It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Black Rite - Hearthstone of War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Egypt's most mysterious rite is attempedly explained by author Dan Green who evidences some very unexpected connexions to sex, war and the mechanism of the Unconscious Mind;

www.blog.world-mysteries.com...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by etidorpha

great post if for nothing else than teaching me the meaning of some everyday words and their origins

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
...the interesting fact being that not only have many words lost their origins but we discover that we never even knew some of them! There is Dan Green's argument also that there is the Lost Mother Tongue that he has written about previously and elsewhere that connects all languages and therefore words and meanings.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
That was, um, interesting.
Almost painful to read at times, but interesting nonetheless.

Personally I think many of his "connections" were a bit of a stretch. Kinda like finding prophecy coded in Moby Dick.
I know the medical theater was called such because operations were at one time performed in front of a large audience in a theater-like setting. This was done for observational and educational purposes, but also for the purpose of legitimacy. Back then, carving up a dead body or whittling away at an unconcious one behind closed doors, would be percieved by the public as macabre necrotic perversions. Thus, working where everyone could see made it easier to legitimize medical discoveries.

I know someone who is an anesthesiologist, I can pick their brain later on today to see what they have to say about "where we go" under anesthesia, and how they would describe the physiological mechanics of trancending from concious to unconcious.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
...that would be brilliant if you could ask your friend where we go...if anywhere! Please get back to us on that one.

Yes, I agree it was a bit of a hard read, but I guess ometimes they have to be if that's the way it is.

Let's remember that we are 90% unconscious as we live our lives out from day one. Question to ask is why should it have to be that way?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by etidorpha

okay, I've noted snippets of the article you linked as external text, then posted the anesthesiologist's response below them.

Staying with the darker side of life, It’s not a subject often dwelt upon but one of life’s truest mysteries is that we have no idea why anaesthetics work,

Don’t know exact mechanism but have hypothesis
Propophol works on the Gaba receptors in the brain. Gaba are the inhibitory receptors, it prevents transmission of other neurotransmitters: memory/cognition/pain.
The volatile, or the inhaled ones, such as halothane/isoflourine/cevoflourine/desflourine (no idea how to spell those), are used to keep you asleep. These work on different receptors in the brain.

writing throughout recorded history show how attempts to produce states of general anesthesia were sought by the ancient Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Egyptians, Greek, Romans, Indians, and Chinese. For anybody who has experienced it, after you accept the inoculation in the arm or hand and are asked to count down from five you never reach the final count because – Bang ! – you’ve sank into the vast blackness, a genuine occult experience, and return in the same timeless moment with no dreams and no recollection of the voyage.

The shot is propophol, which occupies the Gaba receptors and basically shuts the brain down. Once the propophol starts to work, then the intubation is performed so the gas can be administered. This in addition to paralytic meds that are administered to keep the patient immobile. The paralytics have nothing to do with conciousness.

It is thought that how general anaesthetics work has something to do with the cell membrane of a nerve cell and yet realistically it is a subject that nobody can comment on.

Cell membranes are where the Gaba receptors are located. By using anesthetics, which bind those membrane receptors, the result is the prevention of transmission of normal impulses.

That there is no dreaming is significant as in the animist paradigm of the ancient beliefs of the Aborigine…, If we do dream whilst under anaesthetic we certainly have no recall… ….., we know that anaesthetic ‘freezes’ the nerves around specific parts of the body.

There is no dreaming because the EEG, which is used to monitor brain function while under anesthesia, records no brain activity that is indicative of stage 3 or 4 REM, or dream-wave patterns. There is brain activity but no “dream state” activity. It shows only state 1 and 2 REM where no dream activity is normally said to take place and the body is in a state of self-induced paralysis.

My comments:
Personally, I think there is capability to dream in REM 1 & 2, because I've done it and remembered what I was dreaming about. I think this is also where lucid dreaming takes place, which is something I also do myself.
The anesthesiologist said he has never experienced someone reporting dream activity or memory of what occured while under anesthesia.....except for one individual who's propophol wore off before the gas was turned on.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Sorry if I'm being a Debbie Downer and taking the mystery out of it

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I don't think you are, actually! The comments are very welcome esp confirmation that nobody recalls dreaming, if indeed they do, under anaesthetic.. I recall once when I was five years old and had six teeth extracted whilst under anaesthetic which was gas at the time. I DO recall, whilst 'out' seeing a blue elliptical 'ring' which was hurtling around in a cyclic fashion. Every now and then it would stop at a point for a brief second and then continue. I now believe that each time it stopped a tooth was being extracted. Strange experience which I can still recall quite vivid now. It wasn't a dream,something more of an astral reality perhaps.

top topics

join