It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Type of Male Contraceptive? Key Gene Essential for Sperm Development Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
New Type of Male Contraceptive? Key Gene Essential for Sperm Development Discovered
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (May 24, 2012)
— A new type of male contraceptive could be created thanks to the discovery of a key gene essential for sperm development.

Uh oh, nobody tell those who supposedly want population control.

The finding could lead to alternatives to the conventional male contraceptives that rely on disrupting the production of hormones, such as testosterone. These treatments can cause side-effects such as irritability, mood swings and acne.

LOL, sorry, I just find it funny that a male contraceptive would disrupt testosterone, cause irritability, mood sings, and acne.... aren't those all turn-offs for females?

If scientists can regulate the Katnal1 gene in the testes, they could prevent sperm from maturing completely, making them ineffective without changing hormone levels.

Sweet, now I can remain level headed, get the girl, and not produce a boy.

"The important thing is that the effects of such a drug would be reversible because Katnal1 only affects sperm cells in the later stages of development, so it would not hinder the early stages of sperm production and the overall ability to produce sperm.

Ouch... there goes population control. Although, maybe still possible if people aren't aware.

Dr Lee Smith, Reader in Genetic Endocrinology at the University of Edinburgh's Centre for Reproductive Health, said: "If we can find a way to target this gene in the testes, we could potentially develop a non-hormonal contraceptive.

So... it's still not here yet, but the possibility is out there. Interesting none the less. I swear, they are finding a new gene every day that is responsible for something... gift and a curse if you ask me.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I don't get it

So do I still
drop load's

some of the sides
sound like roids not a hemi

edit on 5/26/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
I don't get it

So do I still
drop load's

some of the sides
sound like roids not a hemi

edit on 5/26/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

I'm with ya...

Is it that there are no tails?

There's so many questions, and ways to put them... all of which would probably be removed from the site by a MOD lol.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
i'll pass
lol

top topics

join