It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope's butler arrested in Vatican leaks scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
By Jean-Louis de la Vaissiere
Yahoo News

Pope's butler arrested in Vatican leaks scandal

It looks like the butler did it !!!

Vatican police arrested the pope's butler for having leaked confidential documents and letters from the pontiff's private study to newspapers. The butler was allegedly caught with papers in his possession.

Vatican police arrested Friday a man -- reportedly the pope's butler -- on allegations of having leaked confidential documents and letters from the pontiff's private study to newspapers.

The man was caught in possession of secret documents, the Vatican said, but it would not confirm the suspect's identity, age, or when he had been arrested.

But informed sources said the man was Paolo Gabriele, 46, who had been working as a butler in the papal apartments since 2006. One source said the pope was "saddened and shocked" by this "painful case."

Vatican Article

Responding to questions from the press, the Director of the Vatican Press Office Father Federico Lombardi said that "the investigations initiated by the Gendarmerie" on the dissemination of confidential Vatican documents” have identified a person in illegal possession "of such material." The individual involved, whose identity was not revealed, is being held for further questioning.

The action was taken on the instructions of the Commission of Cardinals under the direction of the Promoter of Justice.

The Cardinalatial commission was established by Pope Benedict in the wake of recent leaks of reserved and confidential documents on television, in newspapers and in other communications media.

Vatican: Individual in possesion of confidential documents identified

"the investigations initiated by the Gendarmerie"

I would hate to be under arrest by those guys !!!

The Corpo della Gendarmeria dello Stato della Città del Vaticano (English: Corps of Gendarmerie of Vatican City State) is the gendarmerie, or police and security force, of Vatican City. The corps is responsible for security, public order, border control, traffic control, criminal investigation, and other general police duties in Vatican City including providing security for the pope outside of Vatican City. The corps has 130 personnel and is a part of the Security and Civil Defense Services Department (which also includes the Vatican Fire Brigade), an organ of the Governorate of Vatican City.[1][2]

Corps of Gendarmerie of Vatican City

I wonder if the Jesuits or the Knights of Malta are involved ?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Someone accused of wrong doing at the vatican....
I wonder if they will just transfer him.

That's right. Sex abuse cover-up jab.

Those must have been some juicy letters for the butler to want them, but when you're wrong, you're wrong.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

first of all your picture of dale is awesome. and yes it must have been something BIG for this guy to take that kind of risk.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Must have been documents about all the child molesting priests they have hidden. Otherwise whats all the noise about?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
LMAO these guys are like liquid velvet and butter wouldn't melt in their mouths. Watch this get blown under the rug and not heard of ever again.

The Vatican is corrupt? How is that possible they are the head of the roman catholic religion that preaches goodness and love and all those rosy things we like to believe in. How could they with billions in donations world wide and property holding more than the queen of England be bad??

Next you will be telling me politicians only care about themselves and their immediate family and only get into politics to further their own financial gains. What insanity.

ETA: This could be something or another red herring. The euro zone is getting unstable this could be a distraction. but i doubt it. question is what the files could have been that caused this guy to risk his life. Trust me when I say the Vatican takes very seriously disobedience.
edit on 26-5-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight

first of all your picture of dale is awesome. and yes it must have been something BIG for this guy to take that kind of risk.

It's the pope, not a president. What could be so secretive? That Jesus had a tattoo? What?

Thinking a little deeper, if I were a christian I think I'd be a little concerned that my pope was keeping secrets from everyone.
edit on 5/26/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

It's the pope, not a president. What could be so secretive? That Jesus had a tattoo? What?

lmao you think the president has more power than the pope? lmao

how cute.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

how cute.

Did you deliberately miss the point that a president might have paper documents that should never fall into the wrong hands (or other governments), whereas the pope would have documents concerning pedophile priests that should immediately be released to the public?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

how cute.

Did you deliberately miss the point that a president might have paper documents that should never fall into the wrong hands (or other governments), whereas the pope would have documents concerning pedophile priests that should immediately be released to the public?

thats your assumption based on your understand on what you think the roles these people play.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
There's a remarkable amount of people not reading the links in this thread.

The cover up is all about MONEY and what the vatican does with it.

There. I saved you the time of having to Google.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Hmmm, the Pope's bank has been laundering money. Yet another failed attempt at keeping the lid on illegal activities. Haven't the faithful Christians had enough of these criminals running their religion?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404
There's a remarkable amount of people not reading the links in this thread.

The cover up is all about MONEY and what the vatican does with it.

There. I saved you the time of having to Google.

Thanks, but I did get there. The butler also had other documents as well. More and more secrets. What a shame.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Thanks, but I did get there. The butler also had other documents as well. More and more secrets. What a shame.

I want to know what else is covered up.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm surprised this hasn't got more attention on ATS considering the implications it could have. Could anything else of significance have been leaked besides financial information? I know that it was stated other documents were found. The question would be, how significant were those other documents?Here is the latest AP storyVatican in chaos after butler arrested for leaks So our religious leaders are corrupt, political leaders are corrupt, law enforcement are corrupt, bankers are corrupt, our media is corrupt. This is going to take a while to fix, you may want to strap yourself in kids, it's going to be a long and bumpy ride.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
More info and additional links:

Among the most serious leaks published this year is a letter from Carlo Maria Viganò, the former deputy governor of Vatican City, denouncing inflated contracts with friendly companies, false invoicing and missing cash.

Further revelations were published this week in a book by a journalist, Gianluigi Nuzzi, who described how an unnamed whistleblower sent emissaries to sound him out before they held secret meetings in an unfurnished rented flat near the Vatican. "I wore a USB round my neck for six months with the leaked documents on it," Nuzzi said. "It was like something out of a film."

www.guardian.co.uk...
So financial issues are part of this and it does not surprise me that even the Vatican falls victim to the lust of money and corruption. Transparency for such an organization could only come by an act of god....oh wait a minute......

new topics

top topics

join