It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks launches encrypted social network

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

WikiLeaks launches encrypted social network

www.bgr.com

Backers of the whistle-blowing organisation WikiLeaks recently launched Friends of WikiLeaks (FoWL), an encrypted social network for like-minded individuals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
wlcentral.org
wlfriends.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
well i'm not gonna lie. i just signed up for this. i remember at some point "anon" was planning on doing something like this. i kinda like the concept of this. and hell anything that isn't facebook has to be good.

from what i gathered is that the whole purpose of this social network is to connect with people that you don't know but share common ideologies with. sounds gnarly to me.

thoughts?

www.bgr.com

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
There will be many detractors of the certainty of such a social network.

And they are right to suspect, because we already know that the general posture by the totality of the establishment is that transparency is a violation of their 'freedom.' And when it comes to their freedom... they'll do anything to maintain and enlarge it.

But in theory, I like the possibility that such a network might exist and be available and free to everyone who does not agree that 'official secrecy' is not thoroughly abused....

I remain hopeful for the best... but we have all heard those who view anything from this quarter as potentially malevolent. Just as we hear there is malevolence to be countered on the flip side....

Too bad service and honor are not what they used to be 100 years ago (if they ever were at all - that is)

edit on 25-5-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well at least you feel that someone cares about privacy on this thing..

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

that sounded like it should have been a speech of v for vendetta.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This reminds me of Alex Jones' old failure of a community. I think he called it the Infowar Network or somesuch. Doubt it's still up. But, Wikileaks do have a few more followers than good old Alex. Maybe I'll even sign up. The problem with these kinds of communities is, most people have all their friends on Facebook, so for them to be able to move to FOWL instead of Facebook, they'd have to convince all their friends to move over as well, or at least open an account there. So, I forsee a slow start for FOWL.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
finaly
spread the word folks - lets make this thing popular !!!

Coming Soon!

This feature is not enabled yet, but check back soon to see FoWL in action!

anyway - direct https connection, no tracking cookies, no forced localisation, no ads...

this is what i want - lets smash fb

=)
edit on 25-5-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuncrazy

well i'm not gonna lie. i just signed up for this. i remember at some point "anon" was planning on doing something like this. i kinda like the concept of this. and hell anything that isn't facebook has to be good.

from what i gathered is that the whole purpose of this social network is to connect with people that you don't know but share common ideologies with. sounds gnarly to me.

thoughts?

www.bgr.com

unfortunately, I can't bring myself to signing up as I reckon this would be a top way for TPTB to get all of the "dissidents" in one place to slaughter. Guess I AM getting a bit paranoid But in saying all of that, I guess TPTB would then probably have ATS on its watch list anyhow. I have always wondered though, if people know that there are this 300 or so ELITE that are controlling everything, then why hasn't some group organised some type of co ordinated attempt to take em all out at once. Wouldn't that throw things into chaos. Oops, we the people should be above such terrible actions shouldn't we, we should all just sit down and "turn the other cheek"

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by steve1709

but then the terrorist win you know

jus sayin

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The problem, I see, with the internet now, is that Administrations/Governments/3 letter agencies (given strong enough argument) subpoena and GET records of even "secure" communications .... we gave them that power by being complacent and letting them create legislation in any manner they choose basically.

So even the most well thought out secure social network, so long as it is using the internet, is subject to perusal.

A different methodology needs to manifest itself; one by which each "user" is in direct control, and I mean DIRECT control of every element of their data and experience, up to and including chat communication. That isn't a problem, the problem lies in the transport, or the gateway for the rest of the world to see....so long as it is controlled by a singular OUTSIDE party, one can never be completely certain of their security.

I'm starting to believe that the next generation of completely secure social networking will have to be on the order of each individual running a scaled down instance of IIS or Apache or some other flavor, and the only link to the outside would be a relay pointing every other user to them and so on and so on. OR, each user becomes a relay to the next person to join. In this way, each user would be responsible for their own content on a wide scale....of course, if they turn off their server process or their computer, it all comes crashing down without some rerouting mechanism in place.

However, now I'm just babbling, anyway, yea I don't see even a FOWL from wikileaks giving me a warm and fuzzy "yay, im finally secure" feeling.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I don't trust Julian Assange. His whole deal feels like controlled opposition. As far as FOWL goes..I think FOWL=FOUL.

A #ing setup.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Woo Hoo, an encrypted network that anyone can sign up for?

What's to prevent tptb from infiltrating it?

Facepalm!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I just signed up for this.

Thank you so much for your link and information! S&F!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
gut feeling says "dont trust it."

i dont know could see authorities trying to press charges of domestic terorism just for loging in then maybe im just conditioned to think that way

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Why do I feel like as soon as I sign up, swat team is coming through my door and taking me to Gitmo? I just dont trust wikileaks or anon websites.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Sign up with an anonymous email address encrypted through proxy servers and you should be fine.

EDIT: Tormail.org email does the trick
edit on 5/26/2012 by Anonymous404 because: added information

edit on 5/26/2012 by Anonymous404 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
What a great alternative to Facebook and Twitter. I suggest everyone create an account, I sure will.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
GREAT IDEA!! GO WIKILEAKS W000T W000T!!

So the biggest traitor in the world, assange starts
a encrypted social network? Wonder who is going
to use that? Just good old people that don't like the man
cool people who's stuff is encrypted because it's so
cool to be crypt..

Know who is going to use this? Terrorist, that is who..

It will be used to brain wash the weak minded freedom fighting
terrorist. It will be used for criminal activity, and a staging ground
for terrorist to recruit and bid plans to kill innocent people.

This is not for anything good, this is not for the people, this
is for killing the innocent people..

When is assanges date with the gallows? The sooner the better.
A no good rapist, out to rape the good people of the world a little better
hope it feels goooooood.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Wow.

You obviously don't care to know how our government treats civilians overseas.

You don't care to know how our government plans to treat civilians here at home except with what they tell you.

These are things that WikiLeaks has given us. Insight. Transparency..

Enjoy your life Republicrat/Democran.

Some of us law abiding citizens enjoy our privacy.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

It's all good IMO.

Anything they release that incriminates the US/West is taken as MANNA from heaven. Conversely, anything leaked such as China is tired of North Korea and wont back them up any more and the fact that almost all of Iran's neighbors wanted the US to take them out [Which both of those stories were leaked] get ignored and dismissed as Propaganda

So meh...

edit on 26-5-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join