It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have freedom FROM religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So, here is a question I have then...I have freedom of religion in the United States...I can choose whatever I want, be it christianity, buddism, spaghetti'ism, etc.

But, do I have freedom from religion? Can I go to public places and not have my children or I indoctrinated into any form?

If yes, then why are some wanting to have teacher lead prayers back in school, under god in the pledge, or in god we trust stamped on the money? This is not freedom from religion..so, how is it constitutionally applicable. If paganism become mainstream again, do we then change the money to "In the gods we trust"? change the pledge to "Under The Gods"?

If no, then which religion specifically is the state sponsored religion (some constitutional references showing the imposition of religion on the citizens would be helpful for my understanding. My creator (aka, my mother) taught me that its good to get source material in order to back up a claim.

So, your thoughts...do we have freedom from religion?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The state sponsored religion is Astrotheolgy.

You can worship the state religion or anything you want, thus you have your freedom of religion.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
You're in luck!

Freedom From Religion Foundation:

ffrf.org...

Also, ETA: pretty good article from last month on the topic from Slate:

Freedom of religion is freedom from religion

www.salon.com...
edit on 26-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Apperntly not. There's not a single school in my area that's not religious. I went to a Church of England school, the rest of my family went to Roman catholic schools. My mom was to lazy to walk me the extra ten minutes to that one, I'm glad tho! Lol....

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

If yes, then why are some wanting to have teacher lead prayers back in school, under god in the pledge, or in god we trust stamped on the money?

Recruitment. Religions need a constant influx of young members to keep the cash rolling in. If the youth become secular, organized religions face bankruptcy in the future as it's members die off from old age.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

do we have freedom from religion?

No, as freedom from the dogmas of other people’s religious beliefs continues to shadow every attempt to segregate it from policy and legislation.

A fair generalization of the current situation is that you indeed are not required to participate in prayer, but if you choose that path prepare for everything from character labeling to direct physical attacks.

The only thing we can really do is to participate in turning all the major religions of the world against one another and wait it out. And once a victor emerges, attack it on all fronts as it attempts to recoup from the previous campaign, finally squashing the false ideology...

I'm serious...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

If yes, then why are some wanting to have teacher lead prayers back in school, under god in the pledge, or in god we trust stamped on the money?

Recruitment. Religions need a constant influx of young members to keep the cash rolling in. If the youth become secular, organized religions face bankruptcy in the future as it's members die off from old age.

What amuses me is people talking about how atheists are ruining europe and turning it into an islamic nation...

Yes, the people whom want religion out are...bringing religion in.

The complaint is, from what I understand...they want religion pushed on the public...but, will promptly freak out if its not their religion.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Nothing about freedom from religion in the articles of the comstitution or the bill of rights so the simple answer is no. You don't. But you do have freedom of religion. So you can be an atheist if you chose.

Gotcha hold up in lil crossfire there huh Saturn ?
edit on 26-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

1). You have freedom from religion in the sense you are allowed to not be religious.

2). You have freedom from religion in the sense the government is not allowed to make laws forcing to you follow or endorse any religion.

3). You do NOT have freedom from religion in the sense you are entitled to never be exposed to anything pertaining to religion ever again.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Nothing about freedom from religion in the articles ofd the comstitution or the bill of rights so the simple answer is no. You don't. But you do have freedom of religion. So you can be an atheist if you chose.

Gotcha hold up in lil crossfire there huh Saturn ?
edit on 26-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Then there should be a (s) on the end of the word god in the pledge, money, etc...and a questionmark after that
so, it should (for fairness) look like this on our money:

in god(s)? we trust.
and
one nation, under god(s)?, indivisible, with liberty...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

1). You have freedom from religion in the sense you are allowed to not be religious.

2). You have freedom from religion in the sense the government is not allowed to make laws forcing to you follow or endorse any religion.

3). You do NOT have freedom from religion in the sense you are entitled to never be exposed to anything pertaining to religion ever again.

Not saying no exposure...saying to state sanctioned exposure.
I don't mind people praying on the streets...churches..privately paid for advertisments marketing a church or a message.
My only issue is the mixing of political offices with religion...be it someone swearing on a bible, money stampage, movements to have teacher lead prayer in class, etc...aka, public workers with an instruction to indoctrinate.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
So, here is a question I have then...I have freedom of religion in the United States...I can choose whatever I want, be it christianity, buddism, spaghetti'ism, etc.

But, do I have freedom from religion? Can I go to public places and not have my children or I indoctrinated into any form?
So, your thoughts...do we have freedom from religion?

Good question. We have the right (and ability) to block television stations that we consider inappropriate for kids. But, how do we protect our children from being exposed to the brainwashing effects of religion? Churches and temples are everywhere; unlike the sexually-oriented businesses that at least have the decency to hide in the seamier sides of the city.

Religious holidays are unavoidable.

How many times in life have we heard, 'God Bless You', after a sneeze?

Even our money (U.S.) declares that 'In God We Trust'.

There are many atheists that consider religion to be an insult to the intelligence of mankind. Don't they have a right to live utterly free from such mindless beliefs?

Can someone walk into a children's school and yell out every obscene word known to man? I don't think so. This foulmouthed someone would definitely be arrested. So, why is it okay to expose young, impressionable minds to the falsities of a god without looking at some kind of criminal process?
edit on 5/26/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

The only thing we can really do is to participate in turning all the major religions of the world against one another and wait it out. And once a victor emerges, attack it on all fronts as it attempts to recoup from the previous campaign, finally squashing the false ideology...

So you just want to attack me Face ? Is that why you want to have a beer with me ? Try'in to set me up huh?
Pretty crafty.

I'm not serious.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The USA has to print "In God We Trust" on their money. It's certainly no longer backed by Gold.

US currency holds it's value simply because of the BELIEF that it's a strong currency, there is absolutely nothing to back this belief system up.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
The USA has to print "In God We Trust" on their money. It's certainly no longer backed by Gold.

US currency holds it's value simply because of the BELIEF that it's a strong currency, there is absolutely nothing to back this belief system up.

I think thats perhaps the most reasonable argument for leaving it on the money actually.

Our money is like god...don't look at facts, ignore the theory of evolutionary debt, just believe in it to solve all your problems

Actually, I think I may remove my argument for it being removed now that I see it that way.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

So you just want to attack me Face ? Is that why you want to have a beer with me ? Try'in to set me up huh?

How did you know..?! As a matter of fact, I just tried out my new 'concoction' on this whiskey drinking squirrel...

Now, I just need to find one that drinks beer, and then my plan can go forward..!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Religion is a set of beliefs.
You either choose Christ, or another 'god' will be given to you.
Meaning: don't for a second think that somebody hasn't moulded your beliefs already. You will either be aware of it, or oblivious. In this case, you appear to not realise that you are running from the only One who Saves.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time." 1 Timothy 2:5-6

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
Religion is a set of beliefs.
You either choose Christ, or another 'god' will be given to you.
Meaning: don't for a second think that somebody hasn't moulded your beliefs already. You will either be aware of it, or oblivious. In this case, you appear to not realise that you are running from the only One who Saves.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time." 1 Timothy 2:5-6

Not following.
I want the government to give me no god. If I want one, I will follow one...otherwise, I won't. But why does the government feel the need to institute statements that are not correct for their people
Such as, In God we trust.
Many don't trust in a god.
Most do mind you, but many don't.
They trust instead in personal responsibility.
Even God believers also accept personal responsibility for at least parts of their life.

So, wouldn't it be better than for the government to push the "personal responsibility" that encompasses at least some aspects of all citizens, verses the god thing which diminishes a number of people (be it those whom trust in several gods, or none).

Would also pave the way for a movement of responsibility verses denial of responsibility (god/devil made me do it).

And, on a personal note...you are of the religious type...do you personally believe your religion needs state sponsorship in order to be popular? If no, then are you insulted that thats the ultimate message being placed in the US, and if yes, then why won't the message itself ring true to enough people?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

If you want to see nothing at all that has anything to do with religion, move to atheist paradises such as North Korea. Many parts of Russia are still atheist-zones after the Soviets destroyed churches.

A school option would be to have those who wish to start the day with a prayer have a specially designated room for it. Banning prayer at school is one of the main reasons in decline of school performance in the U.S.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by randyvs

How did you know..?! As a matter of fact, I just tried out my new 'concoction' on this whiskey drinking squirrel...

Now, I just need to find one that drinks beer, and then my plan can go forward..!

I see you must have quite an array of intelligence and black ops going for you. The only thing missing is that exact same bottle that did this to me. ( Points index finger to eye and then points at Face )

Taking out the easy targets first huh?
Very crafty indeed.

'

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join