It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't stop rubbing myself!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Bingo. That's what I was going to write. It does sound like OCD which is deeply ingrained. The fact, however, that it appears to be somewhat involuntary and is only one-sided could be a brain issue.

A visit to the doctor is definitely in order.

If the OP does it in her sleep, that would indicate an involuntary impulse from the brain. If it is only when she is awake, OCD could be the culprit.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Left hand syndrome? I'll take it you are right handed?

Ice cube.

Papertowels, or a nice soft cottony towel to catch the dripping.

Hold the ice cube in your left hand until it hurts. Let it melt, and drip. Put the ice down when the pain gets to be too cold.

You are actually ambidextrous, so try using your left hand more. You are repressing left hand activity, so your brain is compensating with the extraneous activity.

The freezing pain will rewire your brain after a few sessions. Practice typing left handed only on your keyboard.

More advice is available on request. You don't need the exercise balls, you simply need to listen to what your body is telling you.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
just a nervous habit. You could always amputate...

Well isn't that a little bit extreme? I mean calling it a nervous habit?

Have you given up smoking at all? A similar thing happened to my mother years ago when she stopped smoking, she would rub the meaty part of her thumb, because she said her hands didn't know what to do without a ciggy.

But then if it's entirely involuntary, hopefully it's not a motor neuron thing happening. O.o

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Do you have OCD or any form of it? Is it a compulsion, tic, or habit?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is the ultimate cure. Uses pain!

You need a high voltage, ultra low amperage, think low powered tazer!

Put the + connection on the tips of your fingers, say 4 thimbles.

Put the - connection on an insulated thimble on your thumb!

Should not take any longer that a day to retrain your synapses.

Every time you fall into the habit you will receive an awesome pain response.

This is for if/when all else fails. Thimbles must be metal.

P

edit on 25-5-2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

You are being sadistic, however, the cure is related to re-training the brain for an unconscious response. It does involve pain, but at least let sinny determine her own threshold.

The ice trick also works for curing hiccups, btw.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Had a similar habit and cured it with hypnosis. Yellow Pages. Cheap and effective....

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

No, I am not being sadistic. It is not my intention. As I said and I will reiterate the point.

When all else fails!

P

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Pretty sure Sinny is a dude but I have been wrong before!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I used to fidget with my legs. Whilst sitting I'd lift my heels up and start my legs vibrating. Haha It sounds stupid.
Started when I was a kid. Now I don't do it so much I put on weight.
Think I need to go back to fidgetting.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by smyleegrl

Love the avatar by the way.

Thank you!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Sorry for the late replies, I fell asleep

Yes I am right handed, yes I do have some OCD, I wonder if I do do it in my sleep?

I have mentioned it to the docs, as around the same time I devolped the shakes, they do get quite severe...docs aren't interested and change the subject..

No I have not gave up smoking, in fact my smoking has increased, just so I can keep that hand busy for 2 minutes lol.
edit on 26-5-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Haha, Sinnys a chick

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Sorry for the late replies, I fell asleep

Yes I am right handed, yes I do have some OCD, I wonder if I do do it in my sleep?

I have mentioned it to the docs, as around the same time I devolped the shakes, that do get quite severe...docs aren't interested and change the subject..

No I have not gave up smoking, in fact my smoking has increased, just so I can keep that hand busy for 2 minutes lol.

Kinda personal, but are you currently taking any meds? Certain meds can cause similar side effects, might want to check with your pharmacist.

Good luck!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

My OCD is routine, everythings got an order! It really bugs me when people don't stick to order, when I clean everythings gotta be in a certain place, and straight!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I'm just on iron tabs for my anemia.... All of this developed only around a year ago, its just really bugging me now, between my rubbing habit and the shakes people think I'm a nervous wreck... When I'm not

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Find something, or someONE else to rub... Sorry, I'm sure you've had enough replies like that, but you kinda asked for it lol... Back when I was a kid I caught head lice, and it freaked me out... After I got rid of it, i had this habit of picking through my hair like a monkey, pulling out anything that might be something. It lasted at least a year. I think being self conscious about people watching me helped me stop, but I dont really know. Now I just smoke cigs like a madman and masturbate, furiously, when I can't be with my lady friend... Maybe just picture people watching you and thinking you're a weirdo lol I dunno, seemed to work for me... Of course that was back in school, when I actually gave two #es what anybody thought.

Oh! This has surely been mentioned, but, I know what you need! One of those squishy stress balls!

Yay
to me!!!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Do you know what a doctor is?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Have you been on any medications? Certain types can cause conditions like what you've mentioned.

If you have been on those types, you may want to reconsider taking them.
edit on 26-5-2012 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Rub them intentionally, then dont rub them intentionally. Emphasis is on "intentional", because what you are doing is not intentional. Repeat this exercise over a few days and it should disappear. Good luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join