It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reddit Founder And Activists Aim To Build A 'Bat-Signal For The Internet'

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Reddit Founder And Activists Aim To Build A 'Bat-Signal For The Internet'

Forbes

“People who wish to be tapped can see, oh look, the Bat-Signal is up. Time to do something,” says Ohanian. “Whatever website you own, this is a way for you to be notified if something comes up and take some basic actions…If we aggregate everyone that’s doing it, the numbers start exploding.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-5-2012 by TheEnlightenedOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2012 by Maxmars because: FIXED LINK

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea, the last event we had back in Jan when a few big companies blacked out their sites in order to make a point. This is like "I dare you to try it again" kind of idea.

I personally will add this to my website and have my clients take action upon seeing the Bat-Signal on my site.

[url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/05/25/reddit-founder-and-activists-aim-to-build-a-bat-signal-for-the-internet/]www.forbes.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I like. We need stuff like this to unite against our common enemy - corrupt politicians.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
this is pretty awesome. I'm really wishing i could find this article in spanish. i got some people i'd like to share it with.

S+F for you my friend .

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Maybe ATS could arrange a widget for site users so we are all notified via the front page if the bat signal goes active, i would appreciate knowing it is up and for why, when it is.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
if the ` bat signal ` is activated when your ISP is off-line how will you know ?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I think it's more intended for warnings about new laws like SOPA, so that we can alert all of the Internet before they are being voted on. That way they can't sneak them through without anyone knowing about them.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gauss
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I think it's more intended for warnings about new laws like SOPA, so that we can alert all of the Internet before they are being voted on. That way they can't sneak them through without anyone knowing about them.

I think you are right. When SOPA came about no one really knew (by "no one" I am not including us here at ATS, we knew it long before it happened) what was going on until other companies decided to carry on their black-outs on that day.

By conducting this type of strategy and depending on how many web-masters implement this code into their website, then people who frequent to other sites other than ATS, will get the warning and learn about it in a hurry instead of waiting for the media to "educate" them.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Man I was just on reddit this morning and thought about making a thread about this!
But oh whell star and flag to you for getting the word out

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I signed up to this sucker!

Always willing to be part of the solution.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I've got a few of my sites up on there now

S&F for you for keeping us up to speed!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Great idea..! troll bosses are trembling.. more trolls needed...more quality jobs

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by R_Clark
Great idea..! troll bosses are trembling.. more trolls needed...more quality jobs

Thanks for teh laff. More trolls needed, there must be an industry shortage after all the positions avilable both here and at GLP are filled.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I absolutely love Reddit and the innovative ways which the community and the founders put up always. Good going! Upvote for Karma.

top topics

join