It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Stop a Bully?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
the only way to fight fire is with fire.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by survivaloftheslickest

Guns? Stun guns? Masked vigilantes dragging the bullies out in the middle of the night and beating the crap out of them? I know, I know, how uncivilized, right? Well, you asked.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivaloftheslickest

The question remains: how do you stop a bully?

In grade school, I was a victim of a bully. Then one day, just lunged out, and by total accident, mind you, broke his nose. He bleed, he cried, he never bullied anyone again (and that was his thing, until that fateful day).

I'm not saying that physical violence is the answer..infact, you lower yourself the moment you become anything like them...But I found most bullies in my life, only understand what they're doing, once you make them wear the shoe. Does that make sense?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
For myself as a kid, standing up and fighting back led to one thing only - being hurt harder and with greater consequences. The bullies in my life weren't the kind that you could beat up and make them go away, they tended to be the kind that if you dared stand up it was the excuse needed to escalate violence and social isolation. As I was young and insecure in my own power, it was quite frightening. So, fighting back physically doesn't always work.

A point about violence in school where I live. It is important to note that one kid punching out another kid, however justified they feel due to being bullied, is going to end up with the 'victim' being seen as an aggressor. If the bully plays it right, the victim has a bright shiny new expulsion on their record. There is a very strong anti-bully campaign in the schools here, however, and zero-tolerance from teachers/admin towards bullying behavior. It is a good thing, and nips the bad behaviors in the bud before kids become "permanent victims" that everyone feels okay about picking on. Anti-bullying policies give teachers backing from admin, and both greater power and clear guidelines to follow when they witness bullying.

People struggle with power issues. Bullying is an abusive "power over" move - power over others, usually using weapons of fear, violence, social isolation, emotional or verbal abuse. A bully wants to show you an image of yourself as a weak, worthless victim that deserves to be hurt because you are so obviously not good enough. If you are insecure in yourself (and who isn't at some point?) you can take on that image for yourself, which is one of the most destructive effects of bullying that can last a lifetime; believing the bully. If, on the other hand, the image the bully puts up is false to you and you can act accordingly, then you are not a victim. That is the foundation of "standing up for yourself," and doesn't have to include violence in response to violence. A look at the US civil rights movement (MLK) and Ghandi's non-violent ability to stand up to the forces of Empire provides, I think, an interesting model for the concept of not buying into what the bully wants you to believe, and handling it with the sheer determination of someone who will not be put down.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Lol, really, sometimes i think the US is the only country in the world that have a problem/obsession with bullies, is kind of funny.

"Mommyyyyy, there is a bad kid in the school hitting me".

For god sake grow a pair and i don't know, go to bomb some country or proclaim your moral superiority to all the world, that is what you gringos are supposed to do, not crying because of the evil kids in school.
edit on 26-5-2012 by MonteroReal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Depends if you've got brains or brawn....

I have both

I was always taught a good punch soon shuts em up, but if that's not your style, use your brains, pick up on their insecurities, and a quick silver tounge to hurt them deep inside.

I usually did both used my brains to hurt them then punched them out.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I believe that bully's are the product of sociopaths...either parental,teacher,or just home grown peer bullying.Don't forget about the genetics too.My relieve from a bully was to box his ears off

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivaloftheslickest
Hello ATS,

There is an increase in bullying behavior, it would seem. Part of the problem undoubtedly stems from difficult times around us, but bullying was always there.

We seem to focus a lot on individual cases, etc., as there are many dimensions to this: be it child, or an adult, the same phenomenon under different names.

Detecting a bully is rather easy, if not patently obvious. Some would claim they are psychopaths, some would say they are lost souls, some would claim that bullies are victims themselves.

The question remains: how do you stop a bully?

What do you think?

Cheers!

Bullies are bitter and abused with a low opinion of themselves. They beat on people because people are worth nothing to them as they are worth nothing to themselves.

Only a higher up can intervene and stop a bully. This however will often infuriate the bully more. People who say they'll beat the bully up (lol)....It's not really a bully then, that is a peer, since a bully picks on someone he knows he can overpower.

You stop creating bullies by teaching other ways to raise children than beating and humiliating them. This creates bullies. Bullying children makes bullies out of your children.
edit on 26-5-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Bullying is obviously not a problem. Well I can only assume it isn't since all these enlightened tough guys on here claim to have stood up to a bully and knocked him out when they were young. Yeah, back in the day I was the coolest guy in school, dated all the hot chicks, beat up the school bully. That's how you all sound. Either A: you were the bully and the bully you beat up was actually a kid you were bullying. or B: you are telling tall tales to impress all the other tough guys on here who also all claim to have beat up the school bully. Look into your heart, did you really beat up an actual bully? Really?, poor downtrodden you, you just had a bada$$ moment and saved the day? Stop lying, you're not helping someone who's trying to get some viable advice from this thread.
edit on 27-5-2012 by hammanderr because: grammar

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
its the same as anything, its always better to have a deeper understanding of what you are really dealing with. Thats what gives me strength, the strength to put that fire out. here is a link to the focus that I find useful, no matter the age group or the scenario.
www.scribd.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.scribd.com...
edit on 27-5-2012 by ancientthunder because: bad link

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
I was always taught a good punch soon shuts em up,

This.

There is no faster way to stop a bully. Knock them on their butt once and they will never bother you again.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
How Do You Stop a Bully?

Kick 'em in the grapes.

Done.

Peace

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
How do you stop a bully?

Like this...

LMAO!! Love it!!

edit on 27-5-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
bullying isn't going up, the amount of pampered, borderline wussy kids attending school is going up.

I was bullied till my dad said sock him in the nuts and when hes on the ground give him a black eye. never had any problems after that. this was after school, when he was following me home.

typically the kids who get hugs and kisses etc from mommy and daddy when they fall down and get a boo boo are gonna have it rough in their later years.

stand up to a bully and you wont have problems, its that simple really. where do you think the expression man up came from.
edit on 27-5-2012 by LoonyConservative because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by hammanderr
Bullying is obviously not a problem. .......... Stop lying, you're not helping someone who's trying to get some viable advice from this thread.
edit on 27-5-2012 by hammanderr because: grammar

hmm you must have been popular and therefore never had this problem.. and yet your chiming in. would your advice be then for everyone to try their hardest to not be bullied by becoming handsome/pretty and popular?

Bullies pick on those they perceive as weaker, either to make themselves feel better, or for personal gain of some sort. if you step up and show you aren't weak.. you wont be a target anymore.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Depends whether we,re talking about childen or adults. Generally, it is very difficult, but, go out of your way to avoid bullies. ( And that,s nothing to do with weakness.) Fighting back could go wrong. Such people are to be pitied for they have a poor quality of life. Bullying is the tip of their miserable psyche, they,ll doubtless have other problems, too..
Eventually, they will cross paths with someone else who will deal with them, one way or another. I,m happy to leave it at that.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Stop a Bully eh? Easy...convey the idea into their mind that you are more DEDICATED toward any action or outcome.

People who are Bully's in General are compensating for something in their lives. I rarely have Bully problems because of my stature being 6 ft. I in. and being muscular will help a person who is a Bully mess with you...but on occasion...I will run into a person who outweighs me by 80 lbs and they act irrational.

The ability to stand ones ground and look at them in a way that allows them to see that you are accessing the situation. By all means...do not respond to their ranting or raving. Keeping them guessing about what you are going to do usually is enough to have them walk away.

If they don't walk away...then a few well chosen words may work....such as...You REALLY want to go through this? Or...if it is you with the problem...here I am...throw the first punch. A Bully usually is counting on you to do one of a few things...either walk away so they can throw insults at you....this is sometimes a good thing to do unless they follow. Goad you into starting the fight by either throwing a punch or using their finger to stick it into your chest. If that happens and you know Martial Arts...you can easily put them down. If you are out of their physical class then say...and dial the Police.

But remember...there is something wrong with this person mentally. Be on Guard. Split Infinity

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
it was probably part of the lesh tongues.

or ladders

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Hmmm ! I,m six foot two, or thereabouts, and fit, but would still advocate avoiding bullies The trouble with responding to bullies in kind is the possibility of escalation. You might get a bully to back down by confronting them with some violence of your own, and they may come back later " tooled up " or with friends, and catch you unawares, and give you a jolly good seeing to. Or, if you are lucky enough to deter them with violence of your own, find yourself in court / prison. Either way , you may end up losing....walk away.....Not easy when roused, but the best option....

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
To stop a bully? By doing the same thing the Hulk does to Loki
in "The Avengers", bullies will always continue their behavior until someone
kicks them in the goolies.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join