It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honors student arrested for truancy...it gets worse.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

So obviously you did not read the article. I didn't say she was a criminal but you are clearly ignorant. The article clearly says this is not the first offense nor is it her first time in front of the judge for it. So go ahead and attack me for laying out the facts. But at least you have company in your own ignorance by at least +1

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Lol. Nice. I didnt call you ignorant but you calling me ignorant is just fine and dandy, OK. Whats your point?? You keep pointing out that "this is not the first time" and I UNDERSTAND that. But, it doesnt make it right.

A little discretion is sometimes a good thing. In this case I would say it is NEEDED.

Keep fighting the good fight and trying to make your point. Either way, it isnt right. If she was a Failure in School I would see you point but in this Case your point doesnt hold any Water.

Here is a link to a thread you may want to see on this site. You MIGHT be smarter than a Dolphin, but I doubt it. Dolphin VS ATS Member

edit on 25-5-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Of course she fell through the cracks and someone should have noticed but the truth is simple. If you are poor and struggling it puts you in a public school that is already overtaxed with more children than they can deal with. It is sad and it is unfortunate but ultimately this is what happens when you cut, slash and burn social services and education.

People are not mind readers maybe she was top proud to ask for the help if it were offered, the fact is no one really knows. The only things we know about this at all is she was truant, circumstance notwithstanding. Schools have a hard enough time dealing with failing students like everything else in this world if the problem isn't readily apparent how are they to know unless she speaks out? Add to this generally to be caught for truancy one has to be caught outside during school hours. They don't just come to your door to arrest you for that.So if she was too tired to go to school even if she were late then why is she not too tired to be out doing whatever she was doing?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I see perfectly well what you think. And I am sorry the rules have to apply to everyone equally period. Just because she does this, that and the other for whatever reason doesn't give her access to the special privileges club. I completely understand that it sucks, because she is trying but the law applies to all or it applies to no one. She was given multiple chances and time to figure out how to stop the truancy and decided the rules didn't apply to her for whatever reason. All the other things she has had to deal with she managed to handle responsibly, yet somehow she couldn't figure out how to not get caught in public during school hours?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

No, you have to have your parents permission to drop out before you are 18 or be emancipated.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

See, you say "all we know is that she was truant". False. We know the following as well:

Honor Role Student (read the article)
Raising Siblings (read the article)
Putting a Sibling through College (read the article)
Working Full Time (read the article)
Working Part Time (read the article)
TIRED AS HELL AS A 17 YR OLD (read the article)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

You can still do it legally at 16 needing your parents permission is irrelevant, sad as it is parents will generally just sign it. Which is why if you legally drop out you have to wait until 18 for your license in Ohio. To cut the dropout rate.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.
While I was in high school, I worked a part time job. You would get in trouble if you did not show up for class. But I never got arrested! However they did just fail me. If you miss more than 9 days out of 18 weeks, you got straight F's on your report card.
I did all my homework, and got straight B-C's. Yet I missed 15 days out of 18 weeks, and I got a report card that failed me in all classes. Even at that age I knew the system was screwed!

Having a job at that age, and dealing with a broken family, its easy to miss school.. But I did all my work, and got along with most my teachers. I was not a dumb kid. In fact I saw school for what it really was. A tool, to make you into an obedient worker drone. They spew a bunch of crap you do not need in real life. USA schools are a joke. Kids are much better off in home school. Public schools in the US, can indeed screw you up for life!

And they are going after the kids who bust their butts.. Does not say much for the system we put so much faith in.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama

See, you say "all we know is that she was truant". False. We know the following as well:

Honor Role Student (read the article) Raising Siblings (read the article) Putting a Sibling through College (read the article) Working Full Time (read the article) Working Part Time (read the article) TIRED AS HELL AS A 17 YR OLD (read the article)

None of this matters. Either the rules apply to every student equally or they apply to none. Using your logic I can come up with a list of hardships and good things I have done that make it ok to rob a bank. Just because she does all this other stuff has no bearing on the fact she was caught being not in school when she was supposed to be. You do not get a free pass to break rules just because you think they shouldn't apply to you. She was given a pass on this at least once instead of correcting the error she chose to do it again.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

This is way different than giving you an excuse to rob a bank. Come on now, your grasping at straws to prove a point.

Now, if you want to compare your hardships with hers than so be it. Did you raise your siblings when your parents divorced?? Put one of them through T A&M (not cheap)?? Worked Full Time and Part Time to do this?? At that same time you were doing this still managed to be on the Honor Role??

Maybe....let me know.

edit on 26-5-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Yet somehow thousands of kids in this country manage to hold jobs, deal with broken families and get themselves to school on time and graduate every year. See if you only had that second job according to some people around here you would have qualified for your get out of school free card. Sorry next time your just gonna have to work harder to get the special privileges. Get over it by your own admission it wasn't that it was too hard to go to school or get the grades you just felt and feel you were too good to have to.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

I see perfectly well what you think. And I am sorry the rules have to apply to everyone equally period. Just because she does this, that and the other for whatever reason doesn't give her access to the special privileges club. I completely understand that it sucks, because she is trying but the law applies to all or it applies to no one. She was given multiple chances and time to figure out how to stop the truancy and decided the rules didn't apply to her for whatever reason. All the other things she has had to deal with she managed to handle responsibly, yet somehow she couldn't figure out how to not get caught in public during school hours?

This is just insanity. Why do we have truancy laws? To keep kids in school. Why do we want kids in school? So they can get an education and succeed in life. This girl was on the honor role, meaning she had A's and B's. Clearly, she is succeeding. Seeing her success, why did the judge have to send her to jail? Send her to jail for .... succeeding??? At some point, there has to be some common sense here. If the girl was failing miserably, that's a whole different story. I'll bet she thought no one in their right mind would send her to jail for making A's and B's. The judge was wrong in his decision. He had an agenda, and that was to slam this asian girl for being a success without depending on the school system.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
If she still pulls the grades, does it matter? Seriously, they need to understand the extenuating circumstances.

It's like jobs I've had -- if I got all my work done and done well, nobody cared that I sometimes took extra time at lunch or that I got to work 30 to 45 minutes late almost every single day. Nobody ever bothered me once about it in the years I was there, in fact I continued to get raises every year because my work was good.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I look back at my trouble making days, and the leniency with which I was treated, almost seems like a slap in the face of this girl!

I feel exactly the same way. I used to skip school at least once a month, often more than that. I've cursed to teachers faces. I've literally been caught smoking "special herbs" down in the bush by the principle of the school. NONE of those times was I punished...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
In a free country, I don't like truancy laws, and I don't like curfews.

Not sure what else to say, but we really gotta quit saying America is a free country.

But you guys have been saying it all my life, can't stop now. Are you guys still not allowed to cross a road when you want?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by RealSpoke

In Texas the legal age to drop out of school is 16. It is mandatory to attend school between the age of 6 to age 16. You can legally quit school you can not be truant from school. More BS laws. She is jail because wh wanted to continue her education.

That is correct. Although there is a little catch. A person has to be 16 prior to the start of the school year. If a person turns 16 during a school year, that person is required to complete the current year.

However, in Texas a person is an adult at 17 and no longer required to attend school. Unless things have changed since I was in school, this judge actually ignored the law.

I actually dropped out at 17 to go on tour with my band. I did go back and finish, but I was 20 years old at my graduation. The only thing that bothered me about that was I never got to attend a graduation party as I did not know any of the people in my class.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Damn........

I would have permanently been in jail...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

She didn't go to jail for making A's and B's. She went to jail for being truant. If you are truant enough you no longer qualify for those A's and B's. She was already let go with a warning at least once she failed to correct the problem. It is this simple.

For the rule of law to work at all it must be applied equally. If it is not applied equally all you have done is effectively created an entitlement class. Doing this that and the other does not absolve her of the responsibility of being in school when she should be.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

None of this matters. Either the rules apply to every student equally or they apply to none.

That's just so scary I want to run screaming from my computer.

Wait! You're RIGHT! Sorry - I got carried away for a moment thinking Judges should be impartial and look at the FACTS instead of 'wanting to make an example of people' as the judge stated in the article!

Nooooo no no no no! You're right! It's all - SUBMIT AND OBEY - SUBMIT AND OBEY!

I'll stop now before I really tell you what I think.

peace

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I didn't know that in America this was illegal

That is horrible, no one around there thinks about changing this? Students must feel really oppressed.

I skipped so many times, weeks in a row.. I'd still be in jail

How about other naughty things? What happens when students decide to smoke a lil' something, get drunk in school property or argue (scream contest) with teachers, school officials?
edit on 26-5-2012 by Evansr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join