It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Buddha prophesize the coming of Jesus?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I thought about typing some back story about how I found this but i dont want to bore your guys..I know its backwards but i'll save the intro for my next thread..but anyway:

i came across this blog while searching if anyone, outside of the Old Test/Christianity, prophesized the coming of Jesus..i guess i wanted a little more validation on my part..but this is the first im hearing about this. I did a search on ATS but nothing came up. Only bible verses..the guy does a pretty good job of debunking it..but still im wondering if there was ever a prophecy outside of Christianity?

looks like its from 09 so im sorry if this has been posted before..

source:

dhammaprotector.blogspot.com...

Some time in 2003 a website from Thailand appeared on the internet with an article making an extraordinary claim – that in the 5th century BC the Buddha prophesized the coming of Jesus Christ, and that this prophesy can be found in the Buddhist scriptures, the Tipitaka. This article was quickly picked up by other websites and blogs and since then has appeared in numerous others, as well as in several publications. Now (2009) there are at least four different versions of the supposed prophesy and yet more claims about it. Below is reproduced the most common version of this prophesy.

‘When Buddha was traveling and living in this world, there was an old Brahman priest who wore white robes who asked the Buddha, “How will all men and all Brahmins continue in their merit-making so as to escape the results of sin?” The Buddha answered, “Even though all of you give alms according to the 5 precepts, the 8 precepts, the 10 precepts, or the 227 precepts for 9 trillion years and you raise your hands and offer yourselves as a burnt offering, or you pray 5 times a day, you will still not escape the results of your sins. If you do this every day, your merit gained will only be equal to the smallest strand of hair of an unborn infant which is extremely small. You shall not enter heaven’s doors.” The old Brahman priest asked further, “What are we all to do to be saved?” The Buddha answered the old Brahman priest, “The results of sin and karma are very great, heavier than the sky, thicker than the earth, and so high that it would be like an angel dusting the corner-posts of the temple compound with a cloth post that are 18 inches high - dusting them one time per year - until the posts were worn down to the ground. When the posts are worn down, that’s how long it would take to end your sins.”

The Buddha said further, “I have given up my high position and entered the priesthood. I considered that even though I am good, I would have only a very small amount of merit at the end of the year. If I was given this same amount of merit for 100,000 epochs and live 10 more lifetimes, I would not be saved from sin’s results even once.

The old Brahman priest asked further, “So what should we all do?” The Buddha answered, “Keep on making merit and look for another Holy One who will come and help the world and all of you in the future.”

Then the old Brahman priest asked, “What will the characteristics of the Holy One be like?” The Buddha answered him, “The Holy One who will keep ??? the world in the future will be like this: in the palms of his hands and in the flat of his feet will be the design of a disc, in the side will be a stab wound; and his forehead will have many marks like scars. This Holy One will be the golden boat who will carry you over the cycle of rebirths all the way to the highest heaven (Nirvana). Do not look for salvation the old way; there is no salvation in it for sure. Quit the old way. And there will be a new spirit like the light of a lightning bug in all of your hearts and you will be victorious over all your enemies. Nobody will be able to destroy you. If you die, you will not come back to be born in this world again. You will go to the highest heaven (Nirvana).” ’

edit on 25-5-2012 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

According to this testimony of a Monk who died and and revived. In that time he was taken to Hell and Saw Buddha there. The Entity In Hell or some entity explains to him why he is there. He also saw Goliath there.

desburwell.hubpages.com...

Are You Ready For An Amazing True Story?

After reading this story, I felt so strongly to share this to the world. This story has to be told. It is SO POWERFUL. It will change the way you view buddhism. It will changed the way you view every religion. This story is of a buddhist monk, named Athet Pyan Shinthaw Paulu (we will call him Paulu), from Myanmar (Burma) whose life got completely changed after dying for 3 days and then coming back to life.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Perhaps Christianity lifted those elements from Buddhism, they certainly lifted other pieces from other religions.

(1) Mithra was born on December 25th as an offspring of the Sun. Next to the gods Ormuzd and Ahrimanes, Mithra held the highest rank among the gods of ancient Persia.

www.near-death.com...

I don't really want to offend anyone who believes it to be an unshakeable part of their faith that Buddha prophecized Jesus however this seems like another one of the times where Christianity adopted the elements of another belief and looked the other way.

Christianity never seems to have any retaliation against it for borrowing other religions stories.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EfficientP

Well, considering he spoke to Satan, well, Satan is the Great Deceiver. I have to question this story, really.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox
[mo
The Buddha neither comes nor goes, nor has any of the teachings said salvation is reliant on anybody else. Quiet clearly its a fabrication, as for Christ if you boil it down to the essential.He was reminding us there is another way to live that is superior to our current view.Don't hang on to either of them, for the way is not that of hanging on but rather letting go of what is not beneficial.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EfficientP

I have no idea if Buddhists prophesied the coming of Jesus or not though there were three kings present according to the story of his early days.

The vid about the decent into hell is offensive and upsetting. That so called 'christians' made this up is typical. No follower of Christ would be so nasty.

Why the story is likely a lie

It is basically a threat.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
well op i dunno
i have read that buddha chose to teach brahma;s law
that he said also the old ways and his teachings as well will be gone one day in the feature
and i have read that brahma (different from brahman) desided to have lodrd shiva or ish-vara for his son although that one actually noone have seen or been able to, or even found that possibility to see him to see shiva or ishvara (lord) till today - ias of the now in a sence of -n the universal now
so it would be nice to see the transliteration also of the text you speek of
now here some interesting phonetics and art en.m.wikipedia.org...
: www.urbandharma.org...
These `Three Jewels' form also the `Threefold Refuge' (ti-sara.na) of the Buddhist, in the words by which he professes, or re-affirms, his acceptance of them as the guides of his life and thought.

The Pali formula of Refuge is still the same as in the Buddha's time:

Buddha.m sara.na.m gacchaami Dhamma.m sara.n a.m gacchaami San gha.m sara.na.m gacchaami. I go for refuge to the Buddha I go for refuge to the Dhamma I go for refuge to the Sangha.

It is through the simple act of reciting this formula three times that one declares oneself a Buddhist.
edit on 25-5-2012 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
en.m.wikipedia.org...
giacch\omo and his nesun dorma sung by calaf

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Excellent find and thread. Good job OP.

I wouldn't be surprised someone as enlightened as Buddha would've seen the coming of Christ. They were both people of peace and well-being of others. So, while I don't hold Buddha up to the level of Messiah (even he states he's simply not that guy. Just smart, and a kind heart. Which in itself is a marvelous feat.) I wouldn't be surprised that he knew about the coming of such a being into this world. It would certainly explain how the three kings of the orient knew what signs to read. It had been part of their culture for 500 years.
edit on 25-5-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

Most who look at the Eastern Kings think that they were from the area of India, not as far as where Buddha was.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

This particular adoption that you are highlighting was facilitated in order to gently marry the Christian religion into the Roman Empire and avoid what seemed to be an inevitable and overwhelming dissension among it's citizens and slaves. It is not a biblically or theologically sound practice. I agree that Christianity is a mish-mash of pagan religions, but that decay is the result of the Imperialization of Christianity, and is not relevant to the true brotherhood of Christ.

It is easy to pick on such an obese and hateful religion, and it is even easier to project those failures onto the true brethren, but only apart from justice and reason. Please, never forget that the Empire that we are citizens and slaves to is a great beast and the resulting delusions are sickness to our general body of mankind. Be careful, when tossing aside lies, to not also toss aside truth.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
www.oremus.org...
en.m.wikipedia.org...
www.thinkbabynames.com...
bible.cc...
edit on 25-5-2012 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nii900
en.m.wikipedia.org...
giacch\omo and his nesun dorma sung by calaf

Nobody shall sleep!...
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o' Princess,
in your cold dark room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

You're wrong, Shakyamuni did not refer to Jesus. He intended to say the person who would reveal his true teachings, that person was Nichiren Daishonin. Go ahead and research about him. In this, the era of the 'Last day of the Law' it is when the Bodhisattva's will arise and spread the Law throughout the World. Jesus did study Buddhism and many of his precepts agree with those of the Buddha. However, there isn't a Holy One in Buddhism, as we believe everybody IS a Buddha. Please, do some research and do not mislead people.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
As a scholar of buddhism I have no issue with comparisons between jesus and buddha, however this statement appears as if buddha is rejecting his philisophy in favor of the jesus religion. And since it so precisely resembles the crown of thorns image I am going to have to reserve my conviction. It could be a hoax devised by an overzealous christian. Buddhism is not about religion, not even about a savior. Original Buddhism is about the inner light of meditation, the self. It matters not what buddha says, the truth has been known far longer and can be traced to the upanishads.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
see the visuals here too
( breath taking)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by falucho05
reply to post by beatbox

You're wrong, Shakyamuni did not refer to Jesus. He intended to say the person who would reveal his true teachings, that person was Nichiren Daishonin. Go ahead and research about him. In this, the era of the 'Last day of the Law' it is when the Bodhisattva's will arise and spread the Law throughout the World. Jesus did study Buddhism and many of his precepts agree with those of the Buddha. However, there isn't a Holy One in Buddhism, as we believe everybody IS a Buddha. Please, do some research and do not mislead people.

Please don't shoot the messenger...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
People, did you know read his words? He said that a guy did a pretty good job at debunking it and yet people are talking about whether or not it is a true prophecy.

He also was saying are there any other predictions OUTSIDE of Christianity predicting Jesus and I haven't seen one answer to this yet...

To answer your question, I do not know. I thought I saw something where a person was using Hindu Scriptures to show that it predicted Jesus, but that was actually Muhammad...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

interesting. so Muhammad prophesied Jesus coming??

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Buddha = JC

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join