It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Hair Growth Drug Propecia Chemically Castrates Users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Came across this video and article talking about the hair growth drug Propecia used to treat male pattern baldness having negative side effects.

If what previous/current users of propecia are reporting is to be believed,then the information needs be to known & spread for anyone unaware of the dangers who may be considering or currently using propecia ( Finasteride ).

This is the first time I have even heard of propecia including the bad side effects it may cause,If anyone has any information to corroborate or dispute these supposed ill effects or anything to add,please feel free to post.

Source

One victim who says the drug ruined his life is 30 year-old Las Vegas resident Kevin Malley who is currently conducting a multi-day hunger strike outside of Merck’s corporate headquarters in Whitehouse, N.J.

[Snip]

Last year, researchers from the George Washington University and Boston University medical schools published separate studies in the Journal of Sexual Medicine that reported Propecia’s persistent side effects. Those side effects include erectile dysfunction, impotence, greatly reduced libido, testicular pain, problems with orgasms, and gynecomastia – an over-development of the male breast.

GWU School of Medicine Professor Michael S. Irwig, M.D., had 71 research participants in his study and reported that 94 percent developed low libido, 92 percent developed erectile dysfunction and decreased arousal, and 69 percent developed problems with orgasm.

Among those other persistent side effects that have gone unlisted in Merck's Propecia labeling, an American doctor wrote in a related correspondence, are "reduced exercise tolerance, weight gain with increased fat deposition and muscle and joint aches."

Source

Here is the video:

( The first 3 minutes or so,the rest tends to stray off into her personal observation of relationships,attraction etc. entertaining commentary but not necessarily relevant.I will add,if you are patient enough to listen to the entire video she makes some really good points,I really enjoyed what she had to say
)

All I can add is if anyone has experienced the side effects alluded to in the video/article,I am sincerely sorry you have had to go through such a self esteem destroying,embarrassing ordeal.

Some of the reported effects go way beyond what would be considered superficial and may have a long lasting,possibly permanent detrimental effect on ones physiology.

Dr. Irwig explains that “finasteride is different because it can actually change the brain’s chemistry. The enzyme 5 alpha reductase is present in many areas of the brain. It is rare for a drug to have the capability to persistently change the brain's chemistry.”

Source

Or in some cases lead to even worse as seen with Randy Santmann,a 22 year old man who committed suicide after the controversial hair-loss drug Propecia rendered him permanently impotent. Say what you will about the stupid and selfish act of suicide,the point still remains that drugs like propecia are potentially destroying peoples lives! This needs to be stopped.

Individuals like Malley should be applauded for their efforts.

Malley, a former public-health researcher from Las Vegas who flew to New Jersey from his hometown on May 10, ceased eating on May 13 and plans to continue fasting while camped across from One Merck Drive.

That, in protest of the company's failure to acknowledge the drug's role in causing a battery of persistent side effects, including erectile dysfunction. Like Santmann, Malley, 30, was left impotent by Propecia — and remains so eight months after quitting the drug. He has also suffered severe memory loss and disorientation, which made it nearly impossible to concentrate on his work, which in turn forced him to resign from his position at a Nevada university.

Parents of Propecia suicide victim join in Kevin Malley's Merck protest

Additional Links -
- Kevin Malley’s hunger-strike at Merck highlights Propecia’s devastating effects
- Permanent Finasteride side effects - the unwritten dangers of this drug
- PROPECIAHELP: Persistent Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects

ETA: Found some more links -
- Doctors link hair growth drug to sexual dysfunction, depression and cancer
- Urgency increases for FDA to provide guidance on Propecia's safety
- Study Finds Links Finasteride to Penis Shrinkage in Rats
edit on 26-5-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Does anyone bother to read the package inserts or pharmacy printouts of side effects that accompany their medications? Because reduced libido, erectile dysfunction and and decreased ejaculation are the common side effect of this medication. Seriously, is anyone willing to take responsibility for weighting the pros and cons of medications before they take them? Research this stuff and take responsibility!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
Does anyone bother to read the package inserts or pharmacy printouts of side effects that accompany their medications? Because reduced libido, erectile dysfunction and and decreased ejaculation are the common side effect of this medication. Seriously, is anyone willing to take responsibility for weighting the pros and cons of medications before they take them? Research this stuff and take responsibility!

But the major question is why would this stuff be even allowed on the store shelves? After all, about everything sold under the "medication" banner these days has a list of counter-indications. As a result, we don't tend to take any of those too seriously. After all, we say, "How bad can it be if the FDA allows it to be sold?"

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying

While you do bring up a valid argument,I believe you may have missed the point entirely. These are not mild and temporary side effects we are talking about. Did you not read the entire thread,watch the video or follow up on any of the links that I provided?

Here you go,this is the main problem and to address what you have posted -

In 2009, the Swedish Medical Products Agency concluded that Propecia could lead to permanent erectile dysfunction. Merck then changed the product label in other European countries to include a warning of permanent erectile dysfunction as an adverse reaction. In the United Kingdom, Merck included the following warning: “In addition, the following have been reported in post-marketing use; persistence of erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of treatment with Propecia; male breast cancer.”

In Italy, Merck revised the label in March 2010 to include a warning of persistent erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of treatment.

Yet in this country, the FDA has not issued any warning or alert regarding the persistence of severe male sexual dysfunction after discontinuation of Propecia’s use. The agency's inaction comes despite two separate studies published last year in The Journal of Sexual Medicine by researchers from the George Washington University and Boston University schools of medicine that reported Propecia's side effects caused persistant and permanent male sexual dysfunction.
Source
( Pointing ou that the FDA did not issue warnings in America about the potential side effects of persistent,possibly permanent negative side effects of propecia! )

Another issue is exactly what Aliensun pointed out, should these kinds of drugs even be on the market?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
No I didn't read the entire post you made. The only point I wish to stress is that not enough people take the time to research what they are being prescribed and make an informed decision for themselves. The information is available if you dig for it. We all owe this to ourselves and our families. Although I know that the information provided in the medication leaflets and pharm printouts are all pretty accurate but probably not thorough enough (IMO....drug management and symptom management are a part of nursing), not all adverse and rare side effects are listed. So many medications are toxic and the therapeutic window of helpfulness vs hurtfulness is very narrow and strict adherence to dosing is imperative. That is why researching this stuff is important. Diet, other prescribing and otc meds, culture, age....these are ALL factors in how well a medication works for you or against you. Not every person taking part in a drug trial will represent how well this stuff works for all of the population, based on all of these factors, that comes from trial and error with the drug already on the market, and people blogging and doctors speaking up, which is what you are posting. My point is that if you read the accompanying drug information and see the adverse effects of the med and that raises a red flag for you, look further into it.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Reading the thread tends to help.....

I understand and agree with what you are saying but That still does not excuse the situations where the negative side effects are not listed - in some cases fatal or causing permanent damage etc.

It does not excuse that these drugs should even be allowed on the market to begin with,you are going to tell me they did not perform any of these tests that would of shown such adverse effects? M.G. Zhang & Dr. Michael Irwig certainly were able to- Study they probably failed to do the proper testing or they did and still passed it for the almighty dollar. only taking responsibility or notice once enough people experienced issues and complained.

That's the main problem. Not people researching the products but the companies and the FDA allowing them to even see the light of day. ( I do agree people should not so easily assume or be naive ) it is the responsibility of outfits like the FDA to make sure incidents like this do not happen. that is what they are there for.

There is no excuse for these crooks.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Of course it does..

Its an anti-androgen.

It is also used by male to female transsexuals to reduce testosterone levels...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

well not everyone knows this,hence the thread and present case(s) on going with malley etc.
ATS, I'll tell ya,tough crowd here.

Not directed to you per se,just thought this was a pretty important issue,considering a very large percentage of males experience 'male patter baldness' propecia being one of the leading treatment options other than rogaine,there is a good chance someone will end up using it.

After reading about some of the negative effects I wanted to make it known,for fear others would potentially have to go through what was reported.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Kind of ironic that they want to replace the hair that fell out to pick up women, then they regain the hair but can no longer function sexually. ...
Maybe if they weren't so vain they could worry more about finding a decent woman who was more interested in what kind of person they were more than how much hair they had.
... and they could learn to read the literature that comes with it before using it. They had proper warning and failed to heed it, they did this to themselves and the company isn't responsible for their stupidity.... at least they won't be reproducing and bringing additional people into the world with the same genetic predisposition to stupidity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I was not having a go, just merely pointing out another one of its uses..

Better informed than not hey??

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've witnessed one guy become lame after taking that stuff. He's been on it for a few years because of a thinning head. I noticed slight thinning a few years back and switched to all organic shampoo, plus added Australian emu oil 1/2oz. Hair is no longer thinning and is actually thicker.

-1 bigpharma
+1 natural medicine

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

I was not having a go, just merely pointing out another one of its uses..

Better informed than not hey??

I know and I agree.

I did not mean to come off the way I did,for that I apologize.Just frustrated today it seems,nothing personal.

reply to post by PurpleChiten

you obviously failed to read the thread. come on people.
I agree with what you are saying about vanity and finding a decent women...that is where it ends.
READ. for the love of sanity.

I have already addressed 'labeling' here-

Yet in this country, the FDA has not issued any warning or alert regarding the persistence of severe male sexual dysfunction after discontinuation of Propecia’s use. The agency's inaction comes despite two separate studies published last year in The Journal of Sexual Medicine by researchers from the George Washington University and Boston University schools of medicine that reported Propecia's side effects caused persistant and permanent male sexual dysfunction.
Source

Everything that is needed to fully understand the situation and particular cases are in the OP. Only if you take the time to read and listen (video)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I know you are trying to bring awareness of this drug's adverse effects and I applaud you for taking the time to do that. To respond to the question about drugs and their safety, side effects and how they get on the market, there are no absolutes when formulating a drug how it will affect an entire population. They do studies and testing but from what I understand that I have learned from doctors, nurses and some of my teachers, the drug manufacturers will take their risks and get their drug through FDA approval because they can produce controlled studies that have good safety data on them and get said drug on the market, knowing it will take years before the actual outcome of a drugs safety is truly known. By then they will have made their profits and the cost of lawsuits to them will be more affordable (don't even get me started about lawyers and the medical system!) If overwhelming evidence is produced after the drug is on the market that the drug has greater adverse effects than benefits and a good percentage of recipients of the drugs are harmed by them, that drug ends up getting pulled from the market and the class action lawsuits begin, with further investigations into their controlled studies before marketing the drug, to investigate whether the drug company hid evidence. I don't know the data on those who have received Propecia that have had good success with it vs those who have had the worst of the side effects, and I am in NO WAY taking up for the drug company or this drug.I just know that not every drug adversely affects everyone taking it, and also that not everyone will be helped by the same drug as well. The only reason I am even posting on this thread is that I wish more people would take responsibility for their health! I work in a hospital and it's mind boggling how far people will let themselves go and the poor health they will find themselves in until it is too late and then expect an the medical system to rescue them, especially here in the US. So many could have prevented their suffering and problems. Anyway, I won't comment any further and I hope this thread will pop up to those who do take the time to look into this drug further, the links you provide can help them make their own decisions for themselves.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Loss of sex drive isn't the end of the world. I lost my sex drive at 45. Now I have lots more time to explore science, music, camping, gold prospecting, astronomy, woodworking and many other interests I somehow never found the time for. I have been liberated from slavery to my penis.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Hello again,

I appreciate and enjoyed your post.I did not mean to have come off rudely in anyway earlier towards you.
I think my frustration stemmed from taking the time,effort and sincere concern creating this thread to alert others and felt it was being prematurely brushed to the side and dismissed etc.

You make valid points that I agree with. (although I cannot relate to care-giving/hospital work experience)
in a nutshell,bigpharm uses societies patients as guinea pigs,profiting off of those who may/may not even have a problem needing treatment. I guess it just angers me overall the way things are in the world.

Seeing my fellow human brothers/sisters being taking advantage of,in some cases losing their lives.Saddens and sickens me.

Thanks again for your at least understanding where I was coming from.

You have to understand,as much as I love ATS,there are many who either have an agenda,tend to skim threads-make their own mind up prematurely-then spout nonsense/or the opposite of what is being presented or all out troll - That for me,is a headache-inducing/uphill battle sometimes

Originally posted by groingrinder
Loss of sex drive isn't the end of the world. I lost my sex drive at 45. Now I have lots more time to explore science, music, camping, gold prospecting, astronomy, woodworking and many other interests I somehow never found the time for. I have been liberated from slavery to my penis.

Now that is one way of turning a negative into a positive.

unfortunately some of the reports stated not only libido issues but permanent impotence,along with some other physiological ailments.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I understand about the serious health complications. It is a shame we all have to be so vain that we can get taken by people who PRETEND to be helping us.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Oooh... That is a VERY bad side-effect.
Sounds like an attempt to sterilize the population. It was predicted in Illuminati's agendas. Eugenics.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I suppose it should not be funny, but I can't help but think these people are using the product to be more attractive to the opposite sex, and then once they grow the hair, they don't even want the sex anymore. Irony at its best!

On a similar note, when couples decide to work out and get fit together something similar happens. When both the male and female partner are out of shape, the male still has an enormous sex drive, while the female is distracted by her own self-image and confidence and she will avoid sex a lot of the time. As they start working out and losing weight, the female gains a positive image of herself and feels empowered and her sex drive increases, but the male is burning off energy and aggression and balancing his hormones through the exercise and his sex drive diminishes. Sometimes it can lead to relationship troubles, because neither party understands what is going on, and they get very sensitive and jealous. Shouldn't be funny, but it kind of is. (BTW, I know there are plenty of sources saying exactly the opposite, those sources are the glass-half-full side of the story, they ignore the Mars/Venus aspect and the communication problems between men and women.)

Anyhow, I can't believe people are just realizing Propecia has horrendous side effects? I used some gray hair foam about 3 times and the smell and the chemicals on my skin gave me headaches and made me feel terrible, and I never touched it again. I'd rather have gray hair and good health than dark hair and feel like shyte. If I start to go bald, it will be time to get out the razor and polish my dome. Harsh chemicals and surgeries for the sake of vanity are ALWAYS a mistake!

Look inward, not outward. Look at some of the ugly bastards out there with hot women. You don't have to be attractive, you have to be confident, personable, and thoughtful, with a little bit of asshole mixed in. It doesn't matter whether or not you have hair, it matters how you feel about yourself.

Get off the propecia already!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

[Snip]

Look inward, not outward. Look at some of the ugly bastards out there with hot women. You don't have to be attractive, you have to be confident, personable, and thoughtful, with a little bit of asshole mixed in. It doesn't matter whether or not you have hair, it matters how you feel about yourself.

Get off the propecia already!

Well said my friend! could not agree or have said it better.

It is truly a shame that society (different kinds of media) has deemed certain womanly figures or a mans hairline/volume more desirable then another.

Throw sense of humor in there! Always a common one that I have heard.

top topics

join