It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was a Mason and here's what I learned...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
At least from my vantage point, the Masons are harmless. I became a member many years ago. I was near the lowest degree possible, but that, I think, doesn't really matter. The rituals were silly but obviously there for symbolic reasons and of course I participated in that from the beginning. It's just required to get to be accepted and move on. I also had to memorize certain things so that the purpose of Freemasonry could be firmly planted. The oaths are there to keep you honest or at least let you know that honesty and loyalty is expected.The meetings were incredibly boring as I recall. The whole thing reminded me of the Chamber of Commerce with a spiritual/mystical slant.

My children had a club called the "Top Secret Club" of which I was an initiate and in my view was more fun, interesting and conspiratorial. We plotted and planned various things around the home, such as detecting when the older sister was approaching the boys room. We also built a combination UFO/ghost alarm. We conspired to do things in that make-believe secret society. I never saw any conspiracy in the Masons except to help others.

I've never divulged any "secrets" I learned at such a low level, there just weren't many, but even if I had, those secrets are nothing to even give a second thought to. Besides, I think almost all of the "secrets" of Freemasonry have been published ad nauseum on the internet -- some of them true but I suspect much of it false to create an image of Freemasonry as evil conspirators.

If anyone was planning on taking control of the world, I don't know if any of these men would have had the energy to do so since they were hardworking at their careers. I didn't personally know any who were in politics, but why should that matter anyway? Every group of any decent size will have some members involved in politics and will bring their personal or group agenda to the arena.

Yes, I know that some are invited to move up to higher degrees and learn of Freemasonry's view of existence. It's Freemasonry's view -- not necessarily objective fact but more like a group-opinion of the nature of life and the universe. I was not one of them but it never mattered to me. We will all learn the truth of our existence at some point -- we have an eternity if necessary to do so. So, I've never been impressed or intimidated with 32nd degree Masons or higher. They feel special because of the exclusivity and that's ok. Christianity does essentially the same thing when it says only its initiates (born again believers) can make it to heaven. In fact, I suspect that much of the animosity towards Freemasonry is because it is viewed as a competitor to other religions, especially Christianity.

I lost interest in Masonry because it simply wasn't for me. I'm very averse to groups -- any groups -- and just want to do things on my own without having to belong to any particular crowd. I own my own business but still don't care that much about networking -- I'll get clients one way or the other and with or without the help of another. I've never cared much for the superficial, shallow nature of networking anyway.

In a nutshell, the Masons never conspired to do anything other than charitable things, at least while I was an active member. I can't imagine any of these men conspiring to do harm to anyone, even the higher level initiates -- and my best friend at the time was one of them. So, it would be great if we'd focus attention on those who are truly doing harm to humanity and leave Masonry alone. They're secretive, yes. But they are at the same time, harmless.
edit on 26-5-2012 by Visiting ESB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

The whole thing reminded me of the Chamber of Commerce with a spiritual/mystical slant.

I'll get clients one way or the other and with or without the help of another. I've never cared much for the superficial, shallow nature of networking anyway.

In a nutshell, the Masons never conspired to do anything other than charitable things, at least while I was an active member.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Starred for 100% truth-content, which is very, very rare these days.

Sometimes the truth is so spectacularly boring that people find the prospect of a world-conspiracy less terrifying.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

That's a pretty cool post, thanks for honestly sharing your experience. My grandfather is a mason and he's never hurt a fly except maybe say some racist things about mexicans. Top Secret Club sounds awesome

I'm sure most of the actual masonic secrets are just things certain members did in the past which history has hidden from us.

I have some thought of my own but I have a sort of harmless question for the "weary travelers" here.

Why are the bottoms of the beer steins clear?
edit on 26-5-2012 by protocolsoflove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Was there ever a connection between your activities and Israel?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by protocolsoflove

Sounds like a masonic question, though I have never heard it. It seems to imply that masons weary of freemasonry have not done enough socializing. Correct me if Im wrong.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Sounds like a masonic question, though I have never heard it. It seems to imply that masons weary of freemasonry have not done enough socializing. Correct me if Im wrong.

NONO. I'm sorry. Let me explain. My roommate's grandfather just gave him his freemason beerstein. its engraved with his name and date and lodge and the bottom of it is see through glass but the mug itself is made out of like pewter.

Just wondering what the purpose was

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

NONO. I'm sorry. Let me explain. My roommate's grandfather just gave him his freemason beerstein. its engraved with his name and date and lodge and the bottom of it is see through glass but the mug itself is made out of like pewter.

Just wondering what the purpose was

Oh OK...its because masonry has a lot of questions like these that are like little riddles.

I dont know what the purpose of that is.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Glass bottoms

Metal tankards often come with a glass bottom. The legend (but a myth) is that the glass bottomed tankard was developed as a way of refusing the King's shilling, i.e. conscription into the British army or navy. The drinker could see the coin in the bottom of the glass and refuse the drink, thereby avoiding conscription.
In a bar fight, the first punch was thrown while the recipient had the tankard raised to his mouth; another legend has it that the glass bottom was implemented so as to see the attack coming.
A further story is that the glass bottom merely allowed the drinker to judge the clarity of their drink while forgoing the expense of a fragile pint glass.[5]
Glass bottoms are sometimes retrofitted to antique tankards, reducing their value and authenticity.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

That's a pretty cool post, thanks for honestly sharing your experience. My grandfather is a mason and he's never hurt a fly except maybe say some racist things about mexicans. Top Secret Club sounds awesome

I'm sure most of the actual masonic secrets are just things certain members did in the past which history has hidden from us.

I have some thought of my own but I have a sort of harmless question for the "weary travelers" here.

edit on 26-5-2012 by protocolsoflove because: (no reason given)

Thanks, I agree that all the masons I've known are decent people. Every group has someone that they wouldn't want to represent them and I'm sure Masonry is no exception. We are all, after all, human and prone to mistakes and being tempted to go down roads we shouldn't go.

As for the Top Secret Club, that was so much fun. I wish I could have stopped time when my kids were that young. The best part of my life, hands down.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

I never heard anyone talk about Israel.They may have done so, but no more than any other news item.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thank you, I figured it was time for me to help dispel some myths here. Just a drop in the bucket, but my contribution nonetheless.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Dear Visiting ESB,

I know more than a few Masons and I agree with most of what you said. I also know the history of the organization and things they have done. I am well aware of the fact that in England, many of the police and attorneys are Masons. My father was in law enforcement and one of his fellow officers was a Mason. One day they arrested some guy and apparently he was also a Mason. The other officer, the Mason, asked my father if they could let the guy go. He told my father he didn't know the guy; but, had to at least ask because he was a brother Mason. My father said no. While I strongly agree that most Masons are just people who want to either participate in a fraternal organization that helps others or want to network, the truth is that they give each other help if they can, not based on merit; but, based on association, in my opinion, fraternities are no different. I forgot something, I also have a friend who is a 32nd degree Mason, he wouldn't become a 33rd because he wouldn't take the final oath.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

I've only ever heard the theory that the glass bottom was literally for looking through in case of an attack. The other theories are just as good though. I love trivial history like that lol.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Visiting ESB,

I know more than a few Masons and I agree with most of what you said. I also know the history of the organization and things they have done. I am well aware of the fact that in England, many of the police and attorneys are Masons. My father was in law enforcement and one of his fellow officers was a Mason. One day they arrested some guy and apparently he was also a Mason. The other officer, the Mason, asked my father if they could let the guy go. He told my father he didn't know the guy; but, had to at least ask because he was a brother Mason. My father said no. While I strongly agree that most Masons are just people who want to either participate in a fraternal organization that helps others or want to network, the truth is that they give each other help if they can, not based on merit; but, based on association, in my opinion, fraternities are no different. I forgot something, I also have a friend who is a 32nd degree Mason, he wouldn't become a 33rd because he wouldn't take the final oath.

I love hearing stories like this. The plot thickens, eh? Something that was once used for strangers to quickly identify each other in times of duress has morphed into somewhat of a dishonest, criminal ring in some cases.

I suppose this does not in any way speak to masonry itself but instead to the state of our world today.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by protocolsoflove

Dear pdotocolzoclove,

I love hearing stories like this. The plot thickens, eh? Something that was once used for strangers to quickly identify each other in times of duress has morphed into somewhat of a dishonest, criminal ring in some cases. I suppose this does not in any way speak to masonry itself but instead to the state of our world today.

In the end, the only question is do you care about everyone or just yourself. Even the Masons know that.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Visiting ESB,

Your Candor and accurate account is to be commended. I think the way you described things is honorable and truthful. With so much garbage being spewed on the internet, it is refreshing to see someone take the high road.

To further your account:

I am a Master Mason, Lodge Officer and 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason. My Grandad is a Mason, Great Uncle, Great Great Grandad and, many other family members were Masons. In fact, I am a descendent of Meriwether Lewis(Lewis & Clark) both of which were Masons. I also happen to be fairly young in relation to the majority of members of my Lodge. I'm 34, for those of you who are wondering.

I agree, most lodge functions are boring and wouldn't appeal to many young folks. The younger generations do things a different way these days. Also, they are largely disconnected from traditional social intercourse. The Internet is most likely the reason. Many people spend more than half their time on the internet vs. getting out and doing things, experiencing life and, having fun. It seems to me that many people would rather sit in front of a computer and talk with complete strangers about life. They illustrate how they would live, if they were ever to break away from the computer for more than five minutes.

Personally, I don't like our regular meetings. They are painfully long and uneventful, I think a quicker format would be better. What I do like is our Degree Work, I love seeing the new guys come in. I love participating in passing the tradition of the ritual on and, seeing the light in the new guy's eyes as they progress. It's great to see men who dedicate themselves to holding a high standard of morality in today's world.

I also really enjoy getting to know the other brothers and learning from them and sharing stories. Also the thing that is really cool for me is getting to know the old timers, sharing stories and learning about things long forgotten. There's a lot of wisdom in experience, the older guys love to talk about their war wounds, families and just about anything else you can think of. For me, it gives perspective and I obtain some experience via proxy of someone who has been there, done that.

It has probably been said a million times before: The secrets of Masonry can't be found in a ritual nor, in a coded little book. The true secret is the personal and spiritual growth each man goes through. The secret is sharing the world with your fellow man. Being ready to lend a hand when needed and, just doing the right thing no matter what. Masonry has inspired me in many ways, I hope that it does the same for other men throughout time.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I've heard that real, true, Masons don't belong to a lodge. I've heard that you're either born a Mason or you're not born one.

Don't ask me where I heard it. I'm sworn to be silent about the source.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

We are also sworn to secrecy about your source, but I am going to jump off the deep end here and break my sacred oath. YOUR SOURCE IS WRONG!

I have to run away, change my name, cut my hair, and grow Muttonchops to hide my identity.

God Save the Queen!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Those are interesting stories, but somewhat unlikely. Historically, beers and ales were unfiltered, therefore, cloudy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join