It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloning of ancient trees - Carbon Sponges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
David Milarch, Michigan nurseryman and 1996 Founder and President of the Champion
Tree Project has found some of the most ancient trees in the world and is cloning them. That way they won't be lost. These old trees have obviously withstood drought, blight, and climate change. If he can find and clone them, we can save them for future generations.
Here is a video you can watch for more information: www.youtube.com...
Much of the old growth forests have been cut. He intends to replace these giants with clones.
He feels that he trees will grow quickly and take excess carbon out of the air.
Sound like a good plan to me.
edit on 5/25/2012 by zachi because: Add information

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Here is a second source of information for your perusal:
www.earthfiles.com...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Great Idea!!!

I live by Yosemite and if you have ever seen the General Sherman tree you will know what this guy is talking about. Colossus Monsters and very Old. When you walk amongst these Giants it feels like if your from the Country and you go to downtown San Fransisco the first time with all the tall buildings around, you almost get a sense of Vertigo.

edit on 25-5-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

I'm jealous! I would love to get out your way.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
why do humans have this obsession?

why are people afraid to let go?

i find it very strange.

we will soon have to let go of everything.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
They could just...I don't know...stop cutting down the trees we have now, and start replacing what they've killed. That would help solve a lot of our carbon dioxide issues.

It would be pretty cool though, if they could grow these trees.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Dad was a carpenter, so I am not against tree harvesting. I do think they should have a replanting and reforesting schedule. I think they do.
There is also a lot of trees dying out now. It hasn't been cold enough to kill insects that attach the trees in the northern lodge pole pines and they are being killed off. I think they should harvest the dead trees and replant with something that can take the bugs or not be bothered by them.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Actually, the harvesting of pine-beetle damaged wood has helped spread the pine beetle blight.

The way to deal with Pine Beetle is to allow fires to take them out. But we fight fires because of million dollar homes and because logging companies consider the trees their property/profit.

On topic:

The towering redwood trees that once dominated the coastal forests of the U.S. West Coast may soon be restored throughout their historic range. A group of historic tree buffs will collect genetic samples Tuesday from the tops of several old-growth redwood trees in California—the first step in cloning the trees and regrowing lost forests.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.ecospeakers.com...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
why do humans have this obsession?

why are people afraid to let go?

i find it very strange.

we will soon have to let go of everything.

Errr..

You do realize that we get most of our air that we breathe from Trees.. right?
Trees help filter out a lot of the crap us puny humans create chemically and then release in the air.

edit on 5/26/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by zachi

Actually, the harvesting of pine-beetle damaged wood has helped spread the pine beetle blight.

I research that a bit and found that pine beetle-infested timber reduces the quality of timber products. It has a lower moisture content that affects papermaking. It also has a blue stain that does not affect structural integrity, but people don't like it.

en.wikipedia.org...
Wiki said the wood from beetle-affected trees retains its commercial value for eight to 12 years after the tree has died. The timber can be used for anything from standard framing lumber to engineered wood products, such as glue-laminated (glulam) products and cross-laminated panels. The epidemic in British Columbia is also creating opportunities for the emerging bioenergy industry.

Can you give me a link to verify your statement?

top topics

join