It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honors student arrested for truancy...it gets worse.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Where are the parents? Why is she working to pay for her OLDER siblings college education? Why is she taking advanced placement classes if she can hardly find the time to attend?

Why was she previously warned by a judge to not miss any more class?

This story is missing a lot

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Where are her parents? They should be the ones in jail for willfully neglect.

Look at the message this sent. Hard work and sacrifice gets you punished. Is this the message we really want to send to our children?

Disgusting.

Unfortunately, it appears the parents abandoned her after getting a divorce...I believe that's what I read in the article.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue
No one has mentioned that she could have just dropped out of school, instead of working and taking honors classes. It would be much easier to quit school. But she did not. Instead, she was trying to better herself and support her family.

We should be encouraging and assisting students who want to finish high school, not arresting them.
edit on 25-5-2012 by PacificBlue because: (no reason given)

Exactly...she was toughing it out trying to do the best for herself and her siblings. I just don't see why she was punished so severely considering her circumstances.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagesticEsoteric

Unfortunately, it appears the parents abandoned her after getting a divorce...I believe that's what I read in the article.

The 'article' makes a vague reference to the parents no longer being around. IT gives no detail to explain the context, or legality of apparently abandoning one or two minors.

This article sucks.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
reply to post by KeliOnyx

See, you say "all we know is that she was truant". False. We know the following as well:

Honor Role Student (read the article)
Raising Siblings (read the article)
Putting a Sibling through College (read the article)
Working Full Time (read the article)
Working Part Time (read the article)
TIRED AS HELL AS A 17 YR OLD (read the article)

Seems to me like she had too much on her shoulders for such a young age...I can relate to some of what she is going through which is why I started the thread.

My sister and I raised our brother from the age of 10....all on our own...after our mother died. My sister took the brunt of it so I could attend college...god bless her heart...and then I took over completely once settled and employed. It was HARD...to say the least. While going to college Full-time, I also worked as many as 4 jobs at one point to make it work. We were kids ourselves faced with the responsibility of raising a child. Unless you have experienced for yourself, one cannot imagine the struggles emotionally, physically and financially.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Where are the parents? Why is she working to pay for her OLDER siblings college education? Why is she taking advanced placement classes if she can hardly find the time to attend?

Well, apparently she doesn't really need to attend the classes, as she is making excellent grades as it is. She does her studying in the wee hours of the morning, in between jobs. I think an exception needs to be made with her, as with any other student who is in a hardship position but still making good grades.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

What a great concept. Usually logical concepts are too hard to understand by American public officials.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Well, apparently she doesn't really need to attend the classes, as she is making excellent grades as it is. She does her studying in the wee hours of the morning, in between jobs.

Where are you getting that information from? It's not in the cited article.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

What fact should he be looking at? Was she truant? yes she was, it is that simple. The other fact is she was already given leniency for the same offense. I want to live in this world you live in, where people can just make excuses to get out of whatever trouble they get themselves into without taking any responsibility for their actions. She had been warned about this at least once and just simply chose to do it again. And please explain how if she was too tired to be in school she wasn't too tired to be out and about. It really is as simple as not leaving the house during school hours.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

Seems like the only ones who are shocked or pissed off are the ones actually living in America.
The rest of the word has already come to terms with the fact that we are a fascist nation.
Only the Americans seem to be stunned when they read # like this.

Why are we shocked!?!?!

THIS IS THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN!!!!
YES.......IT IS BETTER IN OTHER COUNTRIES!!!
YES.......IT IS WORSE IN OTHER COUNTRIES!!!

We don't live in other countries.
We live HERE in AmeriKA.
Everything you were brainwashed with in public school about how great our nation is was BULL#!!!!!!!!

Now then,
what's for dinner?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
As a business owner, I would hire this girl in a second.

I see a bright future for this young lady, her hard work will pay off.

I don't care how smart you are, I would rather see a hard worker trying than a slacker with a brain.

This girl has both brains and a very strong work ethic. Hats off to her.

Just a thought, if someone is an honor student in honor classes, why would it make since that they put her in jail for missing school? The point of the law is to make sure that the kids are getting the education they need, but obviously she gets the education even when she misses school.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Weird they wouldn't arrest my niece for truancy, and she skipped everyday. They told us we couldn't force her. And she's 16.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Since when can you arrest someone for missing school? Is this still the US? I just saw something on CNN about a school for disabled children where they are being shocked in class for misbehaving. What is our world becoming!!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apollo7

Since when can you arrest someone for missing school? Is this still the US? I just saw something on CNN about a school for disabled children where they are being shocked in class for misbehaving. What is our world becoming!!

It doesn't need to "become" anything, its already there. George Orwell would be proud,

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
IMHO, it seems most are missing what I think is the most glaring issue in the article.

After Tran’s parents divorced, they both moved away from the honor student and her two siblings.

College kid - ok definitely can see him on his own.

17 year old? - Questionable. I can see her wanting to stay put to finish high school if she were a junior or senior when this happened.

Younger sibling? - Doesn't mention the younger sibling's age, but I'm going to assume under 16 since it doesn't mention her working.

And now I'm yelling. HOW THE HECK DO THE PARENTS GET AWAY WITH ABANDONING THEIR CHILDREN???

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Unfortunately the problem is not confined to American public officials.
No, it's quite global but seemingly selective rather than rolling it out all at once. A miss here, a slip there, a bit of forgetfulness there, ah yes and my personal favourite, a form error, meaning some legal person made some innocent (?) but seemingly critical error on a legal form and therefore the suspect walks free automatically. To The Letter of The Law!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
IMHO, it seems most are missing what I think is the most glaring issue in the article.

After Tran’s parents divorced, they both moved away from the honor student and her two siblings.

College kid - ok definitely can see him on his own.

17 year old? - Questionable. I can see her wanting to stay put to finish high school if she were a junior or senior when this happened.

Younger sibling? - Doesn't mention the younger sibling's age, but I'm going to assume under 16 since it doesn't mention her working.

And now I'm yelling. HOW THE HECK DO THE PARENTS GET AWAY WITH ABANDONING THEIR CHILDREN???

It's certainly not lost on me....the poor girl wouldn't even be in this position had at least one parent stayed behind to uphold their responsibilities to children they brought into the world.

The whole situation saddens me...this girl was put into a position she didn't ask for or deserve and left to fend for herself and her younger sibling. Where are the parents and why haven't they been tracked down.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

I too am a business owner and would hire her before everyone of the dumb employees I have working for me right now. But, since she is pretty smart she will probably be out of my price range.

No one also seems to be able to answer the question of "Why put her in Jail (she will miss class)??" which is the whole point for her going to Jail in the first place. Un believable people in this thread trying to make it seem like she deserves it for some reason. Oh ya, IF WE LET HER GET A WAY WITH IT EVERYONE WILL GET A WAY WITH IT.....LOL. I always hated this stupid thought process.

In that way of thinking, if someone steals a car and they get put in Jail for 1yr or whatever than it should be the same for someone stealing a pack of gum at the liquor store.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Some people like to obey the letter of the law with no exceptions rather than the spirit of the law. It's a shame that we have such unimaginative people in this world.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Well, apparently she doesn't really need to attend the classes, as she is making excellent grades as it is. She does her studying in the wee hours of the morning, in between jobs.

Where are you getting that information from? It's not in the cited article.

I was watching this news video. The girl's friend says Diane stays up until 7:00a.m. doing her school work.

www.khou.com...

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join