 22 anyone?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Catch 22?

There are more people taking from that than paying in to that because they don't have a job compounded by the US government taking half a dollar from taxation and then borrowing another 40 cents and still coming up short.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by buster2010

Catch 22?

There are more people taking from that than paying in to that because they don't have a job compounded by the US government taking half a dollar from taxation and then borrowing another 40 cents and still coming up short.

Catch 22 means you can't solve one problem without creating another one.

We will never be able to get rid of taxes or welfare. Even if the debt were paid off taxes would still be needed for the government to run things like the military and other branches of the government. And it's the same with welfare there are always going to be people who really need it. Not because they want to but due to an accident or the like they would need it to survive.

Humans are imperfect we will never have a perfect economic or a perfect social system and that's just something we will have to learn to live with whether we like it or not.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
There is no distinction made between "citizens" and "residents."

There is a vast population that comes to the US in order to take advantage of hand outs and the majority have figured out how to game the system..

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Until you remove the criminalization of extreme poverty and/or being self-sufficient, you've got no right to demand that your support of it be eradicated.

Why? Because you've got no right to dictate people's lives in exchange for nothing.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You know that some of these "government benefits" are Social Security checks. Given to people who worked their entire lives and paid into the system. Now, neocons want to strip them of their investment calling it an "entitlement".

The Census data show that 16% of the population lives in a household where at least one member receives Social Security and 15% receive or live with someone who gets Medicare. There is likely a lot of overlap, since Social Security and Medicare tend to go hand in hand, but those percentages also are likely to increase as the Baby Boom generation ages.

You know what? It is an entitlement, one that they earned by paying into a system. They bought it. Do you honestly think that people who worked hard their entire adult lives, paying into this system don't deserve to reap the very benefit they were paying for?

Do you go to a grocery store, and choose items you want to buy, then go pay for those items, then leave them all at the store because you feel that you aren't entitled to take home your purchase?

And please, don't give me the tired pedantic crap that Social Security won't be there when I get to retirement age. The only reason it won't be there is if the far right gets their way and forces all of us to hand over this money to wall street instead of the far safer alternative that is the social security system.

In this last economic crash, how many people lost nearly everything they invested because of wall streets gambling? You loose everything cause the market crashes, and your SOL.

Meanwhile, Social Security is in a Trust Fund, and not the general fund and so it's not able to be spent by the government like so many neocons would have you believe. In 1983 Reagan increased the tax withheld by employers to ensure that Social Security remained solvent into the future.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I used to be proud that I worked hard, pulled my own weight and provided for my family.

I have never received any government assistance so far in my life but now I am tired.

I am tired of working my ass off every week while they take more and more of my check every year for taxes to pay for all of the poor choices government makes running this country.

I am tired of paying other people not to work
I am tired of paying for illegal, senseless and never ending wars
I am tired of paying for idiotic programs
I am tired of my medical insurance cost doubling for the last 2 years
I am tired of driving an old vehicle while the illegal mexicans in my town drive 2012 trucks

I am just tired........

Some days I ust want to quit and live on welfare like the other 1/2 but I was raised different and it goes against all I am so I just keep puttering on.

I honestly don't know how long I can do it. My heart is broken, my drive is diminishing and my will is about broken.

I am tired.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Well, given the percentage of the population who are seniors (probably on medicare / medicaid and old age pension) and children under the age of 18 (parents likely receive child benefit) I actually don't find this report surprising.

It's the same bad reporting as the ridiculous claims that "about half of all Americans pay no income tax at all" which ignores the fact that most of that "half of Americans" are seniors and children.

Very good observation,
the point is all of these
statistics have some
*asterisk******* to it.
Most are just plain bull #.
Simple as that, give out the numbers
they want to get the reaction they want.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I hear you Mwood. For what its worth, you have my respect from one worker to the other.
Some people still have proper working ethics.
edit on 27-5-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
productivity for workers rise, pay for workers stays the same or is lowered by inflation.....tell me, where is the incentive? when working harder means you get to keep your job, instead of a getting a pay raise...where is the incentive? when a company in a "right-to-work" state, can fire you for any reason, pays no benefits, and works you part-time, where is the incentive to do any more than is minimally required?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I know how you feel...

I too am tired

I am tired of working harder and harder, making less and less because business owners are more interested in profit margins than paying employees a living wage.

I am tired of conservatives who embrace wars only when a Republican is in the White House and abandon our troops and abandon that loyalty the second a Democrat takes office.

I am tired of corporations asking for tax cut after tax cut after tax cut, dangling the carrot of job creation and threatening taking away more jobs if they don't get what they want.

I am tired of those same companies getting subsidies, tax write-offs, tax breaks and bailouts, while not spending more to expand their businesses and employ more Americans.

I am tired of the middle class blaming the poor for their financial ills when it's the wealthy who are really to blame.

I am tired of the conservative lie that the poor don't pay taxes.

I am tired as well my friend.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
reply to post by mwood

I hear you Mwood. For what its worth, you have my respect from one worker to the other.

and how does that work when the company that hires you, has no ethics in regards to it's employees?
history from 100 years ago shows the "WHY" unions were formed in the first place. the exploitation of workers for ever increasing profits, got to the point where it became more dangerous to work, than to NOT work.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I would venture to say that 100 percent od households get some sort of benefit from the government. I would point out that when we get a tax deduction that is also a government handout or "discount" on the taxes you owe. A subsidie is a subsidie whether it is a tax discount or foodstamps.

I know that some will disagree but others must pay more to support the tax discount that any person or corporation gets.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

reply to post by mwood

and how does that work when the company that hires you, has no ethics in regards to it's employees?
history from 100 years ago shows the "WHY" unions were formed in the first place. the exploitation of workers for ever increasing profits, got to the point where it became more dangerous to work, than to NOT work.

I think you misunderstood me previously.

I'm all for proper set up trade unions (and social systems), like we have them here.
Unions here work in close partnership with the employer associations and the state, as it's enshrined in our institutionalized settlement of conflicts, outlined in our collective labor law, thus securing good working conditions, good wages and high production quality, benefitting all of us.
Unions work excellent, if you use them right.

That was my point all along. You have to adjust social systems right to make them work. It's all in the details.
The U.S. version seems flawed. No wonder people reject them or feel wronged to pay for a flawed system.

That's also what I meant here:

The funny thing is you're not even getting anything out of your "welfare system".
You're basically throwing money out of the window without getting anything out of it.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I'm tired of the government taking half of my 401k money, when I close out my account, due to mistrust of the banking system....

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Well we should be able to opt out of the system.

If you don't want to pay taxes then that should be ok! but you won't be able to drive on any public road or highway or visit any public hospital.
and your kids won't be able to attend any public school.

Deal?

That way you'll even have more things to boast about! You'll be able to come in here and tell people how you built your own roads and highways and how your kids only attend private schools and how you only visit private hospitals all with your own money!

edit on 5/27/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join