It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Deaths Outpace Motor Vehicle Deaths in 10 States in 2009 New Analysis Shows

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

www.vpc.org

A new Violence Policy Center (VPC) state-by-state analysis of government data comparing firearm deaths and motor vehicle deaths shows that gun deaths outpaced motor vehicle deaths in 10 states in 2009, the most recent year for which state level data is available. The 10 states which experienced more firearm deaths than motor vehicle deaths in 2009 are: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, and Washington (see alphabetical listing of states with mortality figures below). Nationally, there were 31,236 firearm deaths in 2009 and 36,361 motor vehicle deaths
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
They are comparing apples and oranges. Car deaths are generally unintentional. If 10000 people a year committed murder with a car, and 10000 other people committed suicide with a car, THEN we could compare.

As it is, accidents or negligence with cars is much more deadly in total numbers compared to accidents or negligence with guns.

www.vpc.org

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
So how about a timeline of more than just 1 year? What good is showing the statistics for one year when it could have fluctuated greatly in the last 2 decades. And come on, half of those are western states where they have more guns per household than cars! Especially Alaska! Now some Senators are gonna spin this around and try to ban our guns again

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
First they take freedom...then the guns...and finally they'll come for all the bananas.

Think it's silly? Me too...

And it's only going to get sillier. So remember to protect your bananas at all times.

Peace

edit on 25-5-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

90 percent of American households own a car while fewer than a third own firearms.

I wonder how these divide up amongst self defense, accident, homicide, and suicide.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The vast majority of people killed with firearms are those with felony records and or in the process of committing a crime. I like to think of gun deaths as an automatic street cleaner. We don't have to prosecute, incarcerate, or even catch criminals when they kill each other. Occasionally you get the off chance situation where someone shoots their family or someone innocent dies.. but compared to self inflicted and criminally related those numbers are very small.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6]

library.med.utah.edu...

In the U.S. for 2010, there were 31,513 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 19,308; Homicide 11,015; Accident 600. This makes firearms injuries one of the top ten causes of death in the U.S. The number of firearms-related injuries in the U.S., both fatal and non-fatal, increased through 1993, declined to 1999, and has remained relatively constant since. However, firearms injuries remain a leading cause of death in the U.S., particularly among youth (CDC, 2001) (Sherry et al, 2012).

The rates of firearms deaths in the U.S. vary significantly by race and sex. The U.S. national average was 10.2 deaths per 100,000 population in 2009. The highest rate was 28.4/100,000 for African-American males, more than quadruple the rate of 6.3/100,000 for white males. (CDC, 2009)

The number of non-fatal injuries is considerable--over 200,000 per year in the U.S. Many of these injuries require hospitalization and trauma care. A 1994 study revealed the cost per injury requiring admission to a trauma center was over $14,000.

I don't think it's fair to include suicide by gunshot. How many suicides are from drugs, razor blades etc.

Here's a breakdown in vehicular deaths

en.wikipedia.org...

2005 43,443
2006 42,642
2007 41,059
2008 37,261
2009 33,808
2010 32,885

What I want to know is why our auto insurance rates keep going up!

edit on 25-5-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Now give us the real numbers. How many were suicides? How many were accidental? How many were justified? How many were homicides?'

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That's because you don't want to wreck your car.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

www.vpc.org

A new Violence Policy Center (VPC) state-by-state analysis of government data comparing firearm deaths and motor vehicle deaths shows that gun deaths outpaced motor vehicle deaths in 10 states in 2009, the most recent year for which state level data is available. The 10 states which experienced more firearm deaths than motor vehicle deaths in 2009 are: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, and Washington (see alphabetical listing of states with mortality figures below). Nationally, there were 31,236 firearm deaths in 2009 and 36,361 motor vehicle deaths

I'll give this a try.Alaska: They have cars in Alaska?Arizona: MexicoColorado: Who knew hippies were violent. Indiana: Gary, enough said. Michigan: Detroit, enough said.Nevada: Las Vegas. Oregon: I've got nothing.Utah: Who knew Mormans were violent.Virginia: Did they include D.C. with those numbers?Washington: Once again, I've got nothing.
edit on 25-5-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

www.reuters.com...

That data is garbage and since i am from Indiana population of Indiana is 6,516,922 and 732 people died from weapons.

Blah.

270 million divided by 50 = 5,400,000 per guns per state of course some will have more some will have less just a ball pack estimating.

So there are more people in Indiana than there are guns people can twist data to mean whatever they want it to.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'll bet if I made and sold lawn furniture that was as dangerous as cars, they would outlaw it, put me in jail and sue me to death.
They outlawed the really cool lawn darts.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Lies lies and more of the same old LIES!!!!!

When will people wake the hell up?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I wonder how may were murdered by tin foil badge wearing cops.
A badge is becoming license to kill. Just how did this happen?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 5/25/2012 by fixer1967 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

How about this:

The states mentioned are all either a) low population-density Western states, or b) states with a large aching urban hell-hole like Detroit, Gary, or the local version of what correlates with Beirut.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
First mistake was reading VPC.

Soros.

Just my opinion.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I'll bet if I made and sold lawn furniture that was as dangerous as cars, they would outlaw it, put me in jail and sue me to death.
They outlawed the really cool lawn darts.

If the number of people killed or maimed by lawn darts were compared proportionally to those killed by automobiles, we'd still have lawn darts. I miss lawn darts.

I also wish my guns hadn't been lost in that unfortunate boating accident off the coast of South Africa. 10 miles off the coast. Sort of to the right of SA. At night.

/TOA

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

www.vpc.org

I'd wager they are including felony gun crime in their stats to make gun owners look bad...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Daedal

The vast majority of people killed with firearms are those with felony records and or in the process of committing a crime. I like to think of gun deaths as an automatic street cleaner. We don't have to prosecute, incarcerate, or even catch criminals when they kill each other. Occasionally you get the off chance situation where someone shoots their family or someone innocent dies.. but compared to self inflicted and criminally related those numbers are very small.

We should send all thugs to shooting school so their aim is better. They'll mostly kill each other without strafing a bunch of kids and innocent standers by. But I agree, most of those deaths are good riddance.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join