It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2.5 billion years old meteorite for sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

A meteorite dating back 2.5 billion years and described as the "oldest antique ever seen" is expected to fetch £9,500 when it is sold.

The 8lb football-sized rock was one of thousands which thundered into the Earth during a huge meteor shower.

It was discovered embedded in farmland in Africa over 20 years ago.

It goes on sale tomorrow (Friday) with the relatively earthly price tag of £9,500 at the Guildford Antiques and Fine art fair in London.

Dealer David Wackett's unique collection of rare meteorites and fossils are of such visual appeal that collectors now regard them as modern sculptures.

The items are said to be some of most unusual exhibits ever seen at any antiques fair.

Read the whole paper here

2.5 billion years old!!

A master piece that maybe traveled in space from another galaxy... or witnessed the young age of our own galaxy.

And it will surely serves as a clipboard in a boring office...

edit on 25-5-2012 by elevenaugust because: spelling

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Why so cheap? You think because of the age it would be more expensive, not to mention it being space debris.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Why so cheap? You think because of the age it would be more expensive, not to mention it being space debris.

Cheap? That sounds really expensive for some old rock. It's not like it has a Green Lantern ring in it or something.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I would of guessed it would of been in the millions or something. Due to the rarity of the item. It's not like a diamond where you can go to a cave and get it.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Does sound cheap, seeing as the one's that dropped in the US last month were estimated at $20,000 per kilo.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

But in another article I was reading on here when all the stuff was falling from the sky, someone mentioned the price of meteorites and most are tiny or pebble sized at best and they cost thousands, this is a whopping 8lb lump. And I must admit I find that purple tinge very fetching. Almost alien-like...

edit on 25/5/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I work in the Pilbara region of Western Australia (an area the approximately size of Texas) and our youngest rocks are approximately 2.5 billion years old.

How much do you reckon I could get for a few of them?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
£9,500, sounds like a bargain

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
That is kind of a young meteor....

2nd

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Rather cheap. I'vce purchased small pieces of old meteorites and their price goes similar to precious gems with that sizes such as amethists.

new topics

top topics

join