It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have freedom FROM religion?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

So am I understaing this correctly pointing out the "fact" of simularites in speach is a bad thing?Why is that it?She openly states that christanity is "better"then islam.Showing how her speach could be considered by some raceist makes me the bad guy?Again you prove the point that religon makes good people say and do evil things...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoGod
reply to post by LeSigh

So am I understaing this correctly pointing out the "fact" of simularites in speach is a bad thing?Why is that it?She openly states that christanity is "better"then islam.Showing how her speach could be considered by some raceist makes me the bad guy?Again you prove the point that religon makes good people say and do evil things...

To the contrary, I've been pointing out, until just the last few posts, that all religions deserve the same respect. I brought up the things I did in the past few posts to get it through to some who were uber-christian that even though it favors christianity now, it may not in the future.
I'm actually one of the very tolerant few as far as other religions go and defend other religions very often. YOU did not comprehend what you were reading, didn't bother checking earlier posts and jumped to a conclusion, then attacked based on your false conclusion.
You may apologize now as well as explain who this "she" is that you keep referring to.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The more perplexing question is: Why do Human beings feel compelled to publicly air and often argue about their religious beliefs? That's kinda like going out into public, proudly professing what it is that you do for a living, then proceeding to criticize and judge anyone who has any other job or happens to make less money than you. Here's the scene:

Wearing your tailor-made suit, sporting a precision-cut hair and goatee, carrying your fine leather briefcase attache, you gloriously enter a very crowded DMV. While standing in line you notice the strong smell of motor oil. You see that the man in front of you is wearing light blue greasy cover-alls with a name patch that reads "Joseph" on the front near his chest. Feeling sympathetic, you decide to enlighten your dirty DMV compadre.

"Hey, Joe. Has anyone ever told you that you totally chose the wrong profession?."

Joseph says, "WTF are you talking about? Do i know you?"

You quickly respond with, "You do know that it's not too late to go back to college? Right, Joe?"

Confused he says, "Just leave me alone, pal."

Realizing that this ungrateful filthy man is just too far gone to be helped and you have charity work to do at the Boys Club in 20 minutes, you decide to leave. As your walking out the door, the dirty man yells out, "Hey, wait. How do you know?"

You yell back with, "A book... i read it in a book." And you continue out the door.

THE END

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

I also happen to notice these types of threads are always anti-Christian, why is that? There is another religion a great deal more dangerous then Christianity these days.
edit on 27-5-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Is it correct to assume that you don't live in the US of A?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

reply to post by LeSigh

To the contrary, I've been pointing out, until just the last few posts, that all religions deserve the same respect. I brought up the things I did in the past few posts to get it through to some who were uber-christian that even though it favors christianity now, it may not in the future.
I'm actually one of the very tolerant few as far as other religions go and defend other religions very often. YOU did not comprehend what you were reading, didn't bother checking earlier posts and jumped to a conclusion, then attacked based on your false conclusion.
You may apologize now as well as explain who this "she" is that you keep referring to.

Well there are many things I have to say so ill make it short"I apolagize"If i took your post out of contant,As well as assumed you are a she i look at the name,the picture,So naturaly I thought you where a she again for that I apolagize.And theres where the dishing out of the "feel goods"stop I strongly disagree that religon is worth defending it does more harm then good imo.The mear fact that anyone can defend anything they can not prove scares me and makes me think twice about defending it.then there comes the fact that all religons at the end of the day are a buissness,or the fact that most religons mutalate a childs genatalia,or worse rape them.the murder of women and scienctist you can keep defending the religon ill be watching good luck champ

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

reply to post by LeSigh

Well there are many things I have to say so ill make it short"I apolagize"If i took your post out of contant,As well as assumed you are a she i look at the name,the picture,So naturaly I thought you where a she again for that I apolagize.And theres where the dishing out of the "feel goods"stop I strongly disagree that religon is worth defending it does more harm then good imo.The mear fact that anyone can defend anything they can not prove scares me and makes me think twice about defending it.then there comes the fact that all religons at the end of the day are a buissness,or the fact that most religons mutalate a childs genatalia,or worse rape them.the murder of women and scienctist you can keep defending the religon ill be watching good luck champ

Apology accepted. As far as the rest, I would encourage you to look at other posts I have made instead of lumping me into a category. Not only have I defended other religions, I have defended athiests as well and the lack of any religion at all. I'm not the one your anger should be directed at, I am the one you want to have on your side if this is the way you feel about things.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FaceLikeTheSun
reply to post by Firewater

I find your monologue full of logical holes. On one hand you are saying, "why can't you practice your religion alone? why push it on other people?" But the irony is that by stating that, you are essentially pushing your own ideology on those who practice any particular religion. In other words, "keep it to yourself" is just as intolerant as you accuse the religious zealots to be.

In particular with Christianity, since I am a Christian if you label me as such, is that part of living out the faith is to spread the news about Jesus and what He means to humanity. Someone who doesn't speak to others about their convictions about Jesus would not be Christian. I can get into this more if you'd like.

Secondly, I find it interesting that people still complain about religion. The very people who run the world, the Illuminati, came out of the enlightenment period as the group to ruin the religious stronghold on society and culture. In other words, many of you who complain about religious oppression would love to join the Illuminati. And in place of the outward oppression of the historical religious institution (which I am not in agreement with both spiritually, or politically) a secret movement has been instituted where the truth about how things are run are hidden.

So in essence, "keeping it to yourself" is what groups like the Illuminati did, but using their influence behind the scenes, we find ourselves in the situation we are in now. Interesting.

No. Irregardless of what you believe. Whether you push it on other people or you keep it within. People are gonna do what they do. I just don't get the whole purpose of externalizing it and the tendency to feel obligated to choose a religion with set rules. That only creates a closing of the mind, making you much less receptive to any other possibility. Because, unless youve completely lost touch with reality, one thing i know for certain is that none of us can say for sure what the future brings or what happens after death.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I find your monologue full of logical holes. On one hand you are saying, "why can't you practice your religion alone? why push it on other people?" But the irony is that by stating that, you are essentially pushing your own ideology on those who practice any particular religion. In other words, "keep it to yourself" is just as intolerant as you accuse the religious zealots to be.

In particular with Christianity, since I am a Christian if you label me as such, is that part of living out the faith is to spread the news about Jesus and what He means to humanity. Someone who doesn't speak to others about their convictions about Jesus would not be Christian. I can get into this more if you'd like.

Secondly, I find it interesting that people still complain about religion. The very people who run the world, the Illuminati, came out of the enlightenment period as the group to ruin the religious stronghold on society and culture. In other words, many of you who complain about religious oppression would love to join the Illuminati. And in place of the outward oppression of the historical religious institution (which I am not in agreement with both spiritually, or politically) a secret movement has been instituted where the truth about how things are run are hidden.

So in essence, "keeping it to yourself" is what groups like the Illuminati did, but using their influence behind the scenes, we find ourselves in the situation we are in now. Interesting.

And i am not saying "keep it to yourself". Thats your choice. I am only trying to understand the thought process in not "keeping it to yourself". Thats all.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

If you found a guy standing on the street corner giving away $100 bills, would you not tell those you care the most about so they could share in the bounty? It happens to me all the time... if I see a sale going on in town, I let my daughter and my mother know. If I see a wreck that has closed a road, I let them know that too. I try to help them.

It is human nature, when one feels content and happy, to want to spread some of that contentment and happiness, if only to those they care the most about.

While I expect no one to believe this, there are good things about the Christian religion. For me to not tell others about what I consider a good thing would be evil and hateful.

That is one thing that has always confused me: why do people become offended when someone is obviously trying (albeit sometimes poorly) to do good for them? Perhaps that is human nature as well; I have heard of people who become offended by anyone wishing them a good day.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

If you found a guy standing on the street corner giving away $100 bills, would you not tell those you care the most about so they could share in the bounty? It happens to me all the time... if I see a sale going on in town, I let my daughter and my mother know. If I see a wreck that has closed a road, I let them know that too. I try to help them.

It is human nature, when one feels content and happy, to want to spread some of that contentment and happiness, if only to those they care the most about.
\
You feel happy and content when ou see a wreck??

Shame on you!

...couldn't help it, that's what people have been doing to me all weekend and I didn't want you to feel left out

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I do when I'm not in it and not in traffic behind it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

the argument is not pro-religion

it is pro-God

objective moral values that are independent and binding to culture, society, etc.

If morals in general were just a product of cultures or society, then what if one nation said stealing was ok and another nation said it wasn't. Whose right? Neither are. And therefore being right or wrong become irrelevant.

I'm confused. I thought this was about freedom FROM religion?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firewater

Originally posted by MidnightTide

I also happen to notice these types of threads are always anti-Christian, why is that? There is another religion a great deal more dangerous then Christianity these days.
edit on 27-5-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Is it correct to assume that you don't live in the US of A?

So what is your point?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

the argument is not pro-religion

it is pro-God

objective moral values that are independent and binding to culture, society, etc.

If morals in general were just a product of cultures or society, then what if one nation said stealing was ok and another nation said it wasn't. Whose right? Neither are. And therefore being right or wrong become irrelevant.

I'm confused. I thought this was about freedom FROM religion?

It is, but alas, it is the weekend, so we're not allowed to discuss things, only shout and argue at one another

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

But what if somebody was hurt

Shame, shame, shame

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I would encourage you to look at other posts I have made instead of lumping me into a category.

Oh, I've lumped you into a category all right. And that category is: DELICIOUS!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I would encourage you to look at other posts I have made instead of lumping me into a category.

Oh, I've lumped you into a category all right. And that category is: DELICIOUS!

AAACCCCKKKKKKK! Step away frum da nuggetz!!!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Thats the key to the power of Christianity. All Christians, are in essence, recruiters. And the world is full of people feeling a desperate need to have something to believe in. With Christian recruiters living next door and a church on the next block, of course they're gonna listen. Its basically a religious monopoly. As soon as you get there attention, let the brainwashing commence. I've seen it happen many times. And thats fine n dandy. This process has helped and saved the lives of many people. But not because of the specific beliefs of Christianity. Its the structure and a sense of belonging that saves them. Many other religions would have provided them the same structure. So why prey on the on the susceptible? Let them seek you out. Other religions dont have a chance to get their word out. If they did, there would be far fewer Christians and much more truth to the term "Freedom of Religion".

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yep, my bad. I hit post before rereading it.
You know how sometimes you type something that makes sense to you as you type it, then realize it can be taken different ways when someone else points it out.
Of course, I wasn't even clued in on this until it was past post edit for clarification...(makes sense why people thought I was being a bit insane).

When I said public, I was meaning official public places, like statues of the 10 commandments on display at courthouses...not some preacher on the side of a road.

Had I known this thread would become so hyped up, I would have no doubt spent far more time making sure every word was calculated so there is no doubt as to what I was saying.

Anyhow, ya...I take responsibility for the miscommunication that is this thread in its entirety and will use it as a lesson for future posts on how I need to reread before posting in order to clearly state my point...else ya, people will (rightfully) get the wrong impression on the stance in general.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

brings back a tramatic experience frum mah chitenhood

My aunt had a serious tanning bed accident

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join