It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Document Recomends Space-Faring agencies to stay away from certain sites on the moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hello Everybody,

I just came across this document published yesterday at the NASA site, but is actually written last year about "recomendations" for other international agencies or private companies to stay away from certain areas on the moon for "historical reasons" basically all the landing areas of US Government craft.

NASA recognizes the steadily increasing technical capabilities of space-faring commercial entities and nations throughout the world, and further recognizes that many are on the verge of landing spacecraft on the surface of the moon. In the 50 years since the first lunar missions, the spaceflight community has not formally provided recommendations to the next generation of lunar explorers on how to preserve the original artifacts and protect ongoing science from the potentially damaging effects of nearby landers.

Here is the link:

www.nasa.gov...

What do you guys think?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Maybe they are afraid for anyone to see just what they did or did not leave up there. What if the Apollo landers were UN-MANDED and they are afraid if some one lookds too close they will see the truth.

+3 more 
posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So basically the equivalent of 'don't build shopping malls on top of the pyramids of Giza.'

Makes sense to me.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think it's a smart and intelligent request.

We must approach such endeavors with caution, and in respect to already established missions. It's that simple...

I don't think there's anything conspiratorial here, just simply that there must be a code of conduct in regards to our discovering of the cosmos.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by laterallateral

Agree, what a shame it would be if a bunch of chinese tourists tramped all over the 1st ever foot prints on the moon etc. Its such a historical site for mankind so of course it should be protected.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
They want to steal our stuff on the moon dang it.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Someone will say they are hiding an alien skyscraper in 3..2..1..
2nd to none

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I think that people from pakistan should open a wee corner shop there just like they do in every corner here in scotland and that would show america that they dont and never will own the moon lol
They cannot dictate who lands where on the moon as they seem to think, about time the bubble burst and other nations show them what a bunch of rubbish it is and to tell the truth for once!
And i am not getting at the pakistan nation just that they are everywhere her in uk.

edit on 25-5-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
it's obvious reptilian overlords have death star bases on the moon

duh

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

And of course, some don't bother to read.

This document does not represent mandatory U.S. or international requirements; rather, it is offered to inform lunar spacecraft mission planners interested in helping preserve and protect lunar historic artifacts and potential science opportunities for future missions.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Obviously they don't want the Decepticons to be discovered...

..or perhaps the 75m boundary is just what they say it is.

Spooky

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gringo74

Contrary to your contextually-sensitive ladden title, NASA are *not* telling people to "stay away" from certain sites on the moon.

What they ARE doing is trying to create a formal guideline for all technically capable private, commerical and govt bodies to effectively "respect" the existing lunar artefacts.

It says nothing of staying away - it is a proposal, a "recommendation" - a key word used often in the doc/link, to suggest a form of respect be maintained. Just like any historical site.

Nothing nefarious or deceitful happening here.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Ok, I agree, but the title is usually made to catch the eye, I am guilty of using a harsher term in the title

Anyway, if you read the report, it does recomend to not get closer than a certain ammount of meters from each site...to me that is "stay away" from the area. To preserve the sites, of course, but it is still asking to "stay away".
edit on 25/5/2012 by gringo74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gringo74

I'm glad NASA thought of doing this, now with private spaceships flying hither and yon. Leave the historical sites alone! It's just common sense, but lots of people, thieves, and tourist hustlers don't have that sense, so they have to be reminded.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ahhh just like in National parks take only pictures leave only FOOTPRINTS. Please leave some so we can show the TAXPAYER please.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
What is ADL position on this?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I wish if NASA was so worried about it they would go back there (oops no shuttles) and make it an official historical site for future generations before something does happen to it...if it exists..or before Starbucks gets to it.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
I wish if NASA was so worried about it they would go back there (oops no shuttles) and make it an official historical site for future generations before something does happen to it...if it exists..or before Starbucks gets to it.

It's not up to NASA.

Talk to Obama about it. He's the one who cancelled the planned lunar landings within the next decade.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Sorry, kinda what I was eluding to with the no more shuttle thing...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
A conspiracy?

Lolz

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join