It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Deaths Outpace Motor Vehicle Deaths in 10 States in 2009 New Analysis Shows

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I am going to start a new organization called MADAK. We will use this lobby to put an end to all the drunk kinng going on out there.

Mothers Against Drinking And Killing

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
To me it's more that we're comparing This to This.

Personally, have they correlated the difference between NEW gun buys to the change in rate or not? How about the unemployment rate to the deaths? There's more than 1 reason that people are being shot.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Future NEWS--- Death in FEMA camps out paces auto deaths.
2nd line

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I have long awaited for an appropriate moment to share this "anonymous" tidbit of which I have heard...

Statistics that are born of the government are NEVER to be taken at face value. It is a trick of "clever management" to skew the numbers by "interpreting" the data as it is recorded. THAT interpretation dictates the 'appearance' we are 'being convinced of'.

This excellent item you have given us exemplifies the trick, which you saw through almost instantly.

And here is the question: You and I and practically the rest of the population are NOT actually tricked by these overt attempts to sway opinion. Only those who "follow" seem to be incapable of understanding the intent behind the item. Why then, do they still believe it works? Why do it?

We know that people die at a given rate in society. It happens. Examining the minutiae and parsing the data in such a way as to pretend that the picture painted is reality is sort of a tired tactic, and I can't believe it can be so effective as to actually persuade people that we must now fret over guns. By this logic we must also realize that sex kills. As does eating... and breathing... and living at all.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

EErr and why 2009 thats's already dated. Were those numbers worse then todays.
It don't take over two years to compile that data.
If you put an end to things like Fast and Furious maybe the stats would drop.
edit on 5/25/2012 by longjohnbritches because: sa

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

This could also be due to more and more people loosing their driving privileges thanks to idiotic state laws that revoke drivers licences for stupid petty things like having no insurance.

Less people driving equals less automobile accidents.

Doubt it has anything to do with guns. Course it depends on the states, and how many idiot rednecks, gang bangers, and morons with more guns than brains there are.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I have long awaited for an appropriate moment to share this "anonymous" tidbit of which I have heard...

Statistics that are born of the government are NEVER to be taken at face value. It is a trick of "clever management" to skew the numbers by "interpreting" the data as it is recorded. THAT interpretation dictates the 'appearance' we are 'being convinced of'.

This excellent item you have given us exemplifies the trick, which you saw through almost instantly.

And here is the question: You and I and practically the rest of the population are NOT actually tricked by these overt attempts to sway opinion. Only those who "follow" seem to be incapable of understanding the intent behind the item. Why then, do they still believe it works? Why do it?

We know that people die at a given rate in society. It happens. Examining the minutiae and parsing the data in such a way as to pretend that the picture painted is reality is sort of a tired tactic, and I can't believe it can be so effective as to actually persuade people that we must now fret over guns. By this logic we must also realize that sex kills. As does eating... and breathing... and living at all.

And then when they can't get certain laws or bills passed, it always comes down to "But we must protect the children".

It gets old but it keeps working. Pull those heart strings long enough, skew the numbers in the right way and the people will stand behind anything. Even without understanding the full extent and ramifications of the issue at hand.

Peace

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I haven't read thru the thread yet, but I can tell you that prescription drug overdoses are outpacing both guns and automobiles!

So, the most dangerous thing in the US at this time seems to be the Doctors and Pharmacies!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
And how many of those deaths were caused by licensed firearm users? I have the feeling they are hiding the fact that inner city gangs are shooting each other to help make the case that guns should be banned or at the very least make gun laws more tight.

Licensed firearm users respect guns and don't go around shooting others for small reasons. It is the illegal markets they should go after but why would they do that? It is not in their best interest. It is like allowing make believe anarchists into left wing protest marches and these anarchists go ballastic so that media can claim all the left wingers are radical lunatics.

Spin, spin, spin, spin EVERYTHING! Government needs a reason to exist, so might as well go after the victim and encourage the aggressor to be more brass. After all the ptb hate competition. "You can't compete with the government" said john gotti!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Just HOW many deaths do they think there would be if we didn't have guns? Do they not pay attention to the massacres from governments when the populace is not armed?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
There is 1 big flaw in this report.
How many gun deaths were caused by, drive by shootings?
Which should move those deaths over to death by car.
Second flaw,
how many people killed someone with a gun while drunk?
Which should be moved over to alcohol related death.
Third flaw,
how many people were killed while on drugs or over drugs?
Should be moved to Drug related deaths.
Etc. add domestic violence the list never ends.

edit on 25-5-2012 by Gmoneycricket because: Etc. add domestic violence the list never ends.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well have fun with numbers

www.amazon.com...

"There is terror in numbers," writes Darrell Huff in How to Lie with Statistics. And nowhere does this terror translate to blind acceptance of authority more than in the slippery world of averages, correlations, graphs, and trends. Huff sought to break through "the daze that follows the collision of statistics with the human mind" with this slim volume, first published in 1954. The book remains relevant as a wake-up call for people unaccustomed to examining the endless flow of numbers pouring from Wall Street, Madison Avenue, and everywhere else someone has an axe to grind, a point to prove, or a product to sell. "The secret language of statistics, so appealing in a fact-minded culture, is employed to sensationalize, inflate, confuse, and oversimplify," warns Huff.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The fact is, as always, suicides count for way more than half of these numbers. That doesn't count, they would just kill themselves some other way if they couldn't get hold of a gun.

Of the rest, most of them are people with a felony record, or about to have one. Eighty percent of the time, alcohol is involved.

Medical "accidents" kill over 100 thousand per year in the US, far more than guns and cars put together. Therefore, you are far more likely to be killed by a doctor than by a thug with a gun. You should be much more scared of doctors than gang bangers. Fact.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
They should just come out and say

GANG BANGERS!

crypts, southern mexicans, aryan brotherhood, northern mexicans, ms13.

"You sell dope in my area and you get a bullet in the head bro/cuz."

When you see four black dudes driving a brand new mercedes benz in south la with tinted glass and snoop dog rap lyrics on a 500 watt amplifier....then wtf?

Yeah lets take all the drug related, prostitution, extortion rackets and generalise to high hell that guns=death!

No. People kill people! if no guns are used, then baseball bats/knives/karate/brass knuckles...whatever is available. I have lived in rough neighborhoods growing up so I know wtf I am talking about!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm really not at all surprised.

Especially since this country has the most lax gun laws out of any country except those that are considered "our enemy"

EDIT:

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Yeah lets take all the drug related, prostitution, extortion rackets and generalise to high hell that guns=death!

No. People kill people! if no guns are used, then baseball bats/knives/karate/brass knuckles...whatever is available. I have lived in rough neighborhoods growing up so I know wtf I am talking about!

Right, because countries with tighter gun control have WAY more murders per capita than the USA does.

edit on 5/26/2012 by Anonymous404 because: added information

EDIT2: If we had tighter gun regulations then pu***** with guns would actually have to watch someone die. They would be WAY less inclined to take someone's life and be more likely to just beat their ass, which is the way it should be.

Have you ever killed someone with something other than just a gun? It's horrifying. You'd have to be a serial killer to do that more than once, and countries with tighter gun control laws have less serial killers.
edit on 5/26/2012 by Anonymous404 because: added information

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
IF, You don't want to die in a firearms related incident, don't try to break into my home or steal my crap!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The problem is they list justifiable shooting of criminals as homicides along with criminals shooting criminals

Check the list of states with the high numbers against a list of states with castle laws where its legal to shoot criminals.

I have no problem with home owners shooting criminals under the castle laws as it saves the taxpayers money. I also have no problems with criminals/gang members shooting other criminals/gang members because one goes in a body bag and is no longer a problem for the public . And the other goes to prison for a long time and is no longer a danger to the public..

If some one blows there brains out its less likely to endanger others but as a EMT i have been to a couple cases where people killed them self by turning on the gas a blowing up other people along with them self.

If you are a felon caught with a gun 25 years nothing less.
If you are a felon committing a crime with a gun you get life in prison automatically. Jaywalk with a gun hidden in you pants and its life.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
If you support killing someone without a jury trial then the bill of rights doesn't apply to you either.

2nd line.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

Have you ever killed someone with something other than just a gun? It's horrifying. You'd have to be a serial killer to do that more than once, and countries with tighter gun control laws have less serial killers.

Hmmm. As far as I know, there were plenty of murders committed before the invention of the firearm.

Soldiers on the battlefield aren't usually put into the category of serial killers.

I don't believe serial killers usually employ a gun to do their murders, they tend to draw unwanted attention. Jack the Ripper did his deeds within earshot of witnesses. A lot of them are stranglers.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
As it is, accidents or negligence with cars is much more deadly in total numbers compared to accidents or negligence with guns.

Indeed. In fact, its not even close. If you believe the CDC, the average number of accidental fatal shootings per year in the US is only around 600. By contrast, you're talking about 30,000-40,000 fatal vehicle accidents per year.

More people were accidentally killed on bicycles from 1999-2007 than were accidentally killed with firearms in the same time period. Where are the calls to ban bicycles? Almost 30 times as many were killed in accidental falls in the same time period, too.

You can find all of these fun facts and more right here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join