It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence Officers Raid Home Of UK Hostage's Brother!??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
How bizarre is this?

Amsterdam home of Ken Bigley's brother raided
By Colin Brown and Cahal Milmo
02 October 2004

Armed intelligence officers yesterday raided the Amsterdam home of Paul Bigley, the brother of British hostage Ken Bigley, in the hunt for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of the Arab terrorist group which is believed to be holding him.

An intelligence officer from the Foreign Office is alleged to have accompanied the Dutch intelligence officers during the raid. They seized Mr Bigley's computer and interrogated him about his alleged contacts with the Tawhid and Jihad group, which yesterday claimed responsibility for the Baghdad car bombings that claimed the lives of at least 35 children.

Material from Mr Bigley's computer hard-disk was downloaded and sent back for analysis in Britain and he was also forced to make a five-page statement.

Mr Bigley angrily denied he had any direct contacts with the terrorist group, headed by the Jordanian, who is believed to have personally carried out the beheadings of Kenneth Bigley's two American fellow captives.

He told friends that he was frightened by the raid. "He felt intimidated by their behaviour which was aggressive. He feels as though he is being treated like a criminal," said one ally of the family.

"He has no problem with them taking copies of all his e-mails. He is just angry that they have disrupted his campaign to get his brother freed."

Labour MPs were furious. Alan Simpson, the Labour MP leading the Labour against the War group, said: "It is bizarre that the British and Dutch authorities are treating members of the Bigley family like the enemy instead of al-Zarqawi or al-Qa'ida."

Mr Bigley insisted his only contacts with the captors were through al-Jazeera, the Arab television station, who were passing on his messages to al-Zarqawi's group. He denied having any direct contact with the group.

Paul Bigley last week warned Labour supporters at a fringe meeting at Labour's party conference in Brighton that Mr Blair was risking signing his brother's "death warrant" by not intervening personally with the captors.

There were fears among Labour MPs last night that the raid on Mr Bigley was intended to shut him up.

Having seen the two Americans butchered, the family rejected Foreign Office advice to keep a low profile to allow patient diplomacy to yield results. Instead, Paul Bigley and other members of the Bigley family have mobilised public opinion worldwide, including winning the support of Yasser Arafat.

The campaign has angered Iyad Allawi, the Iraqi prime minister, who protested at the media playing into the hands of the terrorists by giving prominence to photographs of Kenneth Bigley chained in a cage. Tony Blair and Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, also have been disconcerted by the family's claims that they have done too little and that Kenneth Bigley's blood will be on their hands, if he is executed.

Yesterday, thousands of leaflets carrying a plea from senior British Muslims to the kidnappers holding Mr Bigley that their actions are incompatible with the Islamic faith, were distributed in Baghdad.

[edit on 2-10-2004 by bushblows]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Yes i just heard this!

thanks as i just heard very little about what this was all about,
Skynews are only just reporting this so theres no links on there website yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushblows
How bizarre is this?
There were fears among Labour MPs last night that the raid on Mr Bigley was intended to shut him up.

I think the reason why the Intelligence people did this was exactly the above statement. This points to the notion that all these beheadings and kidnappings etc. are directly tied to the Intelligence agencies, such as the CIA. These terror groups etc., I think, are working under CIA rule. Maybe the Intelligence Agencies wanted to make sure that Paul Bigley had no documented information regarding the true nature of Ken Bigley's situation.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
asala - your welcome for posting this.

immortal - don't agree with you about the CIA being behind the kidnapping. Paul Bigley received a message from the kidnappers(supposedly) via al Jazeera. The communication implied his brother would be released.

If the kidnappers were really CIA operatives I doubt they'd make that implication; they probally wouldn't "pretend" to communicate with Paul at all. Thats just my opinioin, though.

They were probally just miffed Paul was taking matters into his own hands.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
more strangeness.
Now the Foreign Office is denying the "raid" was involuntary.
??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/2

a spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said neither British nor Dutch officials had carried out such a raid. "There was no raid," she said. "No British officials of any kind have raided Paul Bigley's home."

Dutch authorities also denied there had been a raid.

British and Dutch police had visited Paul Bigley this week but the meeting had been voluntary, Dutch public prosecutors' spokesman Wim de Bruin said.

"We worked with the British police to put them in touch with Mr Bigley. It was done on a voluntary basis. Anything the British police took away with them was on a voluntary basis," de Bruin said.

Bigley said the visit had made him feel like a criminal and had wasted time in the race to save his brother's life.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Yep, this is strange. I would like to see some video of his statement. Reading it, it sounds rehearsed me.

I lost two days of my campaign for this, but I totally understand what they are doing - they are simply trying to find the baddies

news.bbc.co.uk...

Mr Bigley says Dutch and British officers raided his home in the Netherlands, where he runs his own business.

"(They copied) my whole computer, which of course they are welcome to copy," he said.

Asked about a newspaper report which said the officers forced him to make a five-page statement detailing his recent activities, he said: "That's true."

"It's a very poor show... I felt diabolical," he said.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Yes, he sounds as if he's trying to depict the "raiders" in a positive light now. Perhaps he was coached, as you suggest, or maybe he's just spooked. (Can't say I blame him!)

It'll be interesting to see how this story unfolds.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
With all the trouble Ken's brother is going through, the last thing he wants is someone raiding into his house.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
this man is the biggest danger to the life of his brother. He has a political agenda - his ego is massaged by those who opposed the removal of Saddam and he has a platform from which to spout a load of nonesense.

His poor brother is being used as a pawn by both the terrorists and the anti-war cowards.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
minime - so true. As if seeing his brother in a cage isn't enough.

crossfire - you'd have to have a pretty fragile ego to get excited over Saddam supporters! Lets hope thats not the case. As for the anti-war crowd being "cowardly" - Mr. Blair isn't exactly an icon of Machismo.

But anyway...
Hopefully something new regarding Ken Bigley's fate will appear in the news soon.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL

Originally posted by bushblows
How bizarre is this?

I think the reason why the Intelligence people did this was exactly the above statement. This points to the notion that all these beheadings and kidnappings etc. are directly tied to the Intelligence agencies, such as the CIA. These terror groups etc., I think, are working under CIA rule. Maybe the Intelligence Agencies wanted to make sure that Paul Bigley had no documented information regarding the true nature of Ken Bigley's situation.

I totally agree with you. I think that most of the bombings in the world, behadings and other terror accidents, including Al-quida videos and 911 are all orchestrated by the CIA and Israel, with the Bush family & Co heading it. The SARS and other terrible things coming soon are also part of the same game. It's all about preservation of power, colonialism, interests, business and evil.

I am amazed, I would have never written the above just after joining this community... but now I know. Evil is ruling.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think that this hostage story deal could just be to draw blair and get to him in some way or other. After I heard about this today there more than there not telling you making deals behined our back to free him. And yet asking blair for help aswell Apperntly Mi-6 had a hand in the raid aswell at some point.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just checked the news about Mr. Bigley.
Apparently Kadaffi's family is now trying to secure his release??
Last week it was Arafat.

Though it might not seem appropriate for his brother to
reach out to such people....does he have a choice if the UK government
isn't doing anything? I only assume they aren't because Blair said "There's not much we can do" last week.

What a crazy situation.

top topics

join