It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American West, 150 Years Ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
In the 1860s and 70s, photographer Timothy O'Sullivan created some of the best-known images in American History

www.theatlantic.com...

Im putting this on here as I am sure that many of you like myself are interested and fascinated by old photos. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of the Old West. I was raised in the Southwest, so I have been to many of those places. Some areas look kind of the same and some look very different.

It was interesting to see what the Colorado River looked like before the dams were built. Thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Those pics were amazing, simply amazing! Incredible detail, panoramic vistas, and a glimpse of the west when it was still "wild"....although the Native Americans already appear to be in western dress.

The field next to our property still has an old dirt road that originally was traversed by Native Americans going from one watering hole to the next (about 25 miles apart), and I often walk on it and imagine how it looked in the past, and then when the wagons started using it, and finally the Model T's and other old vehicles, until they built the actual highway about 100 feet away in 1934. The mule deer still follow this old road.

Thanks for sharing the link, seeing these photos was a real treat!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cohort

Now, I'm going to have to be honest and reveal my ignorance through an observation.. but one of those photos in particular was taken in 1862, and takes better pictures than my cellphone. Someone, explain?

I'm assuming they were enhanced, but not THAT much..

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cohort

Thanks for sharing, amazing.

The American Idian, Aboriginal People, First Nations.......so oprest.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Just spent two hours scouring through those photos, as well as the civil war ones..

Simply breathtaking!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Notice the Indians. They were full blooded back then. They look fantastic.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

My wife had mentioned that too, shes so used to seeing "diluted Indians"

edit on 26-5-2012 by Cohort because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I really enjoyed the view into the past. Great photos! I love looking at old photographs, and seeing the way the land and the people used to be. Thanks !

new topics

top topics

join