It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else feeling the pinch from the price of gas?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

It's seriously getting on my nerves. The price of fuel in this country has a straglehold on us. I'm sick of dumping endless $20 bills into my tank. My buddy has a pick up truck and it costs him $100 to fill up. I'm ready to revolt I'm sick of it. Anytime I want to go somewhere OPEC has it's hand in my wallet.

The people of this country need to band together and revolt. Voteing don't work we are controlled by the corporations.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

You haven't seen nothing yet. It'll probably peak around 6 dollars a gallon by mid summer.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Good news! They aren't going to raise the gas tax(yet)

But prepare to pay a toll at all bridges.

EDIT: Here's something to think about. Gas is only trading at $90.87 at the moment. But the break at the pump isn't proportional.
edit on 25-5-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well the guys making the rules and prices look at it like this:

It's a commodity, they can charge whatever they want and if you want it bad enough you'll pay for it. Or you'll walk... Which they are obviously doubting you will do and they're probably right about most of us, hell most of us don't have the option of walking to and from places miles away and with our children. Either way, I highly doubt we'll ever see gas below $3 and if so not very much below that mark, ever again. People could always start riding the bus if it's available in their area, I mean its a hell of a wait and you have to tolerate all kinds of strange people but in my area its $1 to go somewhere, the return is $1, so going to the store only costs $2 and no car payment, insurance, or repairs, and even if you go two places a day you're still most likely paying less than half than you would be in gas... Some people don't have the bus as an option though and others just don't want to use it and will make any excuse they can come up with. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and you wouldn't hear one peep of complaint out of me if you did figure out a way to make them lower the price of fuel. I just don't see how you or anyone else is going to do it, the politicians certainly aren't on your side...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It is still nothing compared to here in Europe though. The liter price here has been over $2.8 lately.
And now on top of this they are going to add co2 taxes to make it even more expensive.
edit on 25-5-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
$3.51 a gallon in Michigan

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I passed my driving test in january, they wanted around £2500 minimum for insurance, on top of that road tax, MOT, the cost of buying petrol and any repairs that will more then likely be needed on a car worth around £700.

Fair to say that i refused to buy into this. What a joke, i swear there purposely pricing people off of the roads.
Im alright now its summer, but come winter i cant walk everywhere because i dont want to walk the streets at night.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
LOL I hear you. It sucks and I hate having to pay so much. But I think Americans are being a bit of whiners about this. You can't get gas cheaper anywhere else except Venezuela. I'm pretty sure gas in Europe is about $8.00 per gallon and I KNOW it's way more expensive in Canada. Filling up the tank of our rented car in Finland last summer almost choked me.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
well here in the UK its generally twice the price at best compared with the USA but the best thing to do is to perhaps trade in your gallons per mile vehicle to something a bit more fuel efficient (i know thats considered just above child abuse in america but its an idea) plus also consider car sharing/teleworking/getting a motorbike and just putting some thought into getting the best use out of the tanks fuel

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Yah, unfortunately it is at around $4/gallon or higher at some locations in my area...

And that's a drop from a week or so ago...

Everyone needs do something rad like refuse to drive for a day or a week (employers allow workers to telecommute) and that would open some eyes...

reply to post by juleol

I understand that the price of gas/petrol is higher in Europe, but you have to understand the vastness of the US and what with all of our commute times, and lack of public transport...I think it evens out some....

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The peasants are revolting!

Gas is $4.45 here.

Revolting won't really do any good either. They'll just be named terrorists.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
You Americans haven't got a clue about the REAL cost of gas/petrol

In the UK a litre of petrol is around the £1.40 mark which means an Imperial Gallon costs around £6.40 or $11.50

In America you have been sudsidised by the Government and protected whilst the rest of the world suffers.......

I drive alot through my work and pay for my own fuel as I'm self employed....... I have a TTS roadster and have a slightly heavy right foot......!!

my bill = 28,000 miles per year x approx 32 mpg x £6.40 = £5600 / year ...... so I budget around £6k per year for fuel alone ($11k / year)

One of my suppliers was over from Holland and the cost of fuel there is 2.50 Euros per Litre !!!!!!!!! (approx £9.31 / gallon)

To Quote Morpheus - "Welcome to the REAL world my American Cousins"

Enjoy the Sun

PDUK

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think looking at the 10 most popular cars on sale in the US currently may shed some light on this.

10. Toyota Corolla
MSRP: $15,450 - $18,960

Fuel Economy: 35 mpg Hwy/26 mpg City

9. Honda Civic
MSRP: $15,605 - $25,490

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg Hwy/26 mpg City

8. Honda Accord
MSRP: $21,180 - $29,730

Fuel Economy: 33 mpg Hwy/23 mpg City

7. Ford Fusion
MSRP: $19,720 - $28,645

Fuel Economy: 29 mpg Hwy/22 mpg City

6. Dodge Ram 1500
MSRP: $20,610 - $41,585

Fuel Economy: 20 mpg Hwy/14 mpg City

5. Honda CR-V
MSRP: $21,695 - $27,895

Fuel Economy: 28 mpg Hwy/21 mpg City

4. Nissan Altima
MSRP: $19,900 - $30,100

Fuel Economy: 32 mpg Hwy/23 mpg City

3. Toyota Camry
MSRP: $19,720 - $29,370

Fuel Economy: 33 mpg Hwy/22 mpg City

2. Chevy Silverado
MSRP: $20,850 - $41,775

Fuel Economy: 20 mpg Hwy/15 mpg City

1. Ford F-150
MSRP: $22,415 - $51,140

Fuel Economy: N/A

Now clearly - the highest MPG I saw above is a meagre 35mpg for extra urban (the city MPG obviously lower) so its no wonder you people suffer so much when what seems like a pretty low rise to most of the other countries.
I would be wondering why your country cannot start getting in vehicles that offer 50+mpg, and no they don't need to be pocket sized vehicles.

Economical 4x4s
These cars - just shy of 50mpg on the combined cycle.

Pickup Trucks
We have pickups over here that do 35mpg combined, against your frankly obscene 20 for the Chevy Silverado.

Maybe its time you Americans started demanding more economical vehicles, rather than having this absurb approach to just keep churning out VERY uneconomical vehicles as though oil is an infinite resource.
Over here in the UK, they are producing vehicles that are knocking on 80mpg. Same all round the world.
Over there, it seems no one is trying the same approach. Vehicles still being produced with 6litre V8s in them and screw the fuel cost.
As an outsider it almost smacks of total arrogance and disdain for the fuel supply. If all Americans replaced their 18mpg vehicles with 36 mpg models, would the fuel not go twice as far, would the bills be halved?

If you drive "thirsty" cars you can expect to get hammered at the pumps.
Buy an economical vehicle.

Personally - it grates me to hear people complaining about paying under half the cost of fuel we are faced with...fuel over here in the UK is so expensive and only going to get more so as they put yet more fuel duty on it.

Regards
F

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Yep. I cooked and sold my own genitals this morning for half a tank.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
the oil industry is a monopoly, doesn't matter how much oil is available, it is how much gas the oil companies want to process in their own refineries, to acquire as large as a profit as they can get.
my 2 cents...the US government should build their own refineries, 2 on the west coast, 2 on the east coast, and 2 along the gulf with a maximum profit of 5 cents a gal. the US would then buy crude oil on the open market. this would provide affordable gas (hopefully) and give the big oil companies competition. the profit would, by law, be spent on the US highway system, in upgrades and maintinance.

by the way...gas out here in stockton, calif.....$ 4.17 a gal. for regular
edit on 25-5-2012 by jimmyx because: added text

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by facchino
I think looking at the 10 most popular cars on sale in the US currently may shed some light on this.

10. Toyota Corolla
MSRP: $15,450 - $18,960

Fuel Economy: 35 mpg Hwy/26 mpg City

9. Honda Civic
MSRP: $15,605 - $25,490

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg Hwy/26 mpg City

8. Honda Accord
MSRP: $21,180 - $29,730

Fuel Economy: 33 mpg Hwy/23 mpg City

7. Ford Fusion
MSRP: $19,720 - $28,645

Fuel Economy: 29 mpg Hwy/22 mpg City

6. Dodge Ram 1500
MSRP: $20,610 - $41,585

Fuel Economy: 20 mpg Hwy/14 mpg City

5. Honda CR-V
MSRP: $21,695 - $27,895

Fuel Economy: 28 mpg Hwy/21 mpg City

4. Nissan Altima
MSRP: $19,900 - $30,100

Fuel Economy: 32 mpg Hwy/23 mpg City

3. Toyota Camry
MSRP: $19,720 - $29,370

Fuel Economy: 33 mpg Hwy/22 mpg City

2. Chevy Silverado
MSRP: $20,850 - $41,775

Fuel Economy: 20 mpg Hwy/15 mpg City

1. Ford F-150
MSRP: $22,415 - $51,140

Fuel Economy: N/A

Now clearly - the highest MPG I saw above is a meagre 35mpg for extra urban (the city MPG obviously lower) so its no wonder you people suffer so much when what seems like a pretty low rise to most of the other countries.
I would be wondering why your country cannot start getting in vehicles that offer 50+mpg, and no they don't need to be pocket sized vehicles.

Economical 4x4s
These cars - just shy of 50mpg on the combined cycle.

Pickup Trucks
We have pickups over here that do 35mpg combined, against your frankly obscene 20 for the Chevy Silverado.

Maybe its time you Americans started demanding more economical vehicles, rather than having this absurb approach to just keep churning out VERY uneconomical vehicles as though oil is an infinite resource.
Over here in the UK, they are producing vehicles that are knocking on 80mpg. Same all round the world.
Over there, it seems no one is trying the same approach. Vehicles still being produced with 6litre V8s in them and screw the fuel cost.
As an outsider it almost smacks of total arrogance and disdain for the fuel supply. If all Americans replaced their 18mpg vehicles with 36 mpg models, would the fuel not go twice as far, would the bills be halved?

If you drive "thirsty" cars you can expect to get hammered at the pumps.
Buy an economical vehicle.

Personally - it grates me to hear people complaining about paying under half the cost of fuel we are faced with...fuel over here in the UK is so expensive and only going to get more so as they put yet more fuel duty on it.

Regards
F

Excellent Post.....!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
What people are feeling at the gas station is forced conservation via the gestapo EPA higher the cost less people consume and that translates in a myraid of places called the economy.

Thank the church of climatology for that.
edit on 25-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
this would provide affordable gas (hopefully) and give the big oil companies competition. the profit would, by law, be spent on the US highway system, in upgrades and maintinance.

This would never happen. The corporations, and especially the oil companies, own America. I mean for f****'s sake, our last Vice President was once the CEO of Halliburton! Most of these politicians have a hand or two in the oil business. The whole thing is a farce!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
According to the laws of supply and demand it seems to me that Americans big gas guzzling cars have kept our prices down here in the States.

I think the proof is in the Statement made by the previous poster "Maybe its time you Americans started demanding more economical vehicles, rather than having this absurb approach to just keep churning out VERY uneconomical vehicles as though oil is an infinite resource. above.

You folks in Europe have 50mpg vehicles and you are paying twice the fuel costs we are in the States.

That aside, it does not matter how many MPG we get as they will ALWAYS rape us to the fullest extent possible.
I got even with the con artist traders and oil companies though. I simply moved 10 minutes from work and stopped driving anywhere I do not have to. In turn this has surely hurt a tremendous amount of businesses (including mine), great cycle of mutually assured destruction.

edit on 25-5-2012 by Mamatus because: I suck at speeeeling

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MrUncreated

its the same in the UK - they just strive to make it as costly as possible.
As another poster said above - if they dropped the fuel duty people would be able to afford more, haulage companies would make more profits, emply more people, goods would be cheaper, people could buy more goods, more employment, more tax revenue.
But no, lets hike it up and cause the reverse effect.

This is a pretty good site Fuel Prices across Europe, shows the costs of fuel in european countries.
I am amazed to see that a few countries have it worse than us as well...

Here is a breakdown of the price of "gas" in the states...
US Fuel price breakdown

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join