It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Take On The Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This is coming from the viewpoint of an atheist and isnt meant to bash your relgion.

2 days ago in school we were talking about how many stories in the bible are supposed to be taken metaphorically, not literally. Like the story of Noah and Adam and Eve. They have hidden meanings that we are supposed to see and understand (what they are off the top of my head, i cant remember). What I think the bible is, is just a big entire metaphor upon in itself. If Noahs Ark and the Great Flood can be a metaphor, why not the story of Jesus? Im thinking that the Gospels, since that is where the life of Jesus is located, is just meant to show us not just the Christian way to live, but just the way we shoudl treat each other in general. People take the story of Jesus and all that crap too literally, and that we should all try and be EXACTLY like that. I for one do not believe in there bieng a guy named Jesus, that turned water into wine, or rose form the dead, or rose OTHER people from the dead, or in any of the other stories in the Gospels about Jesus (although some of the events in the Gospels and other books are true). I believe that we should all just respect one another and get along and try to be good people. Alot of the teachings in the bible are actually very good, like MOST of the 10 Comandments, Thou Shalt Not Steal, Kill, Commit Adultery, and so on and so on. But they are not words from God or words inspired by God. They are just words written down by someone that wanted to try and make the world a better place.

Questions? Comments? Atheist Bashing?

Thats my opinion, have your own.

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
That's always been one of my big points when I'm arguing religion. I'm a Christian, but am always questioning to find out more. Like I said in another post, Hell was a huge block for me. When arguing this my friends always say "It's a metaphor". That just seems awefully conveniant to explain away everything that doesn't fit as just being a metaphor.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Dreamland, I whole heartedly agree. The Bible is nothing more than one huge metaphor, with some historical facts. Which means, in my eyes, it is just a piece of fiction, mixed in with non-fiction.

The Bible is a set of ideals that we can live by to make our lives, possibly, better. The Bible of course can also be used as a means to control people - which can be observed all around us. The Bible should be interpreted by each of us, alone. The people who let other people interpret the Bible are the ones who are controlled... for the most part. The same goes for other religious text.

No religious text should be taken as matter-of-fact though.

[Edited on 10-28-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I won't go so far as to say Jesus was a metaphor. Everyone, even non-Christians believe that Jesus was a real person. It is confusing, though, not knowing what you should take as a metaphor and what to take leteraly.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
It is confusing, though, not knowing what you should take as a metaphor and what to take leteraly.

Indeed, when Im sitting in Understanding Catholic Christianity class waiting for the bell to ring to get off to Spanish (fav class), and I hear some story about how Noah was 200yrs old or something and how he took 2 of every animals, and I ask how the # is that possible (not those words). Its a metaphor!! Adam and Eve living in the Garden of Eden. Its a metaphor!! Moses and the Israelites wondering around in the desert for 40 years. Guess what?? Its a metaphor!! If all those stories can be metaphors, why not Jesus (or Jebus as I like to call him
)??

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

Originally posted by Herman
It is confusing, though, not knowing what you should take as a metaphor and what to take leteraly.

Indeed, when Im sitting in Understanding Catholic Christianity class waiting for the bell to ring to get off to Spanish (fav class), and I hear some story about how Noah was 200yrs old or something and how he took 2 of every animals, and I ask how the # is that possible (not those words). Its a metaphor!! Adam and Eve living in the Garden of Eden. Its a metaphor!! Moses and the Israelites wondering around in the desert for 40 years. Guess what?? Its a metaphor!! If all those stories can be metaphors, why not Jesus (or Jebus as I like to call him
)??

This all sort of brings me to my main question about all of this. Why oh why did God make it so hard to find him? Why are there so many distractions, so many ways to get lost? And if you do get lost...oohhh you know what happens to you!! I mean, I'm glad I found Jesus (Because this IS what I believe in.) but what about all those poor souls that get lost along the way? I feel like I'm not going to be able to live with myself if I'm in heaven...knowing that there are so many people that led good lives suffering. Then again, who am I to say things like this. I've never even read the whole bible haha.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The Book of Revelation says that when Jesus returns for a second time at the Apocalypse, that of the people on Earth, only 144,000 would make it into heaven. Doesnt seem like alot in a world of 6 Billion does it?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
This is coming from the viewpoint of an atheist and isnt meant to bash your relgion.

2 days ago in school we were talking about how many stories in the bible are supposed to be taken metaphorically, not literally. Like the story of Noah and Adam and Eve. They have hidden meanings that we are supposed to see and understand (what they are off the top of my head, i cant remember). What I think the bible is, is just a big entire metaphor upon in itself. If Noahs Ark and the Great Flood can be a metaphor, why not the story of Jesus? Im thinking that the Gospels, since that is where the life of Jesus is located, is just meant to show us not just the Christian way to live, but just the way we shoudl treat each other in general. People take the story of Jesus and all that crap too literally, and that we should all try and be EXACTLY like that. I for one do not believe in there bieng a guy named Jesus, that turned water into wine, or rose form the dead, or rose OTHER people from the dead, or in any of the other stories in the Gospels about Jesus (although some of the events in the Gospels and other books are true). I believe that we should all just respect one another and get along and try to be good people. Alot of the teachings in the bible are actually very good, like MOST of the 10 Comandments, Thou Shalt Not Steal, Kill, Commit Adultery, and so on and so on. But they are not words from God or words inspired by God. They are just words written down by someone that wanted to try and make the world a better place

In Noah the meaning was if we do wrong and sin is we will be punished, I believe that. In the days of Noah everyone was having a great time, sinning, and they paid, but it was a local flood, I believe.
As you have stated, how you believe that is we are good to others, that is exactly what I too believe, treat others as you would want them to treat you. If we do that there would be less "I'm right -You're wrong in your beliefs" over religion, and in the world,........ and the constant fight over religions would stop if everyone only listened to their own heart. We all know what is wrong,and what is the right thing to do, and what we choose to do, shows the type of person, and the kind of heart we have.
Well said dreamland and very deep. That was an excelent post

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamlandmafia

Hi Dreamlandmafia

The account recorded in Genesis is a very accurate book within the Bible. Archeology and other fields are attesting to the accuracy of the accounts found there.

Here is a podcast of an adventurer who through using the Bible found archeology that substantiates it.
soundcloud.com...

This podcast has an interesting take on Sodom and Gamorah soundcloud.com...

new topics

top topics

join